does it bother you?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

does it bother you?

Unread postby muddy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:39 am

Does it bother you to see an animal die within sight?

I must admit even on a perfect Double lung hit I do not like watching the animal crappie flop while it dies, always makes me feel bad whether its a deer, turkey, or coyote. Its part of hunting and makes me breathe easier to see them go down but would prefer them go down Just out of sight.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: does it bother you?

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:43 am

I agree Muddy... I know some guys like it, but I don't. I would also say the older I get, the more I feel sorry for the animals...
I remember Andraes commet about CWD a few years ago when he said he did not feel he should have to kill a doe 1st... He said he did not like to eat venison, and had to much respect for deer to just "kill" them... He chose not to hunt and said let the managers manage the herd.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:47 am

x2 on the crappie flop/load belar death

If they run off 30 yards like nothing happened and get the wiggles before falling that does not bother me as much
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:59 am

I agree, I don't like to watch animals die.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:00 am

I agree with Dan and Muddy... I would rather if they died out of sight and was happy when the buck I shot last year (muzzle loader) passed in stride and fell hard to the snowy ground. When I was young in upper Michigan, I chased a buck through a swamp after shooting it... when I caught up to it, it was laying down exhausted (15 yards away) and just looked at me as if to say "WTF". I am not going to lie, that moment had an impact on me and makes me wait for a quality shot every time. Like all of us, I want that animal to die as quick and humanely as possible.
go DEEP or go HOME
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:08 am

Same here........I still feel a bit sad when I first see the animal dead. Mixed emotions sums it up (excitement and sadness).
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:20 am

I think I would rather see them run off and just find them dead later, or get the wobbles and fall over like Bucky described, but I cant say Im really bothered by it. I grew up on a farm where we would kill the runt pigs, put down old sick pets ourselves, etc, so I got pretty used to it, even at a young age. My dad also owned a butcher shop while I was growing up...

True story - I remember selling a pig to some migrant workers when I was about 10 years old, and they liked to make blood sausage or something I guess, so they wanted all the blood to stay inside the animal, so they held the pig down and stabbed it in the heart with a knife, then plugged the hole with their finger until the animal bled out and slowly closed its eyes - I think thats what numbed me the most...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:23 am

i dont like seeing animals die but hey thats the way of life when you hunt... it will happen nothing will stop it
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:26 am

I prefer to see themselves die within sight, means I made a clean ethical shot. I hit a nice buck in the shoulder last Thursday. Didn't get much penetration. I'm pretty sure he made it but Ive been sick to my stomach and depressed since it happened. I know its part of hunting but I just can't get over it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:45 am

i guess im the odd man out, it doesnt bother me at all to see em tip over within sight. i think im numb to death, im a nurse and at times am surrounded by death at my job and after seeing people die an animals death isnt as hard to watch.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:04 am

If they die fast and humanely I am o.k. but hate to see any animal suffer for a long time before they die. If anybody gets a thrill out of that they seriously need to see a shrink.

I never liked on hunting shows when a deer is hit by a bad shot and is flopping around and the hunters are celebrating before the deer is even dead. Too me the top priority is to make sure the deer is completely dead and suffering is minimal. Plenty of time for celebrating later.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:28 am

Watching a whitetail fall over don't bother me too much. Listening to a bear do a death moan gets me though at times. I get the old lump In the throat.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:29 am

Dewey wrote:If they die fast and humanely I am o.k. but hate to see any animal suffer for a long time before they die.

This is me too, I like a quick kill and don't really mind the flopping and don't care for a long drawn out death.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:33 am

i wouldnt say that i enjoy it but i dont mind it so much..ive slit a few throats (deer) and i always felt it was better to let them drain out in a couple seconds then sit there for an hour suffering while i wait in my tree so i dont have to watch,,now that i said that imth not trying to say there is anything wrong with that and if i get a vitals shot which most of the time i do i let them die naturally, if i make a bad shot i will slit the throat or in gun season i will shoot them in the head. it does not bother me but at the same time i dont enjoy it..its just part of hunting and part of life and i feel that if i make a bad shot, i owe it to the animal to put them out of their misery by either shooting them in the head or slitting their throat.
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:13 am

Dewey wrote:If they die fast and humanely I am o.k. but hate to see any animal suffer for a long time before they die. If anybody gets a thrill out of that they seriously need to see a shrink.

I never liked on hunting shows when a deer is hit by a bad shot and is flopping around and the hunters are celebrating before the deer is even dead. Too me the top priority is to make sure the deer is completely dead and suffering is minimal. Plenty of time for celebrating later.

x2
go DEEP or go HOME

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”