Ok guys help me out, How do I handle this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: Ok guys help me out, How do I handle this?

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:06 pm

dont like the video idea will probably make him more nervous

JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:52 am

Here's one thing I tel people who get buck fever. Set your bow down on the ground and run around your house and then immediately pic up your bow and shoot. What it simulates is the elevated heartbeat and that way they can learn to control their shot with the elevated heart rate. They think it's stupid at first but then start to realize what their doing and start to concentrate on their shot placement better.
Worth a shot. Good luck with pops.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:04 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:I'm wih Ken and jump in the tree with him, video is a great way to see 100% what he is doing and alos play it back for him.

I also thought that was a great recommendation. Also like the gifting a xbow idea.

I wish you luck on the situation

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:13 am

JRM6868 wrote:Here's one thing I tel people who get buck fever. Set your bow down on the ground and run around your house and then immediately pic up your bow and shoot. What it simulates is the elevated heartbeat and that way they can learn to control their shot with the elevated heart rate. They think it's stupid at first but then start to realize what their doing and start to concentrate on their shot placement better.

Awesome suggestion HOWEVER based on the well written posts by IH and the fact that he seems to be a landowner, I'd guess his father to be a little too old to be made to run around the house...he may have a heart attack, I think I'd rather have him wounding deer if he was my old man :lol: :lol: :lol:

I get buck fever though and think I may try this thanks for the tip JRM!

In response to the initial post I wish I could help you but I don't know the answer. I am almost in the same boat as your father. I've never wounded 5 in a season and when any wounding does happen I put in hours on trails even with no blood in search of the deer. I think I only winged one deer and didn't follow the track as I got about 2inches penetration and she ran off fine and crossed property borders. Anyways, from your fathers standpoint I think I understand what he's going through. I practice all the time with my bow practice from different positions practice in different conditions with different clothes on. I am confident enough I could shoot a good group with my eyes closed if you told me how far the target was. However, when that target comes alive and is the real deal I lose all of it. I tried one persons suggestion elsewhere on the forum be around deer without shooting. I have done that my last few sits I have just sat and watched deer around me it helps I am ready for the next one. I don't know how to fix your problem unfortunately but I do understand where he is coming from. Its a mental thing, so much excitement/adrenaline is rushing to your brain everything shuts off. Its weird. Maybe it comes from not enough experience I am not sure. I also recognize it is your father but words need to be shared about this. Or maybe yet help him track and make it a point that you exhaust all efforts to recover a deer and its wasteful and inconsiderate as a hunter to let an animal suffer without doing everything to recover/finish/find the animal. My own family does a lot of this on bad shots they track it til it leaves the property line and say "ah forget it"...I hate that! Sorry for sidetracking but be a little understanding of your old man as its a hard "fever" to recover from. :cry:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 am

Putting myself in your shoes. If he's been hunting all along and was proficient before and this just started happening the last few years, maybe because he's gotten older. If that's what it probably is, I would be inclined to shut the F up and let the man hunt. But that's just me.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Buckfever wrote:Putting myself in your shoes. If he's been hunting all along and was proficient before and this just started happening the last few years, maybe because he's gotten older. If that's what it probably is, I would be inclined to shut the F up and let the man hunt. But that's just me.

ummmm....wow....thanks for the input, I think :?

It is a double edged sword. Of course it bothers me with the increase of wounded deer and how it affects our herd, but more importantly Dad is beating himself up pretty bad. I want him to hunt as long as he can hunt, he's my best friend and lifetime hunting buddy. I don't want this post to sound like I don't want him to hunt. However there has to be a point in which you make a solid ethical decision after wounding X amount of deer that you might need to hang up the bow and consider a cross bow or sticking to gun hunting. I don't know what the answer is and haven't even hinted that to him. Been trying to take an approach of "How do we fix it?"
The problem is as Backwoods hunter pointed out and Dad admitted today he is just getting too worked up and not being patient for the shot. His words were " I don't know why I get so excited like I haven't been deer hunting the last thirty some years?" I see a deer and instead of being patience and waiting for a shot, I grab my bow and take a shot like I am never going to see a deer again."
I did take the suggestion of recommending practicing by letting deer walk by. This is not an attempt to brag but I just don't have this problem so it is hard for me to relate to and even harder for me to help. It is an emotional and mental block for him.
Dad is 57 so he is not THAT old. He has however had a heart attack and kidney cancer in which he lost that kidney, and broke his back in the Army in the 70's. I am going to support him and help him in every way I can, but I can't sit back and let him continue to do the same things in which ultimately lead him to feeling very poorly about himself.
Just looking for suggestions to help him, and to help me approach the situation. I am not an angry or in your face kinda guy and would never dis-respect my father and hurt him over a deer. Thanks again for the input.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:07 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:
JRM6868 wrote:Here's one thing I tel people who get buck fever. Set your bow down on the ground and run around your house and then immediately pic up your bow and shoot. What it simulates is the elevated heartbeat and that way they can learn to control their shot with the elevated heart rate. They think it's stupid at first but then start to realize what their doing and start to concentrate on their shot placement better.

Awesome suggestion HOWEVER based on the well written posts by IH and the fact that he seems to be a landowner, I'd guess his father to be a little too old to be made to run around the house...he may have a heart attack, I think I'd rather have him wounding deer if he was my old man :lol: :lol: :lol:

In response to the initial post I wish I could help you but I don't know the answer. I am almost in the same boat as your father. I've never wounded 5 in a season and when any wounding does happen I put in hours on trails even with no blood in search of the deer. I think I only winged one deer and didn't follow the track as I got about 2inches penetration and she ran off fine and crossed property borders. Anyways, from your fathers standpoint I think I understand what he's going through. I practice all the time with my bow practice from different positions practice in different conditions with different clothes on. I am confident enough I could shoot a good group with my eyes closed if you told me how far the target was. However, when that target comes alive and is the real deal I lose all of it. I tried one persons suggestion elsewhere on the forum be around deer without shooting. I have done that my last few sits I have just sat and watched deer around me it helps I am ready for the next one. I don't know how to fix your problem unfortunately but I do understand where he is coming from. Its a mental thing, so much excitement/adrenaline is rushing to your brain everything shuts off. Its weird. Maybe it comes from not enough experience I am not sure. I also recognize it is your father but words need to be shared about this. Or maybe yet help him track and make it a point that you exhaust all efforts to recover a deer and its wasteful and inconsiderate as a hunter to let an animal suffer without doing everything to recover/finish/find the animal. My own family does a lot of this on bad shots they track it til it leaves the property line and say "ah forget it"...I hate that! Sorry for sidetracking but be a little understanding of your old man as its a hard "fever" to recover from. :cry:

Backwoods: As always thanks for the postive and considerate input. Just so you know (though not important) I am not a landowner. The property was owned by my great grandfather and was to be split between his 5 children equally. Through some very shady dealings my grandmother's sister (my great aunt) took the property by power of attorney when my great grandmother was on her death bed. Sad story but true. However I think to ease her conscience she lets family only hunt the property and fortunately for me, I am the only serious hunter. So basically, my father and I have the property to ourselves until gun season and then the rest of the yahoo's come crawling out of the woodwork. It is an absolutely beautiful piece of property and wish I could share it with all my Beast friends. Water falls, 30' + limestone rock walls along the creeks, mature hardwoods, oak trees as big around as my Xterra. Dozens of natural gas wells, 4 farm houses not counting her place. 3 ponds and tremendous deer genetics and potential. Hundreds of acres of agriculture in rich soil. Just a great place. My great aunt will not sell a square foot to anyone, but has already split it up in her will to her children. I am fearful of what they will do with it and her eldest son I fear will develop the land as it has been mentioned in the past.
A bit off topic, but I just didn't want any of my Beast brothers here thinking I am holding out on an invite. If I owned it you could rest assured....Invites would go out.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:53 pm

One other thought... Does he wear glasses? If not maybe he needs them if he does when was the last time he had an exam? I wear them and contacts and when my prescription is old things look a little fuzzy, which could lead to poor shot placement.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Indianahunter wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:

Backwoods: As always thanks for the postive and considerate input. Just so you know (though not important) I am not a landowner. The property was owned by my great grandfather and was to be split between his 5 children equally. Through some very shady dealings my grandmother's sister (my great aunt) took the property by power of attorney when my great grandmother was on her death bed. Sad story but true. However I think to ease her conscience she lets family only hunt the property and fortunately for me, I am the only serious hunter. So basically, my father and I have the property to ourselves until gun season and then the rest of the yahoo's come crawling out of the woodwork. It is an absolutely beautiful piece of property and wish I could share it with all my Beast friends. Water falls, 30' + limestone rock walls along the creeks, mature hardwoods, oak trees as big around as my Xterra. Dozens of natural gas wells, 4 farm houses not counting her place. 3 ponds and tremendous deer genetics and potential. Hundreds of acres of agriculture in rich soil. Just a great place. My great aunt will not sell a square foot to anyone, but has already split it up in her will to her children. I am fearful of what they will do with it and her eldest son I fear will develop the land as it has been mentioned in the past.
A bit off topic, but I just didn't want any of my Beast brothers here thinking I am holding out on an invite. If I owned it you could rest assured....Invites would go out.

Never would expect an invite from you man just putting it in perspective that your dad is probably too old to be running laps around the house and shooting his bow 8-) Would be cool to see some pics of this land though. Maybe start a journal and slip them in there?
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:50 pm

Indianahunter wrote:
Buckfever wrote:Putting myself in your shoes. If he's been hunting all along and was proficient before and this just started happening the last few years, maybe because he's gotten older. If that's what it probably is, I would be inclined to shut the F up and let the man hunt. But that's just me.

ummmm....wow....thanks for the input, I think :?

It is a double edged sword. Of course it bothers me with the increase of wounded deer and how it affects our herd, but more importantly Dad is beating himself up pretty bad. I want him to hunt as long as he can hunt, he's my best friend and lifetime hunting buddy. I don't want this post to sound like I don't want him to hunt. However there has to be a point in which you make a solid ethical decision after wounding X amount of deer that you might need to hang up the bow and consider a cross bow or sticking to gun hunting. I don't know what the answer is and haven't even hinted that to him. Been trying to take an approach of "How do we fix it?"
The problem is as Backwoods hunter pointed out and Dad admitted today he is just getting too worked up and not being patient for the shot. His words were " I don't know why I get so excited like I haven't been deer hunting the last thirty some years?" [glow=red]I see a deer and instead of being patience and waiting for a shot, I grab my bow and take a shot like I am never going to see a deer again."[/glow]
I did take the suggestion of recommending practicing by letting deer walk by. This is not an attempt to brag but I just don't have this problem so it is hard for me to relate to and even harder for me to help. It is an emotional and mental block for him.
Dad is 57 so he is not THAT old. He has however had a heart attack and kidney cancer in which he lost that kidney, and broke his back in the Army in the 70's. I am going to support him and help him in every way I can, but I can't sit back and let him continue to do the same things in which ultimately lead him to feeling very poorly about himself.
Just looking for suggestions to help him, and to help me approach the situation. I am not an angry or in your face kinda guy and would never dis-respect my father and hurt him over a deer. Thanks again for the input.

That is exactly it, everything goes out the window and I convince myself mentally if I don't quickly release the arrow the deer will get away. I think maybe limiting his range. Or convincing him to do it himself, would be a solid start. I know I got my new bow was feeling all confident out to 30 and 40 yards. I wounded that doe at 20. I like to set up close now and until I get a clean kill won't be shooting much past 15 or so yards. :|
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:22 am

JRM6868 wrote:One other thought... Does he wear glasses? If not maybe he needs them if he does when was the last time he had an exam? I wear them and contacts and when my prescription is old things look a little fuzzy, which could lead to poor shot placement.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I do know he needs to go to the eye doctor....the only problem is he shoots fine unless it is a live deer...LOL Thanks for your feedback buddy I really appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”