Hunting on ground in the CORN

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Hunting on ground in the CORN

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:53 am

With lots of corn in my neck of the woods this year, Im going to do some stalking in the corn and hunting on the ground in the corn. Perhaps hunting some swales.

Anyone else prefer this tactic or ever used it and had success. I did once but didnt finish on him :oops: ONE LUNG

dreaming bucks

Re: Hunting on ground in the CORN

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:00 am

I've often thought about trying this method, but never did do it...... I would think if you do see one, they will be bedded down, do you shoot them bedded down, or try to get them to stand up ?
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:08 am

Definetly on my "to do" list
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:38 am

I've done this with my gun, never tried with bow. It is challenging really gotta stay focused. I've shot 2 deer this way a buck and a doe. Bothat less than 10 yards. Hit the corn on a windy day ,when your hunting alone or just sick of sitting in a tree. I.ve seen deer freeley moving around in those swales you mentioned. I really love this tactic with some snow on the ground.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:36 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I've often thought about trying this method, but never did do it...... I would think if you do see one, they will be bedded down, do you shoot them bedded down, or try to get them to stand up ?

I see them bedded down especially if its windy. Best part is you could do this tactic any time of day.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:53 am

Swampthing wrote:I've done this with my gun, never tried with bow. It is challenging really gotta stay focused. I've shot 2 deer this way a buck and a doe. Bothat less than 10 yards. Hit the corn on a windy day ,when your hunting alone or just sick of sitting in a tree. I.ve seen deer freeley moving around in those swales you mentioned. I really love this tactic with some snow on the ground.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I have heard of people doing this, but I have never tried... I have access to a tone of corn. Any recommended tactics or advice you could give?

Information from other would be great too.
go DEEP or go HOME
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:13 am

I arrowed a two year old buck in the corn when I was in high school 16" wide 8pt...

Super windy is your best bet... slow way down towards openings = ditches/low spots
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:28 pm

I got to go for a long ride in a helilcopter a few weeks ago. Flying over the corn I saw a few bucks in the middle of corn fields.
on their feet in spots where there was a little clearing that was not planted. Too hard to see the ones that would of been laying down.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:36 am

been hunting the corn this year from the ground. there isent any trees for a stand so ive been sitting up in a little brush line between the corn and a 7 acre mowed down crp. there is a grassy patch in the corn field that didnt get planted due to standing water and the deer are using it heavy. 6 sits and have seen deer every night. i have been passing on does for a crack at the big boy, i dont want to do any unnesasary tracking and push him out of the area. did alittle stalking in the corn one day and came face to face with a doe at 10 yards. i have been fighting the urge to sneek up on the grassy patch inside the corn but i think there will be too many eyes and ears in it to have a chance.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Its pretty much standard tactic where I live, since there is way more corn than woods. You can really narrow down where to focus your efforts by identifying a few things. Deer bedded in corn will nearly always be bedded where there is a break. Normally, this means areas of grass, ditches, swales, whatever. I never find them bedding randomly in the rows, unless there is some other sort of feature. Hunt corn, only when it is really windy. Windy and wet is even better. Good luck! It can be alot of fun!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Bump
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:51 pm

I have actually done quite a bit of this. The corn rows are pretty darn tight this day and age. Back in the day the rows were 36-24 inch wide. Now days they are much tighter 16 inch and less in some fields. That said I never did kill a buck doing this. One of the few tactics I was never successful in.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:18 am

Stanley wrote:I have actually done quite a bit of this. The corn rows are pretty darn tight this day and age. Back in the day the rows were 36-24 inch wide. Now days they are much tighter 16 inch and less in some fields. That said I never did kill a buck doing this. One of the few tactics I was never successful in.

You must be pretty small to be fitting in that :D

I'm going to take a hard pass on that. I'll just hunt the edge instead if I ever decide to hunt corn fields
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:51 am

Hunting the corn is a great time! I've killed plenty with the gun in the corn. Never with the bow tho. They feel very comfortable in these fields. Stanley is right- the new equipment has really narrowed the rows making it harder to hunt. I'd have to think that a buck with any kind of width to his antlers would have a hard time walking down these narrow corn rows.
When i hunt corn I slowly walk across the rows while looking up and down them. I'm looking for large dark brown rocks sitting in the rows. When I see these "rocks", I'll do my best to estimate how far away the deer is, then walk a few rows over if I need to get closer- don't forget to count the rows that you walk from the row that the deer is in. I'll try to get closer to the deer, then count my rows back to the deer and try to get a shot. Careful cuz a lot of times doe groups bed together so you'll have multiple eyes and noses on you. I've also seen bucks hide a hot doe in the corn. It's a lot of fun and often times productive.
That turned into a long post. Sorry
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:48 am

An oldie, kinda long. But good stuff. Toad Smith

https://youtu.be/g1iTtqgnOeQ

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”