Can someone help with topo map

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

binney59
500 Club

Can someone help with topo map

Unread postby binney59 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:43 am

Hi all, although never post much I am always impressed with the knowledge here I thought I would enlist some help on a large section of public that I would like to hunt. I hunted here years ago and although we saw lots of sign and even jumped some bucks while scouting, my version of "scouting" was walk until we saw a couple rubs close by each other, stack up some logs as a ground blind and call it good. Needless to say it didnt work so hot and I quickly got sick of the long walk with no deer sightings (landlocked by river so takes a hike to get to). Needless to say I have come a long way as a hunter but still suck at topos (even purchased Mapping Trophy Bucks to help). Can anyone look at this and suggest some spots to start? I might not have a lot of time to pre-scout and am planning on doing a lot of spot and stalk during rifle season. Also, this is big woods with almost no hunting pressure and no ag near by. Thanks! [/img]Image[/img]

BigHunt

Re: Can someone help with topo map

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:05 am

do yuo have an aireal to see
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:06 am

What kind of trees or plants are in the swampy areas? What kind of trees in the non-swamp areas? What stage of logging?
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:03 am

The land has not been logged in a very long time. Most of the areas that I covered were not very wet, but cedar swamps are the norm in the area. There are a lot of huge rocks that little grows on (bare spots in arial). Im sorry I can't provide better detail on the tree species but most is poplar if I had to guess (and some huge jack pines). Thanks again for the help!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:12 am

Tough one... But one spot that really stands out to me is on the topo map in the left hand corner along the south edge of the river where the map says "RIVER" and the hill directly S.West of the word River... Looks like a typical buck hideout due to the elevations.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:27 am

dan wrote:Tough one... But one spot that really stands out to me is on the topo map in the left hand corner along the south edge of the river where the map says "RIVER" and the hill directly S.West of the word River... Looks like a typical buck hideout due to the elevations.

I agree and wouldn't hesitate to jump the river onto the two other fingers under the 850 either - wind dependent. Maybe glass from that side?

I also like that creek to the right of Dans suggestion
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate your time and insight! I am going to have to get some boots on the ground, but that looks like a good starting point. Good luck this year!
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:10 pm

I can't relate to rifle, but with a bow I'd probably start at that topography driven pinch point. Escpecially during the rut.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”