Late Bucks from Beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AC Rider
500 Club

Late Bucks from Beds

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:56 am

Last night I pushed way back (I walked for 1 hour by gaited road) and set up right on the edge of a 100 yard by 100 yard willow bottom next to a river. These deer are bedding in the thick oxbow in the river and going up into the oaks in the evenings to feed. As I was packing up after dark I heard a deer finally coming through the high grass and willows toward me. It was so dark I couldn't see what it was - only that it was alone. It's frustrating that you can go so far back, with no evidence of man, and still have deer move after dark. Anybody else consistantly have this problem?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Late Bucks from Beds

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:08 pm

This does happen to me a fair amount, I can hear a deer moving but never see them during shooting hours, or I can see them but can't shoot or ID them because of the darkenss. Sometimes I think my set is off a little and I need to fine tune my scouting, other times I just shake my head and hope it turns out better next time. The closer to the rut we get, the less problems I seem to have that is for sure.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Bummer AC, maybe that deer wasn't bedded there, but was further back across the river? Could also just be a wise old bugger, or maybe he heard ya and held tight till dark? Hard saying really.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Ya, all might be true. I know it happens A LOT but sometimes it still boggles my mind as to why they wait to move until so late. I don't think it came from across the river as it's a pretty wide, deep river, and I don't think it heard me as it was pretty windy when I set up. But, maybe - I'll never know. What I do know is it's not the last time it will happen ;)
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:51 pm

I still hold with my earlier assessment on the phone. It was 80 yesterday, and he went east first for a drink and then on his way up to eat some acorns. Hunt that spot again and put him to bed for a dirt nap!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”