Would a deer ever choose browse over fields and acorns?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Would a deer ever choose browse over fields and acorns?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:56 am

After doing some duck hunting, I've found that a lot of that riverbottom land is loaded with tracks. Some REALLY BIG tracks. Yet, I can't understand what exactly the feeding and bedding patterns of these deer are. I'll give an example, there's a small lake (probably 1 mile long), and there's a river. Between these two bodies of water is a narrow strip of land (maybe 100 yards wide) that is littered with tracks that go the length of the two bodies of water. There are no oaks from what I can tell. Just big open woods in some areas and smaller brushier trees in other areas. The closer to the lake you go, the wetter it gets. Basically is a gradual transition from sand to mud.

I can't figure out if the deer bed closer to the wet land by the lake or in the brushier stuff in the middle. The tracks just seem haphazard, though there are always tracks that run the length of the narrow land on the logging road. I haven't had the chance to pre-scout this area. Thing is, there's fields around and big oaks and hills on the other side of the lake, but that's a heck of a long and wet walk (likely swim) to get there. Would these deer just be munching on browse and grasses? I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but this just seems weird. I'm not even sure where to set up.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Would a deer ever choose browse over fields and acorns?

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:15 am

I am sure deer sometimes go straight to browse or certain plants over acorns or crops. I know shining by me sometimes you don't see a certain buck living in the marsh out in the green fields for several weeks despite how often you shine.
Also, bedding comes first over food for a lot of bucks. The older the more important a "safe" place to bed is... They will wander to the food during the night.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Honeysuckle is a big one here and it's often characteristic of the bedding areas and they'll literally get up browse for a good stretch, loop back around to the bed and never leave the bedding during daylight.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:23 pm

I've seen signs of a lot of browsing on red dogwoods in wetter areas. I am not sure if they prefer that over crops though. They may chose it some days though to remain safe.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:29 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I've seen signs of a lot of browsing on red dogwoods in wetter areas. I am not sure if they prefer that over crops though. They may chose it some days though to remain safe.

from what i undestand backwoods red brush is there fav for browsing
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:41 pm

BigHunt wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:I've seen signs of a lot of browsing on red dogwoods in wetter areas. I am not sure if they prefer that over crops though. They may chose it some days though to remain safe.

from what i undestand backwoods red brush is there fav for browsing

red brush and cedar..deer LOVE browsing on cedar.
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:37 am

Hunting in really thick cover/bedding areas, deer will browse all day long before heading out to feed at night.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:56 am

My comprehension isn't what it should be, but believe I read 60%+ of a deers food is woody browse. Not hard to believe they would walk past what "we" think is a preferred food source to get to other browse. I know wild raspberry leaves are tough for a deer to pass up, and I fertilize any natural growth around my food plots. :D
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:45 am

Deer feed on hundreds of things. Try and watch what they are eating, they nibble on lots of stuff. Here's one I found eating dead brown oak leaves.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/Spysar/?action=view&current=lethimgrow.mp4[/bbvideo]
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:00 pm

Spysar wrote:Deer feed on hundreds of things. Try and watch what they are eating, they nibble on lots of stuff. Here's one I found eating dead brown oak leaves.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/Spysar/?action=view&current=lethimgrow.mp4[/bbvideo]

wow nice ya i see them eat all kinds of stuff .....nice sights spy nice set up 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:14 pm

Cool video spy... I have seen them really hit sugar maple leaves when they are dropping too..
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:49 pm

I have seen deer eat dry brown oak leaves also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:52 pm

ive also seen deer nibbling on little green maple leaves in early season
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:42 pm

dan wrote:Cool video spy... I have seen them really hit sugar maple leaves when they are dropping too..

Same here.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:13 am

This is good stuff. Definitely eases my confusion and makes me rethink the way I can set up on them on this land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”