Hunting Acorns in Hill Country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Footballer

Hunting Acorns in Hill Country

Unread postby Footballer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:12 am

1. How do you hunt areas that have acorns? Do you find an area that has good deer sign and use a topo map to locate potential deer beds and just get as close as you can?

2. I did some scouting last weekend and it looks like we have a decent white oak crop this year. I scouted the area on the map below and found a lot of deer sign on both of the acorn flats. The deer have been munching the white oaks and leaving droppings everywhere.

My problem is I don't know where exactly to setup. Although there are droppings everywhere, I don't know if the deer make it to those areas during daylight.

On the map below, the area I'm hunting is south of the black line. The brown marks are old logging roads. The pink dots are buck beds. The area consists of two large hardwood flats that are relatively open. I'm the only one that hunts this area so the deer have zero pressure outside of me.

How would you hunt this spot? Where would you put your stand and what wind would you use?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting Acorns in Hill Country

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:35 am

Based on those beds I would say you would have to hunt on a north or West wind ( thats when a mature buck would most likely bed there ) I would hunt as close to the beds as possible without risk of getting busted.
One tip, Bucks will prefer one certain oak tree over others in some cases, so look where the most activity seems to be. But the closer to the bedding you are, the higher your odds.
Footballer

Unread postby Footballer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:42 am

So with a North wind, you think I should come down that logging road and set up right above the cut just west of where he beds?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:44 am

I have no idea where exactly he has been feeding, so not sure of my answer, but coming in blind, I would certainly be looking at the top of the cut near the logging road end.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”