Hunting Hills in Morning

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AB_Vinny

Hunting Hills in Morning

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:55 am

I'm sure this has been discussed on here somewhere but when I searched for it I couldn't find anything. Anyway if I am to hunt in the moring on a hill side, should I station myself on the leward side and low or high? I imagine low for the first part then high once sun comes up or does it take a long time for thermals to start rising after sunrise?

BigHunt

Re: Hunting Hills in Morning

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:28 am

i think your perty much on to it
.....it dosent take that long for the thermals to take place about an hour after the sun is up and rising
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting Hills in Morning

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi Vinney
Welcome to the BEAST!
I would set my stand for rut hunts on the Leeward side of the hill. I would want to be near the top of the hill where the thermal and natural occuring daytime winds meet. I would expect most action to be between 9AM and noon... Might be slightly different in Alberta?

Outside of the rut I would be perched high and in a spot where I can shoot the bucks bed when he arrives. This is because they come in from odd directions often in the morning and because you can get away with it in the morning.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”