Answer a ?, please.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Re: Answer a ?, please.

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:31 am

Why not take a heavy log and bash them in the head instead of trying to slit throat?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:00 pm

I have a feeling that trying to crush the skull of a deer with a log or rock would be very hard to do them flopping around and probably on soft/uneven ground to boot. I have no idea what I would do if there were no more arrows to use. I have buchered livestock by throat slitting and its not enjoyable. I have spined two bucks. One I hit with a good followup shot within 30 seconds, the other got behind thick cover and I had to chase it down and instinctive snap shoot it like I would shoot a carp as it drug itself downhill. Not cool but that was better than trying to fling arrows through brush from the treestand, that would be pointless. I always carry at least 4 broad heads and never have had to use more than 2 - cross my fingers lol.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:36 pm

I slit one deer's throat years ago...

I was night fishing a river in early March when I began to hear bleating. It got louder. I followed the sound downriver and spotlighted where I thought it was coming from. There was a large a doe splayed out on shore ice looking right at me. Then I saw a fox lift it's head from between her hind legs with it's muzzle covered in blood.

It was NOT a safe place to get in or out of the boat. There was nothing solid to tie my mooring line to. The ice was wet and smooth and sloped toward the river. The river itself was high and fast. Killing a deer out of season would put my hunting and fishing privileges in jeopardy. I was the only one left on the river and nobody knew I was there.

There was nothing in it for me but risk.

Still.I thought killing her was the right thing to do. I still do.

The fox disappeared as I neared the ice. Once out of the boat I could see intestine protruding from her. There was blood all over the ice.

It was not easy. She struggled when I grabbed her jaw and lifted her head. I didn't straddle her - if she began slipping towards the river it could take me in. I stood to the shore side of her body,held her muzzle up and slit her throat.

The fox was back when I came back thru an hour or so later and put the spotlight on her carcass.... I like foxes and was glad I didn't deprive him of a good late winter meal. I just couldn't continue fishing with that pitiful bleating echoing up and down the river knowing what it was..
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Great job showing mercy seeds. Man, that must really hurt getting eaten alive. Animals sure can be cruel in nature. That's definitely a big difference between us and them.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 am

swamp-assassin wrote:
muddy wrote:I tried slitting a throat once back in high school and the doe kicked me so hard with a front hoof it broke my hand. I got to thinking on what if that had caught my temple? I use the weapon in hand to finish the job if ever in the situation again.

I do dumb enough things to end up a Darwin award winner or on the peta website as some asssjack who got killed by the animal he was trying to kill.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

The trick is to approach the deer by the front. approach by the front, grab by the ears and proceed to slit the throat. if you try and approach by any other method you will get hurt.

No not always. One of my uncles got a few broken ribs from a doe lunging forward like a ram.

Another uncle caught a stone the siZe of a softball that fractured his shin that a buck kicked up while flailing as he tried to go in to slit it's throat.

Just shoot them again unless that is absolutely not an option.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:24 pm

1st P & Y buck was spine shot, didn't get up and run, but he could move his front two legs well enough to get some distance. Got down to get a better angle and took first good shot, double lung shot on the second. Its an ugly scene and our goal is to end it as quickly as possible, but I think it will happen to just about every bowhunter who shots enough deer.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:24 am

get another arrow in ASAP
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon May 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Bump
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon May 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Daddy always said “don’t stop shootin’ till they quit movin”
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Mon May 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Zap wrote:
GRFox wrote:Just keep shooting until your out of arrows.Iif that dosnt work then climb down and do a sequence of quick rabbit punches to the liver and kidneys. If that dosnt work then start performing some serious karate moves on that deer until it expires. If that dosnt work then try to wrastle her into a choke holed and get her in the death grip, if you can get her in the death grip choke her out until she is unconcious, then quickly carry her to the vetrinarian where she could be humanely uthinize the ethical way.

This is just my opinion, and what i would do.

:shock: :shock:

:lol:
Dave.Bechtel

Unread postby Dave.Bechtel » Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 am

I would get another arrow in the deer ASAP. If you can't, I would climb down and shoot it as fast as possible in the lungs to ensure that it expires quickly
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 am

I’ve slit a couple throats on spine shot deer. The first one I slit her throat then walked back to get my dragging stuff. She was dead when I got back. The second was close to the road so there was no dragging stuff needed and I had my rifle.
Fyi if you’re thinking about splitting a throat on a deer. They don’t actually suffocate, they bleed out. The doe just kept breathing, although not well, out of the hole in her throat that I made. She was in pain and the sounds she was making were turning my stomach. It didn’t take long and I put a .308 in the back of her head.
So do the animal a favor and shoot it again. Get it over with ASAP
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:03 am

Zap wrote:You spine a deer and have no good angle to shoot it with an arrow from the stand.

It's flailing around twenty yards from your stand.

What do you do?

I would use my smart phone to ask everyone on the internet what to do.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:05 am

BTW, where is zap? did he get mad and leave or something?
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed May 16, 2018 5:18 am

Man you guys are hardcore. I don't know if I have the stones to slit a deers throat, boy does that sound awful. I've never had to experience a pine shot deer, but I would probably get down or to a position when I could get a follow up shot. I always carry 4-5 arrows so hopefully that is enough to never come down to the knife to finish the job...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”