Above Normal Temps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you hunt on well above normal temperatures?

Yes
63%
No
26%
Only if I am on a specific animal.
11%

Total votes: 38
Indianahunter
500 Club

Above Normal Temps

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:34 am

They are forecasting temps at or above 80 degrees here for the next 15 days. Unless conditions are right for me to hunt a specific animal that I am after I prefer to stay out of the woods when conditions aren't favorable. I want to hunt all the time but to me it isn't worth muddying up an area and potentially doing more harm then good. So what say you?

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dreaming bucks

Re: Above Normal Temps

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:38 am

I agree, I'm staying out..... might have to go fill my two water holes though !

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:42 am

Plan on sitting waterholes.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:03 am

I was suppose to leave for IL tonight... canceled trip. I am gonna take a stab tonight though with the South wind... going right in tight to bedding :violence-bowandarrow:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:12 am

Yes I do. Last year I got my 1st sighting of a buck I was after In very warm temps. Not quite 80 degree's but It was In the mid 70's. He came out 2 hours before dark. Anything Is possible.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:43 am

I take my climber to a water hole location on parts of the property I usually don't hunt. Allows me to be out in the woods and scout different locations for potential future stand locations. Although it is more of a blind hunt... it still allows for chance. However, I will be using my range finder on the golf course instead of my tree stand this Saturday because of the high temperatures.
go DEEP or go HOME
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:59 am

lynchpin wrote:I take my climber to a water hole location on parts of the property I usually don't hunt. Allows me to be out in the woods and scout different locations for potential future stand locations. Although it is more of a blind hunt... it still allows for chance. However, I will be using my range finder on the golf course instead of my tree stand this Saturday because of the high temperatures.

:lol: :lol: Have fun on your golf outing......I have played put-put.....does that count?
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:04 am

Dont like warm temps obvioiusly,but we killed a monster on our lease with mid 80 temps a couple years ago. When hunting at home i guess i avoid it,but when you travel 6-7 hours, your gonna hunt regardless! :D
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:11 am

U.P. MAN wrote:Dont like warm temps obvioiusly,but we killed a monster on our lease with mid 80 temps a couple years ago. When hunting at home i guess i avoid it,but when you travel 6-7 hours, your gonna hunt regardless! :D

Yeah that is a good point, I understand that completely.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:11 am

U.P. MAN wrote:Dont like warm temps obvioiusly,but we killed a monster on our lease with mid 80 temps a couple years ago. When hunting at home i guess i avoid it,but when you travel 6-7 hours, your gonna hunt regardless! :D

Yeah that is a good point, I understand that completely.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13 am

It was 80 or 85 out when I shot the 14 point on the water hole... I can recall a few others I shot on hot days too. Some of my better bucks...
Sure, they might move later, but if your within 100 yards of his bed he will still move in daylight most of the time. Take advantage of your disadvantages and think about what the bucks will be doing... Now might be the time to hunt that water hole you were saving for the right day...

Every day has advantages, and disadvatages... A good hunter will recognize that and adjust his stragie accordingly...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:49 am

I generally hunt no matter what the weather is like and like to use it to my advantage in some way if possible. The only exception is really heavy rain due to tracking issues if I happen to shoot one. On public land I actually look forward to the bad weather days because it keeps everyone else at home and the deer seem to figure this out.

Shot a few deer in warm or even downright hot weather that most people would not have even thought about hunting in. You just have to make sure you have a plan to take care of your deer immediately before the meat spoils. I make sure to carry a large cooler if I am far enough from home so I can quarter and chill if needed.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:55 am

That's the main reason I don't hunt September. Our bow season starts the first Saturday in Spetember and I rarely hunt until early October.... unless the weather is cool. Hunting in 85-90 degree heat just doesn't do it for me. But, when it hits late October / November, I'll hunt regardless of the temps.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 am

Dewey wrote:I generally hunt no matter what the weather is like and like to use it to my advantage in some way if possible. The only exception is really heavy rain due to tracking issues if I happen to shoot one. On public land I actually look forward to the bad weather days because it keeps everyone else at home and the deer seem to figure this out.

Shot a few deer in warm or even downright hot weather that most people would not have even thought about hunting in. You just have to make sure you have a plan to take care of your deer immediately before the meat spoils. I make sure to carry a large cooler if I am far enough from home so I can quarter and chill if needed.

I agree about taking advantage of the situation. I guess really it depends on the property. I am pushing hard to ease the pressure that we are putting on the home turf...so have been promoting patience and waiting for better opportunities. Now if the wind and moon and everything else were right for the Big Ten or the Big 8 I want then I would set up on it.
I also understand the guys who only have this day or that to hunt. Over all for me anyway patience is the key to deciding when to hunt.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:27 am

Really I hunt any chance I can get, I don't have as much time as I use to any time in the woods is better than nothing, high temps or not.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”