Now that it is raining....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail007
500 Club

Re: Now that it is raining....

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:59 pm

i should have hunted tonight. rain stopped at 2pm when i walked out the door to go watch the pack.

I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:07 pm

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:I went and scouted some new public land but it quit raining before I got there... :roll:
I like to have the rain wash my scent away.

After last weekend I question how much rain it takes to wash human scent away. On Sunday I knew a heavy brief rain shower was coming so I headed to one of my best spots for a SE wind on a island in the cattails hoping that if I got in my stand early enough most of my scent would be washed away. I wore a rain suit and hip boots and walked through 2 feet of water for a good 1/4 mile. After I got set up in my tree the heavy rain started and lasted for about 1 hour. About an hour after the heavy rain a mature doe and a nub buck came up on the island to eat acorns. As the doe left the island on the side where I walked on she came near the spot I walked. Immediately she went on alert when she hit my trail. :shock: I could not believe she picked up my scent that easy after all of the rain that came down especially considering I had hip boots and a rain suit on. It was still raining lightly at the time as well!! A whitetails nose truly is unbelievable!!

Wow... I gotta say rain must help. But I wonder what it takes to really remove the scent...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:01 am

Got the day off from picking seed corn but deer season is not open yet.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”