Public marsh buck #1 down

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Public marsh buck #1 down

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:10 pm

This deer was dead about 5 minutes into the season. Shot him in the morning just after first light. He came from behind me, which was what I expected. The maple I was sitting in was completely barren of cover for about another 10 feet over my head. I stood up and turned my feet to lign up for a shot. He had me pinned and stared me down for a good 45 seconds. Finally he started walking again in the sand (must be a flooded area at some points of the year) and I was able to draw and stop him. The arrow from 22 yards center punched both lungs and the back of the heart. Though the blood was barely there, only a drop here and there, I was able to follow his tracks in the sand to where he had piled up after 80 yards. I was hunting with another friend close by. He happens to be more of a meat hunter, and since party hunting is legal in our area of minnesota under certain guidelines and we had talked about possible situations beforehand, I felt fine taking this buck, even though I'm still after a bigger one. The friend was more than happy to put his tag on it.

What made this hunt satisfying for me was that I'd never scouted this particular piece of public on foot before. I spend a few hours looking at aerial photos and picked a spot based on hunches, current weather conditions, and experience. Then I made a custom map for my GPS including a high def aerial image and path to the location I wanted to hunt. After arriving at the parking lot, I followed my pre-made route on the GPS right to the tree I wanted to hunt and set up. It was really nice to know that I'm finally getting to the point where my hunches are correct every so often. The whole purpose of this particular set up was to get a deer on the ground. I didn't expecet a mature buck to show anyways. I'm saving those hunts for afternoon sets. It sure is great to get back in the stand again and feel that adrenaline rush!

Dewey

Re: Public marsh buck #1 down

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Congrats on the public marsh buck!! 8-)
Glad to hear that your plan worked out!
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Great Job 8-) Way to bring the plan together!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:37 pm

What a satisfaction for you!
Great end!
8-)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:26 am

Wow, that's awesome! That's one of my favorite parts of public hunting, trying to read the terrain from a map and just going in and hunting it. Congrats on your buck. If you have time give us some more details on what kind of spot you picked and why.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:34 am

great job Bowhunter! nice buck.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:43 am

NICE!
I'm amazed you were able to pick out the EXACT TREE you wanted to hunt out of via high resolution aerials/topos. I'm amazed you were able to navigate to it in the dark having never been there before,set up (in the dark) and kill a nice buck. That is a powerful hunting system! Way to go!
Also, great idea to put this hunt together for a morning hunt just to get a deer,and saving your afternoon hunts for your prescouted buck bed hunts. I'm going to try this idea and see if I can pop off a doe without disturbing my buck beds ( I hunt Wisconsin earn a buck zone).
By the way, what source did you use for your aerial pic that you put on the gps?
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:31 am

Glad your set up worked. I think thats the first buck down from a beast member this year! Congrats man, always good to hear a fellow member have sucess.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:11 am

Congrats on your success. I like going in on a place I have never set foot on with a topo. It's great practice and really hones your skills.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:19 am

CONGRATS!!!
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:14 am

I agree with all the previous posts. Great job!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:22 am

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:28 am

Good plan,good buck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:41 am

Nice man! great job.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:57 am

bing.com/maps - So the first image is the "big picture" image. I envision the deer coming from the area near the parking lot and the browse on the south and east side of it. As they filter back to the NE, there's a little "island" of large trees. I figured they could possibly use this as a funnel between the really thick stuff and the river on the way back to bed. I also figured, and made the decision based on the wind, that I could walk the river bank to get back there without leaving a scent trail. I always like to enter my morning sets by looping around.

This second pic is further zoomed in on the "island". I also rotated the map. I find that rotating the map on bing.com/maps gives you a different image each time, sometimes from different times of the year and different lighting conditions, which allows you to pick up on things you missed with the first angle. You can often find exact trails going through cattails.

I picked that tree in near the front and center of the island because if you look at the scale, I'd be able to shoot anything moving through or near the edge of those big hardwoods. You can also see that river bed access better. All sand.

What suprised me was that once I actually walked into those tall trees, the ground was all sand. No brush, no grass, just big maples spread throughout. Must flood every spring and the dense canopy doesn't allow small growth? I've never seen that before, so I was initally a bit nervous about the set. But I got up in that tree, facing N (which would be facing away from the direction they'd come from). Sure enough, that buck came in from that middle red arrow. Would have been perfect for filming, since it was so open in there. Had shooting lanes out to probably 60 yards in several directions. Actually had the camera all set up, but didn't think there'd be enough light so I didn't bother. After the shot I turned the camera on and it had plently of light. O well, live and learn.

After it got light and I found the deer, I found that a better spot to sit likely would have been right on the edge of those tall open trees and the smaller trees I've labeled as "bedding". Even though I didn't see any over there, this buck probably would have made his way there, and there was a heavy trail through some tall grass right on that edge.

To put the aerial images on my GPS, I followed this tutorial:
[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fnYEDuoT8s[/bbvideo]

Once I have the bing.com image I want, I hit the PrtSc (print screen) button. Paste it into paint and crop out all of the borders and web adress stuff, etc. Then save it as a .jpg. Then put it in google earth, resize and drag and drop into the Custom Maps folder on the GPS. I'm not sure if it only works for Garmin or not. Then you can create a route to follow on the GPS, though, in this spot, it really wasn't even necessary. I can keep doing this process with several zoomed in images side by side to do the whole marsh if I want to. Then I get free topo lines for the GPS from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/. They show up right on top of the custom map image I've put on there. While not necessary for marsh hunting, they do help a lot for hill country. Beats buying Garmin's topo chip for like $100 or whatever it is.
Last edited by Carol on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for video player

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”