How's your whitetail hunting shaping up?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

How's your whitetail hunting shaping up?

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:54 am

We've been Incredibly dry here the last month and a half. The ground Is harder then a rock and tough to see tracks. I've done a couple walk arounds In the woods I hunt scouting and putting out Mock Scrapes with camera's on them. So far I'm pretty disappointed with what I've found with sign and my mock scrapes pertaining to older bucks. Hopefully my mock scrape troubles are more do to the fact that I don't have them In the right spots yet trying to catch a buck coming and going from his bed or being that there's lots of corn In yet and the older bucks are In there. I've moved some of my mocks to different spots In hopes of catching a picture/video of a buck I don't know exists. So far I've gotten pictures of one 4.5 year old. I could've shot this buck last year but chose not to as he wasn't what I wanted. The last 2 years I was hunting one specific buck. I never found a track or nothing of him until the corn started coming out. My camera's also came to life with pics of this buck. It was game on then so maybe/hoping that will be the case this year with a different buck when the pre rut approaches and the corn starts coming out.

I might have pictures of another 4.5 year old but can't quite make my mind up If he's the same buck from last year or not. He was a 7 point last year and If It's the same buck he's an 8 point this year which surprises the heck out of me. That's why I'm not sold just yet It's him. I also had ample opportunities with this buck last year but he too wasn't what I wanted.

One thing that I'm very Impressed with Is the number of 2.5 year olds I have pics of so far. I think I have 3 different bucks that are 2.5 year olds. 2 of these bucks should score In that 110 Inch range. The other one Is In that 95 Inch range. Never before have I saw this many 2.5's In my woods. Next year and the year after could be awesome If these guys can make It through our gun season. It might be one of these years where I'm already waiting on next year and hunting for next year. Time will tell though as there could easily be a good one around yet. The thing Is trail camera's and scouting don't tell you everything that's walking around In a woods.

Good luck all.

BigRed

Re: How's your whitetail hunting shaping up?

Unread postby BigRed » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:37 pm

I hear ya on the dry part, were down in SE Mn and having the same issue. Only been out a couple times, but have seen deer both sits. Had an old doe at 10 yds opener, her fawn saved her, she popped out of the grass in the nick of time, was ready to lay the hammer down. Saw a couple basket racks that night also, nothin much. Sat. night saw a couple good 2.5 yr olds sparring hard close to bedding out in the swamp. gonna go after them in a couple weeks when i can get out again. After that its hunting every weekend after the work and home duties get taken care of. Also saw a couple very impressive rubs with deep gouges on a point out in the swamp. So that has me pumped. I havent seen the 3.5/4.5 possible booner since last winter also. Hope hes still a round.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”