If you tag out early....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mike_mc
500 Club

If you tag out early....

Unread postby mike_mc » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:16 pm

If you tag out early, what do you do the rest of the season?

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: If you tag out early....

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:28 pm

shoot does, film friends, hunt ducks grouse or pheasant, earn brownie points with significant other to build up for the next season?!?! lots of options :D :D :D
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:08 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:shoot does, film friends, hunt ducks grouse or pheasant, earn brownie points with significant other to build up for the next season?!?! lots of options :D :D :D

X2 with an emphasis on filming buddies and pheasant hunting 8-)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Film friends and scout, but I don't think I will have to worry about tagging out. I'll be happy just to fill one tag this year.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Two states nearby are OTC N/R one is two buck limit the other is three buck limit.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:06 pm

I have 5 tags between bow and gun. Never killed more than 2 deer in a season so I doubt I will ever tag out. I like to hunt right up to the last day of late season and make it last as long as possible.

But if I would tag out I would finish the season with my 2nd favorite hobby.......Musky Fishing. As much as I love it I cannot seem to take myself away from bowhunting for even one day. Bowhunting is still my #1 priority.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:17 pm

I have unlimited tags where I hunt... But back when the deer were managed I would hunt another state.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:15 pm

I jump in my truck and head for another state. tags are available over the counter for Ohio, and Minnesota...both of which I love to hunt!
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:22 am

Off to other states! :D Nebraska may be on the list this year,but will have to tag out fairly early.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:31 am

I buy a tag in Minn. They are OTC ;)
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:54 am

I get any extra hours I can anywhere I can find work so that next season I can hunt more
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:05 am

Only happened to me once, and I just switched my bow out for a video camera. I "hunted" areas's I might not have just to see.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:23 am

Dewey wrote:I have 5 tags between bow and gun. Never killed more than 2 deer in a season so I doubt I will ever tag out. I like to hunt right up to the last day of late season and make it last as long as possible.

But if I would tag out I would finish the season with my 2nd favorite hobby.......Musky Fishing. As much as I love it I cannot seem to take myself away from bowhunting for even one day. Bowhunting is still my #1 priority.

About the situation as yours......can't wait for second season bowhunting. Just enjoy bowhunting then so much better.

Haven't hunted once yet this year, can't put the musky rods down.....I guess this is where we differ. :lol:

My boy wants to do the youth hunt this weekend but has been sassy lately....we will probably fish.
Last edited by Hodag Hunter on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:30 am

I would do a little more grouse/duck/goose hunting, some extra in season scouting and probably try and setup some family members on some deer. They do allow party hunting in MN so filling someone else's tag isn't out of the question if they give me the ok.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:38 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:I have 5 tags between bow and gun. Never killed more than 2 deer in a season so I doubt I will ever tag out. I like to hunt right up to the last day of late season and make it last as long as possible.

About the situation as yours......can't wait for second season bowhunting. Just enjoy bowhunting then so much better.

Haven't hunted once yet this year, can't put the musky rods down.....I guess this is where we differ. :lol:

My boy wants to do the youth hunt this weekend but has been sassy lately....we will probably fish.

You are lucky to be in good musky country. I don't have many options down here otherwise I would probably hit the lakes more especially mornings. It just doesn't seem the same fishing down here for musky. Tried Pewaukee once but nothing like the Northwoods experience. I need some scenery to look at when I am fishing. :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”