Above Normal Temps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you hunt on well above normal temperatures?

Yes
63%
No
26%
Only if I am on a specific animal.
11%

Total votes: 38
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Re: Above Normal Temps

Unread postby rudy78 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:37 am

I put yes, simply because my schedule is not flexible enough to move my vacation days all around last minute to adjust to the weather forecast, i wish it was.
I would much rather hunt in cooler temps, especially during the rut. I read an article at the end of the year last year that provided some data from bucks with collars In & out of pens and the number 1 factor that reduced daytime movement was warm temps(they defined that as over 65), this was even ahead of hunting pressure. That doesn't mean they won't move during the daylight during the rut, just not nearly as much as they do if it is cooler out. So you just have to change and adapt your strategies then and instead of trying to intercept them at pinch points and stuff you have to hunt near bedding areas (buck & doe) & hope that one comes into that bed that day since they are a lot less predictable then in late October before all the does start to 'come in'.

When local hunting temps play a lot into where/when I hunt a lot like moon and wind directions.

You can't wait for the perfect conditions to hunt or you will only get a few days a year, you just have to adapt to what mother nature gives you. Sometimes it makes it harder for us other times puts the odds more in our favor!!! :dance:

Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:59 am

I have a lot of free time lately so chose no. I have a small stack of tree work and landscape projects to do that are putting some money in my pocket as well as a bunch of projects around at home basically repairing broken gear or modifying it for the next hunt. On the hot days I will tackle projects from one or both lists. I love hunting but if I am going to be out in the heat sweating I like to be getting paid. 8-)

If I travel out of town and am spending a weekend or a few days at a property I am hunting no matter the conditions.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
fredhill

Unread postby fredhill » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:39 pm

my job is very flexible so i voted 'no'. i can hunt almost as much as i want so when it's hot and the moon is full i'd rather go to work.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 pm

I've been skunked on so many hot sits it almost isn't worth the drive. Conversely on those crisp, colder than normal temps I see tons of activity. Only deer I've shot on above normal temps was during the rut. Mid 50s in the first week of November shot at 1pm.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Southern Man wrote:That's the main reason I don't hunt September. Our bow season starts the first Saturday in Spetember and I rarely hunt until early October.... unless the weather is cool. Hunting in 85-90 degree heat just doesn't do it for me. But, when it hits late October / November, I'll hunt regardless of the temps.

Some of my biggest bucks and best encounters have been in September... I think your really missing out.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Being hot does suck and maybe Im just used to working in it but Ive had some good hunts on mid 90 degree days over the right water hole. Truthfully I look forward to having a shooter buck in an area Ive glassed on a 90's afternoon at one watering well than a 30's morning hut on Nov 1st. If it's 90 and dry I feel my chances at encountering that specific buck are greater at that watering hole.
bowslinger

Unread postby bowslinger » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:59 am

water is the key in hot weather they need to drink i try to find a water hole hidden out of the way with alot of shade around it
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:38 am

I love the early season. I'm always out there ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”