Shot a doe tonight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Shot a doe tonight

Unread postby Brad » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:41 pm

I was running a little later than I wanted so I didn't have time to put up a stand, so me and my dad set up in a cornfield where I have been seeing a lot of does. I want to video my hunts so I though shooting one from the ground would be a good way to start out. I saw like 12 deer, and eventually one of the larger does got a little too close and I shot her, as soon as the arrow hit I heard bone cracking and she bellered and took off running with my arrow sticking in her. I am pretty sure I hit the tail edge of the shoulder. I never saw here leave the field and we figured she would be dead just over the knoll, but we didnt find her and were having a hard time even finding blood. It was right before dark so we looked for 4 hours and decided to back out and go back in the morning. I am confident she is dead but I don't like not having an arrow to check nor a blood trail yet. It will be a sleepless night tonight for sure.

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Shot a doe tonight

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Best of luck with the recovery. I personally have been there before as well as many others on this site I'm sure.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Good luck in the morning.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Zap wrote:Good luck in the morning.

X2!!!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:42 am

hope it works out! Keep us posted.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:06 am

Good luck Brad. I think we've all been there, it's definitely tough
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:20 am

Hope everything works out for the best!!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:40 am

Brad, any luck today? Did you have the hunt on film? Would be cool to view the footage and see where the shot placement ended up being. I hope you found your deer.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:39 am

I just got back in from looking for her. We looked for 3 hours last night looking for any sign of blood or the arrow and then started at 7 this morning and quit at 5. I cant find any sign she was ever there, no blood, no hair, no arrow nothing. I watched her run about 100 yards but it was in a backwards C type pattern, she headed towards standing corn but there was a dip in the hill and we couldn't see where she ran. We checked in all the ditches and grasses, looked for blood and hair in a cut cornfield, across the entire hay field she was in and then spent 4 hours walking every other row in the cornfield with my dads help. I would say all together we have 2o to 25 man hours in the search and we found absolutely nothing, it was the weirdest thing. My dad didn't get the shot on tape cause we were in a cornfield and she saw me draw the bow, but he did get bits and pieces of her running off, but I do remember her running off with the arrow flopping around, it looked like it didn't get much penetration, I am thinking I hit the back of the shoulder but I cant figure out why the arrow stayed in her.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:24 pm

thats a bummer man. everyone goofs up now and then don't let it eat you.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Bummer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:43 pm

I'm so mad about it I don't even want to go next week at this point. I hope the sinking feeling goes away before next week, but I hate to lose any deer. It just sucks, you work so hard to get in position for a shot and then you get a shot and things go wrong. Im sure it wasn't the braodheads fault at all, but I am going to re broadhead tune and switch back to muzzy mx4's instead of the G5 T3 that I had on when I shot her just for peice of mind. Its like she was never even there, I had zero sign to go off the entire time we tracked her. The only positive thing that came from this was I found a lot of deer beds in a drainage ditch full of grasses and weeds that I didn't know were there, but at this point I don't even want to pick up my bow.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I'm so mad about it I don't even want to go next week at this point. I hope the sinking feeling goes away before next week, but I hate to lose any deer. It just sucks, you work so hard to get in position for a shot and then you get a shot and things go wrong. Im sure it wasn't the braodheads fault at all, but I am going to re broadhead tune and switch back to muzzy mx4's instead of the G5 T3 that I had on when I shot her just for peice of mind. Its like she was never even there, I had zero sign to go off the entire time we tracked her. The only positive thing that came from this was I found a lot of deer beds in a drainage ditch full of grasses and weeds that I didn't know were there, but at this point I don't even want to pick up my bow.

dude just relaxe man you get bent out of shape it happends if anything you learned somthing and next time you dont make the same mistake ...

and it was just a doe you wernt shaking were you :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:54 pm

She had my blood boiling, I watched her come in for over 300 yards and at least an hour worth of her walking around. It happened real fast at the shot, she was out of range but only by 30 or 40 yards and then she trotted and next thing you know she was in range and when I drew she busted me and did the head bob thing where she was trying to figure out what I was. I get just as excited when I shoot a squirrel as I do when i shoot a nice buck, I guess thats why I live for it like I do. I would love to have undid the shot at this point, I hope she isnt suffering much :cry:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:She had my blood boiling, I watched her come in for over 300 yards and at least an hour worth of her walking around. It happened real fast at the shot, she was out of range but only by 30 or 40 yards and then she trotted and next thing you know she was in range and when I drew she busted me and did the head bob thing where she was trying to figure out what I was. I get just as excited when I shoot a squirrel as I do when i shoot a nice buck, I guess thats why I live for it like I do. I would love to have undid the shot at this point, I hope she isnt suffering much :cry:

hate to say it but she may be dead ....but hey thats hunting.... this weekend exicute with percison and make the shot
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”