does it bother you?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: does it bother you?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:17 am

Schultzy wrote:
Lil Hodag wrote:Schultzy don't forget to invite a few of us other guys to your campfire too. 8-)
You got It! Is this the start of a "Hunting Beast" planned hunt some where? I'm game!! :dance:

If you guys want to hunt northern WI my door is always open. Can't promise huge bucks, but sure would be fun. We have a fire pit. 8-)

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:30 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
Schultzy wrote:
Lil Hodag wrote:Schultzy don't forget to invite a few of us other guys to your campfire too. 8-)
You got It! Is this the start of a "Hunting Beast" planned hunt some where? I'm game!! :dance:

If you guys want to hunt northern WI my door is always open. Can't promise huge bucks, but sure would be fun. We have a fire pit. 8-)
It's all about camaraderie to me. I'd be game. Have to keep this In mind. Good stuff!!
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:48 am

muddy wrote:
BigHunt wrote:men.... dont get mad at me but ....i think theres too many softys on this thread :? :snooty: if it bothers that much you why hunt.......

I dont' think I've seen one reply in this thread that would cause me to call anyone soft or weak. Every one of us has differing levels of respect for the animals we pursue based on our own life experiences. If I choose to be soft hearted and a little sad after I kill an animal then so be it, that's me and I won't change. That being said that moment of sadness doesn't last very long and soon enough my well runneth over and the celebration and happiness begins because there are pictures to take, back straps to grill, and celebratory beers to drink.

Well said.

Reading this entire thread has had a slideshoe of instances running through my mind. In the moment of truth, when an animal is laying their breathing heavy and afraid, despite the look in their eye as they watch you do it, you know at that moment what must be done and so you do it.. Instinctively and resolutely. I would agree with many posts that describe the numbness they've allowed over themselves when the killing moment comes, but I also know there are some moments I wouldn't want anyone else to witness as their not friendly to the mind. Theirs nothing warming about walking up on a wounded animal that needs dispatching, but on the other hand, as far as watching an animal on the death run tip over and flop, well, that doesn't seem to bother me so much. If it did entirely, I guess I wouldn't hunt. I've been exposed to it since I could walk I suppose, so it's in my blood to hunt and all that comes with it.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:56 am

Schultzy wrote:Schultzy don't forget to invite a few of us other guys to your campfire too. 8-)
You got It! Is this the start of a "Hunting Beast" planned hunt some where? I'm game!! :dance:[/quote]

If you guys want to hunt northern WI my door is always open. Can't promise huge bucks, but sure would be fun. We have a fire pit. 8-)[/quote]It's all about camaraderie to me. I'd be game. Have to keep this In mind. Good stuff!![/quote]

And we know that Schultzy has plenty of wood(no I didn't talk to your wife :lol: ) for your fire pit and plenty of room in that brand new truck to pick me up. LOL!!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:03 am

Stump wrote:And we know that Schultzy has plenty of wood(no I didn't talk to your wife :lol: ) for your fire pit and plenty of room in that brand new truck to pick me up. LOL!!

Swing by my place on the way...
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:10 am

Sam Ubl wrote:
muddy wrote:
BigHunt wrote:men.... dont get mad at me but ....i think theres too many softys on this thread :? :snooty: if it bothers that much you why hunt.......

I dont' think I've seen one reply in this thread that would cause me to call anyone soft or weak. Every one of us has differing levels of respect for the animals we pursue based on our own life experiences. If I choose to be soft hearted and a little sad after I kill an animal then so be it, that's me and I won't change. That being said that moment of sadness doesn't last very long and soon enough my well runneth over and the celebration and happiness begins because there are pictures to take, back straps to grill, and celebratory beers to drink.

Well said.

Reading this entire thread has had a slideshoe of instances running through my mind. In the moment of truth, when an animal is laying their breathing heavy and afraid, despite the look in their eye as they watch you do it, you know at that moment what must be done and so you do it.. Instinctively and resolutely. I would agree with many posts that describe the numbness they've allowed over themselves when the killing moment comes, but I also know there are some moments I wouldn't want anyone else to witness as their not friendly to the mind. Theirs nothing warming about walking up on a wounded animal that needs dispatching, but on the other hand, as far as watching an animal on the death run tip over and flop, well, that doesn't seem to bother me so much. If it did entirely, I guess I wouldn't hunt. I've been exposed to it since I could walk I suppose, so it's in my blood to hunt and all that comes with it.

Great post Sam. I agree I love to see them go down in sight. What bothers me is when "things dont go as planned" ads some kind of out of the norm horrible stuff happens.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:13 am

LMAO Stump! It's a 4 door boys, I'll pick you guys up on the way. 8-)

Stump,

I might be Invading your part of the state possibly If I can get some time off In the next couple weeks before stuff gets going here In my woods. Public land In SE Mn has been on my mind for quite some time now.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:22 am

Schultzy wrote:LMAO Stump! It's a 4 door boys, I'll pick you guys up on the way. 8-)

Stump,

I might be Invading your part of the state possibly If I can get some time off In the next couple weeks before stuff gets going here In my woods. Public land In SE Mn has been on my mind for quite some time now.

Let me know if you need any intel....might even sneak out with you if it works out.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:25 am

Dor wrote:
Schultzy wrote:LMAO Stump! It's a 4 door boys, I'll pick you guys up on the way. 8-)

Stump,

Let me know if you need any intel....might even sneak out with you if it works out.
How cool that would be! I'll let you know Dor If I do this. Thank you!
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:29 am

Dor wrote:

Stump,

I've been waiting for GPS cords for a couple years now. :lol:
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:36 am

Stump wrote:
Dor wrote:

Stump,

I've been waiting for GPS cords for a couple years now. :lol:

LOL...of course, your problem is usually follow through.... :mrgreen: Still havent heard of you throwing the stand on your back, climbing up the hill to the top third of the ridge and setting up. :naughty:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:37 am

Glad to hear that I am not the only one thinking like this. For me it's kind of goofy, it seems the larger the critter, the more dificult it is becoming killing them. I know that may sound odd but I have no qaulms about mice, or ducks. Yeah, I am turning into a big fricking softy. I do get so over the top disgusted and sick to my stomach when I hear tales of wounding or gut shot deer, i just want to puke. I have no issue killing anything, just do it fast. Torture of anything is such a anger point for me, I just can't tolerate it. i hate it. I feel horrible for the animal and pissed off at the hunter.

I remember my first kill of anything when I was first able to hunt alone. I could not believe how crappy it felt and the wave of emotion that I felt when it sank in that my actions are what killed that critter, and it was done on purpose! And it was just a squirrel... The next time it got easier and easier the time after that till it wasn't a issue. It's what you were supose to do, be a man, suck it up. I had seen other animals dead that other people had taken and it never once bothered me till I did it myself. I still remember that.

Another hunting venture that is burned in my head is whenI was about 14 we did the 2nd weekend drives with rag tag group of different hunting parties. One of the drivers shot a last year's fawn right up the bunghole. my Dad and I got over to them probably 15 mins after he shot it and they were all gathered around it, laughing and BS'n, while this poor fricking deer layed there, struggling, trying get away but couldn't do anything except kick it's legs and let out the most bone chilling bawl over, and over, and over again. I wanted to throw up. Infront of everyone I asked my dad if I could shoot it again. I am gritting my teeth in anger right now just typing this. I made the 8 grown men feel half as small as they should have and all the joking stopped and they weren't smiling anymore. One of the guys jammed a knife into it behind it's ear and that was the end of that. When we got back to the vehicles Dad layed into those guys bigger that all when he thought I was far enough away that I couldn't hear. Haven't hunted with them since.

Last one, It was a windless, super quiet, balls cold night in Northern Wisconsin when I shot the biggest doe I have ever taken. Smoked it, perfect shot, it ran back down into the swamp and I knew it couldn't have gone far. I don't remember how long it was, but it seemed like a long time when I started to hear it, plain as day, snorting blood out it's nose, gasping, breathing so loud and heavy, then faster, more gasping, gurgley, labored, then slower, till it just... went away. It didn't kick at all though, I would have heard it. Those that have spent nights up there know how quiet it gets, and how a bird can sound like a pickup truck. This sounded like it was in the stand right next to me. The sounds were so distinct they were discriptive. Listening to it die was harder to stomach than watching any deer drop and kick around a bit. Breath after breath i kept hoping I heard the last one till finally it happened.

But it's part of the course. I just do my job to make sure it gets done fast, and as best as I am capable of doing it and hope that shock and adrenaline does it's job and it passes with as little pain possible.

As far as the drinking thing... I do not have a drinking problem. As a matter of fact I am quite good at it. You should talk to my neighbor, he has a terrible drinking problem. He is such a lightweight. Like 4 beers and he's done. This is a problem. He needs practice.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:44 am

Dor wrote:LOL...of course, your problem is usually follow through.... :mrgreen: Still havent heard of you throwing the stand on your back, climbing up the hill to the top third of the ridge and setting up. :naughty:

3 boys, school, homework, work and sports take up a little of my time. Oh ya.....and my wife( :D ), but Oct 21-23rd ma boy.......I'll be down there. And then Nov 1st through the 7th.
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:46 am

Stump wrote:
Dor wrote:LOL...of course, your problem is usually follow through.... :mrgreen: Still havent heard of you throwing the stand on your back, climbing up the hill to the top third of the ridge and setting up. :naughty:

3 boys, school, homework, work and sports take up a little of my time. Oh ya.....and my wife( :D ), but Oct 21-23rd ma boy.......I'll be down there. And then Nov 1st through the 7th.

Well, look me up. I am off the 20th Oct to Nov 16th....do leave for KS till gun opener in MN.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:33 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:
BigHunt wrote:i am done ....all i have to say is man up people this is the beast not the beauty

obiously no one can handdle my posts so ill make the last .........possibly for good

theres nothing to defend here just the true ;)

easy now don't let us hurt your feelings and just disappear :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We have already seen this before it wouldn't be an original move!

I re-read my post I came off like sort of an azz was definitely NOT an attack on you bighunt I just personally am not there for the kill, its a minor part of the hunt to me, I am glad you are not there to be a cold killer too :D

And I rarely drink I just had to stir the pot a little bit...do you enjoy drinking? I forgot maybe we could grab a cold one sometime :obscene-drinkingbuddies:

thanks for the ofer man but no thanks and realy apperciate your post at least some one respects my opoin on the matter and i hope you understand what i ment by my posts........
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”