Deer movement and the wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Deer movement and the wind

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Hey guys looking for some advice. Got the first opportunity to hunt some public near school tomorrow. I have a solid spot but its a trek with waders to get too. The wind will be right but I have a feeling it will be too strong to see deer movement. Average 20-30mph winds with 40mph gusts. I'll climb into the tree in those winds I suppose but not if I won't see a deer. I hate to walk all that way and do all that work AND WORST OF ALL BURN UP AN AWESOME SPOT to not see a deer because they are holding tight due to high winds.

An alternative would be to participate in the city bowhunt I am part of where I get paid to shoot does. These deer are pretty clueless and I don't think the wind will keep them from moving much. I will be out either way tomorrow its just a matter of where and what I will be shooting at. If the high winds keep big bucks in their beds I won't bother hitting the public land.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
muddy

Re: Deer movement and the wind

Unread postby muddy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:17 pm

High wind will mask your approach in the waders, but this early in the season I'd bet most deer will be hunkered down. If it were rut I'd say differently. You may end up buggering a fantastic spot, then again you might pound a swamp toad.

I'd go shoot city deer, they're fun to drag out over dew covered lawns.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:54 pm

I hate hunting In windy conditions and I don't think deer In general care to move much In It either.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Schultzy wrote:I hate hunting In windy conditions and I don't think deer In general care to move much In It either.

x2
but any time in the woods is better than no time.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:32 pm

I figure I'll give it a whirl tomorrow, and I don't mean getting blown out the tree
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:40 am

I'm no expert by any means, but I would think as soon as all these high winds stop, that would be the time when all the deer will get up on their feet. When is it suppose to die down, Friday ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:45 am

do not hunt in 30-40 mph winds.. you will regret it.

however, if you can go shoot some meat.. and get PAID... well, thats a no brainer! :)
You can't kill em on the couch
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:42 am

good points guys! 8-)

So riddle me this, can the wind ever blow TOO HARD for deer to get a good sense of smell on us. If I want to check out a few pieces of ground I can hunt in the city and I want to sort of still hunt through there with my bow checking for good spots is there a chance the wind will be so strong it would wipe out some of my scent by carrying it right out of there? I guess I am unfamiliar with what it is about us that leaves scent behind and how it can be done away with.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:16 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:good points guys! 8-)

So riddle me this, can the wind ever blow TOO HARD for deer to get a good sense of smell on us. If I want to check out a few pieces of ground I can hunt in the city and I want to sort of still hunt through there with my bow checking for good spots is there a chance the wind will be so strong it would wipe out some of my scent by carrying it right out of there? I guess I am unfamiliar with what it is about us that leaves scent behind and how it can be done away with.

They will still smell you...
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:28 am

Good question, but I think it depends on your location. Out in KS its always blowing and the deer are just used to it. Ive been in areas in Mi where you have a hard time walking across the field, but drop off into the woods and its not so bad. Get around a big pine stand and you wouldn't know the wind was blowing. If I was going to hunt a bedded buck and ruin the spot with scent left, Id wait for a better day.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:40 am

Will probably hunt city deer across the street from a big park. They love people :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”