Where do deer bed in this scenario?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Where do deer bed in this scenario?

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:53 am

I know how to find where they bed in areas where there are ridgetops, with fields down in the valleys. But what about the opposite? What about when the tops of the ridges are fields, and the valleys are woods? I mean obviously they will bed in the ravines, since this is where the cover is at, but are they likely to bed up near the tops of the draws? The bottoms?
What conditions lend themselves to hunting these ravines? I know the wind can often swirl like crazy in them.
I'm mostly used to hunting farmland that is flat as a pancake.

BigHunt

Re: Where do deer bed in this scenario?

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:55 am

my best guess would be were ever the wind is good for them to bed ...they need to be able to scent the area good to bed there
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:19 am

In most hill county farm scenarios the hill sides have trees regardless of the top or bottom being cropped... Generally the bedding would be near the top of the hill on the side right where it starts to drop off...

What conditions lend themselves to hunting these ravines? I know the wind can often swirl like crazy in them.
I'm mostly used to hunting farmland that is flat as a pancake.

Every situation is different, but I have a lot of luck hunting at the same elevation to the bed around the corner or just out of sight. Beds will often be at points.. Hunting saddles and crossings in draws between bedding areas or bedding and food works well too..
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:24 am

good post dan good info....... 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”