Early season bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Footballer

Early season bedding

Unread postby Footballer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:54 am

When there is still plenty of cover and the acorns are dropping, it seems like deer bed wherever they get tired. This can make hunting specific beds very difficult. What's the solution?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Early season bedding

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:46 am

I have a lot of trouble getting on nice deer early season, clearly they bed in different areas then those later in the fall when I can find them. For me I think it is just a matter of learning those early season habits and find the early season beds. I did stumble onto a mature buck going inot a new spot on opening weekend. This was a good bedding area for him regaurless of season but you can bet I made an extra note on my scouting logs that said this was an early season bedding location. I have one other area that I have seen bucks in early season that I also try and hit right away, it didn't produce this year but I won't give up.

One thing is for sure, those bucks are more focused on food so the best bedding clsoe to food is where I should be hunting them. I just don't have a lot of spots like this because all my scouting points me toward late fall and high pressure beds where the bucks escape other hunters.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”