Oklahoma opener public land buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

LiL Huntress

Re: Oklahoma opener public land buck

Unread postby LiL Huntress » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:22 pm

congrats nice deer 8-)

huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:38 pm

My parents property (pasture land) butts up to the Corps land I was hunting. At noon, when I got down from stand, I went up to their place for lunch and a quick nap. I only hunted those long hours this early in the season due to the special circumstances of the deer I saw and where I knew they were.

I think the angle of the pictures make him look a little bigger. Also, these okie deer don't have big bodies. I'd estimate this one at ~150 lbs. I'll re-score him for grins though because people have said the same on other forums. It is just a number though ;) 16" outside spread, 12" g2s and 2.5" tip to tip main beam with 2" g1s. Kinda gives ya something to go off of.

Oklahoma has some good deer around, but they typically don't get as large as some of the Midwestern states. The big boys are few and far between in this part of the state (northeastern). The western side of the state has some real bruiser, the terrain is identical to the Texas panhandle, which too is known for biggins. Like anywhere, if given some age, they can get pretty impressive. The state record buck and runner up were both taken in the SE part of the state the same year (2008 or 2009 I believe). I think they were in the low to mid 190s. That area is all hilly (we hillbillies call them mountains) and is primarily loblolly pine forests with hardwood draws. The deer there get big simply because they don't get seen as often and most people around here hunt field edges, which I've never understood. Put me in the timber. I may not see as many deer, but I'll have higher quality encounters.

I live in Tulsa now, which isn't too far from Coffeeville, KS. Lot of people come to this area from Coffeeville for jobs, college, etc.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:19 am

What a stud, nice buck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”