Buck is going to bed at 2:15AM

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Buck is going to bed at 2:15AM

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:53 pm

I put out a camera the other day on what I figured was the edge of the bedding area. The bucks in this area are coming through some woods and out into an old overgrown brushy field and bedding right on the edge in the tall grass. I had my camera set on a trail coming out of the woods. I set it up in the pouring rain so there was no scent. I also set the camera high so I would not scare the deer with the red glow. I had it out for three days. The buck came through the woods and just when he got into the feild he took a sharp left in fornt of the camera and bedded. Well when I checked the camera this morning you can guess what happend. he slipped out.

Here is the question. This buck beded at 2:15AM Im going to hunt this bed in the moring no matter what. Does anyone have a moon chart that can tell me when they are bedding tomorow moring. Did last nights weather make him bed so early?

dreaming bucks

Re: Buck is going to bed at 2:15AM

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:01 pm

Here is the days that Dan listed for morning and nights sits....... hope this helps. I believe sunday and monday night are going to be moon over head just before sunset, so should be good night sits. but that also puts a good morning time too, or underfoot...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8790
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:02 pm

Take a pillow, head to the stand around midnight. Tuck in and wait!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:16 pm

You have pics of him bedded? I'd like to see those 8-)

Good luck with him in the morning hopefully you can stick him right in his bed.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:08 am

How bout an update on what happened Predator. I like to learn from your encounters.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:09 am

adrenalin wrote:How bout an update on what happened Predator. I like to learn from your encounters.

X2
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:30 pm

It’s a long story but I have a little time here..
So that day I jumped him I found his fresh tracks on the walk out. I followed them in the mud until they cut into some pines that he had bedded in during the summer. I set up where I figured he would come out of the pines and hunted him that night. He never showed.
So I got all set up in the morning where I jumped him, but first let me explain how I relocated him after his summer pattern changed.
All summer I shinned him with two 1.5 year old bucks. Then two weeks before the season started the big guy and the two little ones were gone. I was careful and tried a few things to see if he was still there but there was no sign. After a little thinking I decided that if I can find the two small ones, I can find him. So I skipped hunting a few nights and did some spotting and shinning until I found them. They were way off the road but I was able to light them up near the road close to 10PM a few times. I was patient and woke up one morning to a downpour. I threw on some junk clothing and grabbed a trail camera and went walking in the storm. I came upon this bedding area and jumped a 135-140 class. There was a main trail going into this bedding area so I threw my camera up and got out. Then this past Friday I checked it and almost soiled my pants when I found his picture on it… My plan was working.
Now I will fast-forward to that next morning after I jumped him. I got all set up and was sitting in the dark. Part of my face was burning from stinging nettle. Anyways, less than ten minutes before light I heard something come into the bedding area. It was so hard to say but it sounded like raccoons but I could not tell. About 15 minutes later I heard something that was a little louder than the “raccoon” and looked to see the two 1.5 year olds standing in front of me. They went straight through the bedding area and bedded in a place I did not expect. They took the same path that the “raccoon” did.
So this area I am hunting is a swampy woods in the shape of an L. The inside of the L was where the tall grass was that I jumped the two bigger bucks. In the morning, these bucks came from the long part of the L and cut across the grass to the bottom part of the L. I began to wonder if he was in this bottom part of the L which Is about the only place I have not scouted near yet. So tonight I set up inside the woods on the corner of the L. The two 1.5s came out of the bottom of the L as expected making all kind of noise. When I set up, I stayed along the edge of the woods where I figured the big boy would walk. I figured he would walk here because then he could smell the whole woods before he cut into it. Light was getting too low to make out shapes and I could hear something coming. It was by no means as loud as the other two bucks. The two small bucks went in front of me as expected but whatever this was, was going through some thick junk behind me. Again, It could have been a raccoon. I never heard any huge sticks break just smaller twigs. I get the feeling that this raccoon I heard both times was him and that he is just sneaky and tries to be quiet.
So the plan now is to see if he takes the inside of the woods in the morning rather than cutting across the field. If he does, he is good as dead.. so we shall see ;)
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Good luck predator. Take him down!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Hopefully you can take him out....seems like you got a good bead on him already
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:18 pm

GOOD luck!!! I hope you nail him!!
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:56 pm

Good luck Predator ! Great story so far, now it's time to end it.... ;)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:46 am

Keep us posted, good luck! Sounds like your getting close.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:55 am

hoping for some kill pics tonight! Lets go predator!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:24 pm

Nothing, but im still keeping my head up! 8-)
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Keep at it, buddy.

Wish you good luck. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”