Ever just find "the spot" when scouting?--my find today

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Ever just find "the spot" when scouting?--my find today

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:23 am

Well I went out and scouted a section of the public land I hunt on a military base. The area above the creek is "bow only". Right when the gun season kicked off in mid-November, the road used to access this spot washed out. It has been off limits to drive for nearly 4.5 months. The bow only section by the creek was shutdown during the prime time of the rut. The area above the washed out road is a gun area that basically noone hunted because of the road situation. So I looked at the map and determined I wanted to scout the middle of the property because that area is the farthest from any potential hunters that used the outer perimeter this past hunting season. Noone had access to the road, besides the gates on the right and left side of the "washed out road".

So I scouted between the two rock quarry sites to the south of the creek. There was not much buck sign, other than a pretty solid scrape line up on higher ground and one waist high rub on a small shelf. But there was considerable doe sign and beds. I actually spooked some does that scattered and ran up into the area that divides the two rock quarries. That is how I found "the spot". As I trailed the deer to see where they fled under stress I found a tremendous area. The rock quarry sections are surrounded by a long, 8 foot high fence. There is only one apparent opening, which I marked in blue. I got down by the creek and walked through a briar patch until I found a flat spot where the deer cross from that break in the fence to the place I have to hunt to the north of the creek. It was LOADED with tracks. As I backed off the creek I found some great trees to hunt from......

The hills that border the rock quarries are big for this area. I bet some of the older bucks live on those large hills to the south of the creek, on private property...most of it unhunted because the property is a business. It is a natural funnel created by the two rock quarries, the 30 foot break in the fence, and the ravines that lead right into the creek. I bet some nice bucks come right down those ravines, cross the creek, and come check out the does as the rut nears. In fact, I am banking on it. I would like to hunt this spot 3-4 times this year, giving it enough time to "cool off" between hunts unless it is hot with action.

So what do you all think? Any thoughts that are different than mine? When and how would you hunt the area? Time of year? Morning or night? Thanks guys.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/virginiashadow/7-2.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/virginiashadow/7-1.jpg

virginiashadow
500 Club

Re: Ever just find "the spot" when scouting?--my find today

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:26 am

virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:33 am

Hopefully some bigger pics. The blue dot is the break in the fence.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:14 am

I think your biggest issue at the spot you picked is going to be that hunting in a ravine is going to cause your scent to travel up and down the ravine and it going to be really tough not to get winded before your shot opportunity. If I were dead set on hunting that spot I would likely wait till the right moon phase, or weather conditions and hunt it in the morning when the scent rises more than falls. I assume there is good bedding on the top of the ridge to the south of the fence opening.
Your going to have to pay real close attention to the thermals and what they will do a half hour before closing time if you evening hunt the spot.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:28 am

Dan, I envisioned myself hunting that spot in the morning, or if the temps are rising rapidly. I also told myself that I would not hunt it until the first bucks start cruising. I will hunt that spot from an hour before sun-up to mid-day, then get out of there unless the thermals start rising hard. I not only would get visually picked off if I entered in the afternoon, but more than likely get winded. The areas to the south of the creek are hills with thick grass/bushy areas. I bet a buck could sit in there all day, and may never even be seen, plus it is not hunted.

So my formula for the spot is 1)bucks just started cruising (for me right around Halloween) 2)morning hunt or rising thermals 3) light rain/wind could off-set and possibly allow me to hunt in the afternoon.

As usual Dan and others, I appreciate your feedback and do not mind anyone disagreeing with me. I just like to dream and learn.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:30 am

Sounds to me like your plan is a good one.
One other thing I would consider is figuring out a entrance and exit path taking you in there with the least amount of crossing the deer paths. If you don't have to cross them you may get more hunts out of that spot during the rut.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:42 am

The entrance/exit is going to be challenging. I have even thought about bringing my canoe/kayak down there one Sunday (no hunting that day here in VA), store it a good 1/2 mile upstream, then cruise in and hunt that spot in the morning, thereby not walking on any doe crossings. I also scouted all over that area this morning and marked off many of the thickets and edge lines. If I had to walk in by foot I will take a route with the least amount of disturbance. Ideally I want 3-4 hunts out of that spot over a 10 day or so period. Where I hunt I have to take advantage of the cards I am dealt and this spot looks like it holds some pretty good cards that were not played last year, and they might even get better. Factors leading me to my decision were: distance from the road, road closed since the height of the rut last year means bucks survived, in fact the entire area was closed many times since Mid-November, natural funnel...I have to narrow it down and go for it, sometimes guessing that my thoughts are correct. The proof will be in the pudding next year when I sit for a day or two. :)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:49 pm

I immediately focused on your major creek crossings in yellow, especially the outer crossings to the east and west. I think there's a great chance you will be scent checked and cleared (buck gone without you ever knowing) irregardless of thermal direction and time of day by a mature buck approaching a funnel like this that presents danger. Take a look at the west creek crossing when the wind is out of an easterly direction. Go up to the top of the big hill on the north side and there's a great chance he'll show up there. He may approach by walking down the east edge of that cut (high side, coyotes and other predators will follow this down as well) down to the river bottom while taking in every scent washing through that valley- top to bottom. If he hasn't picked you up yet, your ground scent trail or your airborne scent, his approach by possibly crossing the creek from downwind will make it really difficult to get away with. Same thing with the East side creek crossing when the wind is from a westerly direction, buck showing up high and traveling the high edge of that draw to the creek bottom before crossing and turning west. I'm assuming cruising bucks here going to check those does to the south near your funnel. Valleys are great for swirling winds and bucks picking up predator scent from all over the place.

This was not meant to dissuade your plans at all, I haven't been there and your approach may be the ticket- just some possibilities for consideration.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:13 pm

SB, I appreciate your input. Actually the west creek crossing was the most used of all three creek crossings. I looked over to the other side of the creek and saw where two different trails led down the wet sand bank and entered the water. I actually walked that big hill by the west crossing and it had a 30-40 yard long shelf that ran about 1/3rd of the way down it. I told myself, "dang this spot looks like a big old buck could use it". Thank you so much for your input. Sounds like I could possibly back off the crossings to a spot that could my presence less felt by all the deer.

Another thing. We do not have a lot of coyotes here in Virginia yet the population is growing. I saw some coyote tracks down by the west creek crossing.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:44 pm

It definitely sounds like you've done your homework. I'm hitting the woods again tomorrow. 8-)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:21 pm

virginiashadow, you have really been doing your homework and have made a huge improvement in your knowledge base on mature bucks, topography, etc. I would be shocked if you don't knock down a mature buck this year. Just make sure to keep it up because I'm looking forward to seeing you holding a real slob this fall :!: !!!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Deerslayer, I appreciate the kind words. I have only ever arrowed one 3.5 year old buck, all the rest have been 2.5 year olds. I have seen and been close to killing several nice bucks over the past few years, but I just haven't closed the distance consistently. I have realized it takes a lot of hard work, walking, thinking, talking, gameplanning......and I love it. I am very excited about the incoming hunting season.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:46 pm

By the way when I said "mature" I meant I expect you to get at least a 4.5+ buck this year.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”