lingering human scent

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

venisonassassin
500 Club

lingering human scent

Unread postby venisonassassin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:24 pm

How long will human scent linger in your hunting area to the point it will alarm deer? How long will it take a buck to get over it and move back though that area? There's probably a scientific answer to this one. How about some insight.

WiBowhuntress

Re: lingering human scent

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Well I would think that the answer would lie in the weather conditions at the time. Wind and rain of course is going to get rid of lingering scent quicker.

As far as how long it takes for a buck to "get over it" also varies. I think some bucks deal with it, but older more mature bucks may never move back into the area. Then again, it will depend on the area and how much human scent they are use to tolerating. I think each deer is different.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:37 pm

How long will human scent linger in your hunting area to the point it will alarm deer?

In the right conditions I think it could last as long as a week... Any human scent will alarm deer.
How long will it take a buck to get over it and move back though that area?

Good question... Every buck has a different temperament. And they get less and less tolerant each year of age. Deer that grow up on managed land may be more tolerant than deer that grow mature on public land...
One buck that has been bedding in a trusted spot on and off for several years might run 100 yards wait till you pass and walk right back over and bed... Another might freak out and not come back for a few months...
I try to treat them all like they are the super paranoid ones.

I hunt my best spots 2 or 3 times a year... And thats probably a little over doing it.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Your first time in is your best chance to killa mature buck! After that your chances dwindle rapidly! So you need to have enough spots that you only hunt them a couple times a season! They're gonna smell ya and they won't like it! :lol: They may not vacate their beddding area but you won't see them in daylight! ;) I agree with Dan, managed land bucks seem to be more tolerant of human scent than public land beasts! Don't overhunt any particular stand and save your honey holes for the right conditions! When all your stars line up, go in there and whack him!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”