Lone Wolf climbing stands?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jay

Lone Wolf climbing stands?

Unread postby Jay » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:36 pm

What do you guys think about the Lone Wolf climbing stand?

muddy

Re: Lone Wolf climbing stands?

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Pretty nice if you have a straight tree with no limbs....

My opinion is get the LW sticks and a LW Assault stand.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:43 pm

I have an older steel summit hand climber, an old man climber and the LW sit n climb. Hands down the LW is a better stand in my opinion. Rock solid, no squeaks, light weight, and while not super comfy, is better then the others and I have done all day sits in it. I have found myself limited on tree's with it(diameter), but overall its a great stand. If Im bow hunting, I go with the sticks and alpha. If I am gun hunting in the nose bleed section(30+ft) I grab the climber.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:31 pm

Love my sit n climb :D Like muddy said you need a tree straight and no limbs!!

I would suggest the Assult or the Alpha hangon.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:22 am

If your comparing them to other brands I would definitely go lone wolf. they are light, quiet, and pack down really flat. i have owned a hand climber for about 8 years and I have replaced the seat with the gorilla seat pad, and bought the longer belts for big trees. other than that i wouldn't change a thing. I also prefer the sticks/hang on method so you have more trees to choose from but when it comes to climbers they are the way to go
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:31 am

I just bought one from the Beast. Hand climber. I haven't used it enough for a proper review but first impressions are good. I bought this one for a specific piece of property, public land, hill country, where I have to pack in a good bit over several ridges. The woods are mature oak and hickory and straight trees with no limbs are common. I wanted to reduce the weight I'm carrying, and have something small, easy, and quiet. The first day I got it, I climbed a telephone pole at the shop. I couldn'r believe how quick and easy it was to set up and quiet as I climbed.

The only negative is it's uncomfortable.
I have an old API Grand slam climber I've used for years. It is roomy and has a very comfortable seat for long sits. It also has a rail around the seat / upper part for added security that can be used to sit and climb as well. But...it's quite a bit heavier and doesn't fold flat which makes a big difference when packin it in. I knew there would be sacrifices to pay for the advantages I wanted. The L/W hand climber is a bit unnerving climbin without the rail and the small size but I think it's only because I'm used to the API. I feel that after a bit this one will be just fine. It's easy to use and exactly what I wanted. No complaints at all. Go for it.

It seems the tendency of folks on this site is the hang on with the sticks. I haven't tried them. Like I said, the property I'm hunting with the climber wouldn't be a good fit with the hang on. What ever you buy, look at what type of woods/terrain you'll be hunting and match your equipment to it. Not talking them down at all, I may be adding some of those to my tools before long. :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:12 am

What ever you buy, look at what type of woods/terrain you'll be hunting and match your equipment to it.

Solid advice. Next time your hunting, pay attention to the tree's your picking for your location. That was the only down fall I found with my climber. When I found where I wanted to hunt, I soon realized in "my area" I was doing more hunting for a climbable tree, then hunting the sign I was finding. Plus when I found a tree I could climb, I had to go real high, or stick out like a 200lb squirrel. The sticks are more versatile in that you can climb any tree, hence the reason so many on here like them. Buy em both. :D
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:15 am

I like the hand climber it works great, but I rarley use a climber because of it limeting the trees I use. There is some learning curve with the climbers though... I often have people bring them back cause they are not climbing correctly and blame the stand...
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:06 am

kenn1320 wrote:
What ever you buy, look at what type of woods/terrain you'll be hunting and match your equipment to it.

Solid advice. Next time your hunting, pay attention to the tree's your picking for your location. That was the only down fall I found with my climber. When I found where I wanted to hunt, I soon realized in "my area" I was doing more hunting for a climbable tree, then hunting the sign I was finding. Plus when I found a tree I could climb, I had to go real high, or stick out like a 200lb squirrel. The sticks are more versatile in that you can climb any tree, hence the reason so many on here like them. Buy em both. :D

The woods around here have been raped by loggers and farmers leaving few trees available for climbers. Sticks work great. This piece of public land though, hasn't been logged at all in 20 years, and before that it was only selectively cut since back in the 50's & 60's. The amount of straight mature trees is unbelievable. The hardest thing about finding a tree to climb is finding one under 19" in diameter :mrgreen: to fit the stand. At any rate it's a climber heaven. To give you an idea of the maturity, the acorn crop in a good year will average 400lbs / acre. That's a bunch.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:01 am

I love my Lone wolf hand climber. I use it a ton. I tend to hunt topography where there are large mature trees so it is easy to use. LIke any climber it won't fit in any tree but like stated before, pay attention to where you are hunting and what stand would work better. I used to have a sit n climb and replaced the top section with the hand section. Hand climber is much better in my opinion. I may be switching out my seat with a gorilla seat for more padding. Last thing that I will mention that I never hear anything talk about but I feel is a benefit is that I can get a better fit with the LW traction belt then I could with the Summit Viper I owned years ago. Traction belt has about 2 inches between adjustments while the Summit had probably 5 inches. When you set up the tighter you can get the stand set to the tree usually the better fit you will have at the top. Your bottom platform will not be sloping forward as you get to the top. Get a LW stand, you won't be disappointed!
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”