Lucky hunt(s) - Add Your Story...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Lucky hunt(s) - Add Your Story...

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:13 am

First weekend bowhunting EVER - didn't see a thing!

SECOND WEEKEND I had a rabbitts foot up my rearend -
Story goes like this...

Climbed in my stand for a Sat evening sit, hit my Doe Bleat Can a few times and 20-minutes later had a Button Buck come down the trail, right in front of me, like he was remote controlled. Broadside shot at 20-yards, hit a branch and deflected over his back. Little Buck ran to within 12-yards to my left and loaded another arrow. Hit another branch, but this one stuck him in the right rear leg and the little guy limped off up the hill bleating his little head off :cry: I was sick to my stomach...

20-Minutes pass and I see movement up the hill to my left. Holly Moly it's a big black bear!!! :o (Must have thought he was going to get some venison) It comes to a screeching halt @ 20-yards, I draw my bow and let it fly --> hitting another branch and over his back it goes - WTF... Bear looks behind him to see what the noise was and I take my time to load my last arrow from my quiver. I tell myself "bend down idiot" and let it fly --> Bingo!!! Looked like a perfect shot 4" in back of the shoulder just like the targets show - woo-hoo!!!

I get down and proceed to go to my buddy's stand 150-200 yards away, he asks me what going on as he heard me shoot my bow 4-times :lol: I tell him the story and we go back to camp and gather the boys. At this point it starts to rain heavy :roll: We continued to look for 20-minutes and back out - not wanting to chase a wounded bear in the dark...

Next day 5 of us looked for 2-hours. Then the others take off to bird hunt while I continued to search for another 3-hours. NO Luck! I hitch up with the group and bird hunt for 2-hours before heading back to my hot spot. While I'm bird hunting I am practically dragging my shotgun, sighing and moping around the whole way. MORE Luck would have it that 3-different locations had grouse flying down the very road I sulked down for text book hunting (that never happens to me).

I go back to my stand Sunday evening to have the button bucks brother come down the very same trail. However, I trimmed a few shooting lanes tonight !!! Well a little thing called "jumping the string" occurred and cut an 8" slice down his backside. While he licked the blood off his back @ 6-yards I sent another arrow his way with good results!!!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
westmibow

Re: Lucky hunt(s) - Add Your Story...

Unread postby westmibow » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:23 am

I don't know if I would consider this a lucky hunt. Maybe for you but you wounded 2 animals, actaully 3 before killing the last one. If it would have took off you would of wounded 3 animals in 2 sits. Not so lucky for the game your after. If you hit the bear where you say you did it should be dead. How long did you look for it?
I don't want to sound preachy or maybe I do but I would suggest some practice shooting and either a little more patience in waiting for a clean shot or a little more preperation in making sure you have some good shooting lanes cleared out. Its our ethical responsibility to make clean "kill" shots on these animals and then to retrieve those animals when they are shot or at least give it our best effort to find them. I am not even going to touch the issue of shooting button bucks.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:49 am

westmibow wrote:I don't know if I would consider this a lucky hunt. Maybe for you but you wounded 2 animals, actaully 3 before killing the last one. If it would have took off you would of wounded 3 animals in 2 sits. Not so lucky for the game your after. If you hit the bear where you say you did it should be dead. How long did you look for it?
I don't want to sound preachy or maybe I do but I would suggest some practice shooting and either a little more patience in waiting for a clean shot or a little more preperation in making sure you have some good shooting lanes cleared out. Its our ethical responsibility to make clean "kill" shots on these animals and then to retrieve those animals when they are shot or at least give it our best effort to find them. I am not even going to touch the issue of shooting button bucks.

Good points Newby. I've learned to ask questions before judging and I suggest re-reading my post, as it answers some questions that you clearly missed or care to drag into the mud...
To answer one question this was back in 1995 and today is 2011 - sounds to me like I learned my lesson. You should go to this post so you can spread your cheer and friendship ;)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9128

I'll ask a question now - Have you ever lost a game animal?
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:20 am

everyone makes mistakes
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:22 am

I'll ask a question now - Have you ever lost a game animal?[/quote]

well im going to admit that i have ....and its noting im prud of ...the nuber is about 7 or 8 :oops: but like you said NO ONES PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Back to topic...

I got lucky once by forgetting my treestand...

I was all burnt out from hunting every morning and evening all early season ( back when I was young and had energy :lol: ) and it was thanksgiving day after 6 days of all day gun hunting and I was heading to stand... I hiked the 1/2 mile or so to my tree and realized my treestand was not on my back... It was still in the truck! :evil: :roll:
Knowing I was cutting it close on time I leaned my shotgun against the tree and ran for the truck... I was running down a dirt road the tractors use to crop the fields and was almost back to the truck when a glance to my side saw movement. A rack was sticking out of a bed in a grassy bed on the edtge of some cattails. A shooter rack and its head was locked onto me watching my every move... So I just kept running so as to not spook the buck. I went around in a big circle and ran back to my tree and got my gun and ran back to where buck was stopped quick, took aim and shot him right in his bed... If that ain't pure luck, I don't know what is?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:01 pm

dan wrote:Back to topic...

I was all burnt out from hunting every morning and evening all early season ( back when I was young and had energy :lol: ) and it was thanksgiving day after 6 days of all day gun hunting and I was heading to stand... I hiked the 1/2 mile or so to my tree and realized my treestand was not on my back... It was still in the truck! :evil: :roll:
Knowing I was cutting it close on time I leaned my shotgun against the tree and ran for the truck... I was running down a dirt road the tractors use to crop the fields and was almost back to the truck when a glance to my side saw movement. A rack was sticking out of a bed in a grassy bed on the edtge of some cattails. A shooter rack and its head was locked onto me watching my every move... So I just kept running so as to not spook the buck. I went around in a big circle and ran back to my tree and got my gun and ran back to where buck was stopped quick, took aim and shot him right in his bed... If that ain't pure luck, I don't know what is?

:shock:

8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:02 pm

:shock: 8-) cant top that :?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Another morning (remember this is NH and not the famed mid-west) I had 5-deer, yes FIVE DEER, come into my set! Next thing I know...

To be continued... :twisted:

Thanks Dan 8-)
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:54 pm

My first deer i shot when i was 15 back when we didnt know how to deer hunt. :mrgreen: I dont remember why but we walked out a little before dark. Somebody opened up on the other side of the field and these 2 does come running over the hill at full tilt 75 yds out. My dad misses. He says wanna take a crack? I say sure. First shot with my 870 doe number 1 summer salts head over heals dead. I'll never forget the look on my dads face wish i could have took a picture. Shot it right through the heart in a dead run. Dont know if ill ever make one like that again.
westmibow

Unread postby westmibow » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:12 pm

Your right everyone does make mistakes, and I made one yesterday, I do apologize for my post. Sometimes things sound better when you are typing then they do when you have thought about them for a while. I am new to this forum and I don't want to start it off like that. So please accept my apology.

I have a story from last season actually. I hunted my mom and step dad's property. Its a small piece only 20 acres but its a really good piece. Almost all bedding and transition. Anyway, it was ealy in the season, Oct. 7 to be exact. My first time in this set. I am sitting there enjoying the evening when my step dad comes home and fires up this giant trimmer. The kind you mount on the back of a backhoe. This thing was loud. He proceeds to run this thing right through that magic hour. So you can imagine I am pissed. I am in my stand just fuming. I tell myself there is no reason to sit anymore its ruined. I don't think I even finished that thought when I see movement. I watch 4 doe come 15 yards by my stand, just as the last doe is going by my shooting lane, I see another deer. He was a nice 10pt and he followed those doe and gave me a nice shot. So I am not sure if the trimmer helped me or not, because it might of forced them to come by me instead of the alternative.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:24 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:First weekend bowhunting EVER - didn't see a thing!

SECOND WEEKEND I had a rabbitts foot up my rearend -
Story goes like this...

Climbed in my stand for a Sat evening sit, hit my Doe Bleat Can a few times and 20-minutes later had a Button Buck come down the trail, right in front of me, like he was remote controlled. Broadside shot at 20-yards, hit a branch and deflected over his back. Little Buck ran to within 12-yards to my left and loaded another arrow. Hit another branch, but this one stuck him in the right rear leg and the little guy limped off up the hill bleating his little head off :cry: I was sick to my stomach...

20-Minutes pass and I see movement up the hill to my left. Holly Moly it's a big black bear!!! :o (Must have thought he was going to get some venison) It comes to a screeching halt @ 20-yards, I draw my bow and let it fly --> hitting another branch and over his back it goes - WTF... Bear looks behind him to see what the noise was and I take my time to load my last arrow from my quiver. I tell myself "bend down idiot" and let it fly --> Bingo!!! Looked like a perfect shot 4" in back of the shoulder just like the targets show - woo-hoo!!!

I get down and proceed to go to my buddy's stand 150-200 yards away, he asks me what going on as he heard me shoot my bow 4-times :lol: I tell him the story and we go back to camp and gather the boys. At this point it starts to rain heavy :roll: We continued to look for 20-minutes and back out - not wanting to chase a wounded bear in the dark...

Next day 5 of us looked for 2-hours. Then the others take off to bird hunt while I continued to search for another 3-hours. NO Luck! I hitch up with the group and bird hunt for 2-hours before heading back to my hot spot. While I'm bird hunting I am practically dragging my shotgun, sighing and moping around the whole way. MORE Luck would have it that 3-different locations had grouse flying down the very road I sulked down for text book hunting (that never happens to me).

I go back to my stand Sunday evening to have the button bucks brother come down the very same trail. However, I trimmed a few shooting lanes tonight !!! Well a little thing called "jumping the string" occurred and cut an 8" slice down his backside. While he licked the blood off his back @ 6-yards I sent another arrow his way with good results!!!

You need a bigger quiver Ed! :violence-bowandarrow:
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:03 am

i think all my hunts are lucky. i feel lucky to be out there doing what i love. i do believe there is luck involved in any hunt.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:05 am

wow this really got sensitive opposite of heaven is now censored :lol: dont want someone thinking im throeing out the f-bomb, geez.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:53 am

westmibow wrote:Your right everyone does make mistakes, and I made one yesterday, I do apologize for my post. Sometimes things sound better when you are typing then they do when you have thought about them for a while. I am new to this forum and I don't want to start it off like that. So please accept my apology.

It's all good - No worries

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”