Mutiple Bucks ? Mutiple Beds ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Mutiple Bucks ? Mutiple Beds ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Is there any general guidline when finding mutiple buck beds, whether they were made by the same buck. or perhaps 2 different bucks bedding in close proximity to each other.I here a lot about multiple beds from 1 buck.How close to each other are those beds normaly.I,ve found 3 beds with-in 25 yards of each other that I would assume were the same deer.But an 1/4 mile away 2 more beds .I,ve jumped lone deer at both areas on different days with different winds.Will that buck shift that far .I,m trying to narrow down my search area of a certain buck.

PredatorTC
500 Club

Re: Mutiple Bucks ? Mutiple Beds ?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 am

The only thing i can come up with, is to find tracks in the beds and see if there different
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:45 am

I can think of multiple times when I have been on a buck that had a less dominate buck bedding within 50 to approx. 100 yds. Each time the less dominate buck has been bedded in a position that makes the dominate bucks bedding area that much more secure as the less dominate buck acts as the early warning system for the older/bigger buck. M.P.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:32 am

I agree with Predator, study the tracks, and rub characteristics, if there are any? Martin, yes I have seen that too! That's how those young bucks survive and make it to beast caliber ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:25 am

martin peters wrote:I can think of multiple times when I have been on a buck that had a less dominate buck bedding within 50 to approx. 100 yds. Each time the less dominate buck has been bedded in a position that makes the dominate bucks bedding area that much more secure as the less dominate buck acts as the early warning system for the older/bigger buck. M.P.

Right on! It took me awhile to figure that out myself!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:21 am

Usually from what I have observed, a bedding area with multiple beds is usually in a fairly tight area. Maybe a 50 yard diameter... Little more or little less...
Bucks seem to pick the beds based on conditions such as wind direction... When I have seen bucks shift position during daylight to another bed it usually aint far. One example is hill country, where points are preferred bedding. The reason I believe the bucks like to bed on points is because they can bed on one side of the point and catch the predominant wind coming down from the above them and the thermal rise coming up the hill from below. A slight wind direction change can leave a buck at a huge disadvantage if he is just bedded any where on a hill side catching these 2 winds. But on the point as long as the wind don't shift all the way around close to a 180, he should be able to shift to the other side of the point and still have a great wind advantage...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:48 pm

I found a very small island in a cattail marsh in mid-February that was about 30 yards in diameter. The day I was on this island was the day after a large snowstorm and on it I found three huge beds obviously by mature bucks all facing three different directions almost like they were guarding the island from any direction. When they left the island they all left into the wind probably as they heard me approach from downwind.

I have never seen this before but assumed they bed together during certain times of the year. I went back a few more times since then hoping to find some sheds but they seemed to relocate after my first intrusion of their bedding area.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:03 am

i agree with dan, i also agree with martin peters, there have been bucks on trail cameras that are always with another, now in talking after the bachelor groups break up and it seems to be a mature buck with an immature buck. same when hunting, little buck walks in then not much later here comes the prize. i dont think some dominant bucks feel to threatened by immature bucks and they will tolerate there presence but i have noticed they are always 1.5year olds(from what i have seen or captured on photos)
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:49 pm

During the rut the little bucks are screwing around with the does, but if she is close to popping you can bet the mature bucks will be keeping an eye on the little bucks and the doe ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks for the info guys.I was thinking back to my first big buck encounter. I had two 1.5 year olds step out together ,then right after came the big guy ,makes ense now.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:53 pm

ttt

Great thread.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Usually from what I have observed, a bedding area with multiple beds is usually in a fairly tight area. Maybe a 50 yard diameter... Little more or little less...
Bucks seem to pick the beds based on conditions such as wind direction... When I have seen bucks shift position during daylight to another bed it usually aint far. One example is hill country, where points are preferred bedding. The reason I believe the bucks like to bed on points is because they can bed on one side of the point and catch the predominant wind coming down from the above them and the thermal rise coming up the hill from below. A slight wind direction change can leave a buck at a huge disadvantage if he is just bedded any where on a hill side catching these 2 winds. But on the point as long as the wind don't shift all the way around close to a 180, he should be able to shift to the other side of the point and still have a great wind advantage...

Does the buck go to the leeward side when the wind's 180deg. diff.? Can we assume he'll use the points on that side the same way (to his advantage)? All this within 50yds (one way or another)?
Lateral Bowhunter
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:57 am

Does the buck go to the leeward side when the wind's 180deg. diff.? Can we assume he'll use the points on that side the same way (to his advantage)? All this within 50yds (one way or another)?

I would assume they do in some cases, and not in others... Might depend on how much they expose themselves... I shot my best buck in his bed that he only used on a West wind, when the west wind changed almost 180 degrees mid day... That wasn't hill country though, and shifting beds would of meant moving at least a couple hundred yards.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Fair enough.

Thanks.
Lateral Bowhunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”