John Eberhart Hunting DVD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: John Eberhart Hunting DVD

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:36 pm

By the way, Eberhart also seen that Rompola antlers and said they were definitely real, but said he doesn't believe they came from Michigan because he doesn't think Michigan can produce a buck that big.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:41 am

KLEMZ wrote:Wow, I'm a bit surprised by the lukewarm reputation John Eberhart has on this forum. Here is a guy who is sharing his hard earned knowledge for consistently putting down mature bucks in a part of the nation where it isn't easy. the ONLY other guy I know of that fits that description is Dan Infalt. If it wasn't for guys like this I'd still be stumbling along reading hunting magazines and hunting field edges. There are alot of very good hunters out there, but only a select few willing to share their success.

I agree. If there ever was a bunch of guys that would respect what he does I figured it would be here. I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 am

Dewey wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:Wow, I'm a bit surprised by the lukewarm reputation John Eberhart has on this forum. Here is a guy who is sharing his hard earned knowledge for consistently putting down mature bucks in a part of the nation where it isn't easy. the ONLY other guy I know of that fits that description is Dan Infalt. If it wasn't for guys like this I'd still be stumbling along reading hunting magazines and hunting field edges. There are alot of very good hunters out there, but only a select few willing to share their success.

I agree. If there ever was a bunch of guys that would respect what he does I figured it would be here. I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

x3
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 am

Ive got his first two books and think they are great. Really one of the only resources out there that can provide useful information on hunting in realistic situations. I dont know why anyone would have anything bad to say really.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:39 am

kenn1320 wrote: I think he has lots of good advice, but what he leaves out is location. He finds locations that can hold a mature buck. Those locations are close to areas of no hunting, whether that be a decent parcel of private that doesn't allow hunting, or a park, preserve, etc. Also within the last few years it was noted he is hunting across the road from one of the big qdm co-ops here in Michigan. I guess he can still claim he isn't hunting on land that is being managed for big deer, but he is shooting managed deer at that location.

Isn't this really what we all should be doing? I am looking for pockets of public land that hold mature deer or where mature deer travel during shooting hours. I don't really care how or where a buck reaches maturity I just have to find a location I can legally shoot him. We should all learn from this and be looking for these kinds of locations.

One of my favorite spots is a big swamp that borders a very large chunck of private land. You need a canoe to access this area so that keeps out 99% of the other public land hunters. I don't know if the privates practice qdm but I do know the public land holds mature bucks. Now should I call it managed private land if they do practice qdm or is it ok to call this public land?

Another spot I am looking into is across the road from a military base known for big deer. What I have found is the land across the road from the base is public and gets pounded with bowhunters so I am now looking into accessing the islands on the river that borders the base.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:01 am

Good points headgear. Isnt it kind of one of the main rules to killing mature deer? You have to hunt where they live dont you? Finding that is half the battle, the other half is actually them.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:27 am

headgear wrote:
kenn1320 wrote: I think he has lots of good advice, but what he leaves out is location. He finds locations that can hold a mature buck. Those locations are close to areas of no hunting, whether that be a decent parcel of private that doesn't allow hunting, or a park, preserve, etc. Also within the last few years it was noted he is hunting across the road from one of the big qdm co-ops here in Michigan. I guess he can still claim he isn't hunting on land that is being managed for big deer, but he is shooting managed deer at that location.

Isn't this really what we all should be doing? I am looking for pockets of public land that hold mature deer or where mature deer travel during shooting hours. I don't really care how or where a buck reaches maturity I just have to find a location I can legally shoot him. We should all learn from this and be looking for these kinds of locations.

One of my favorite spots is a big swamp that borders a very large chunck of private land. You need a canoe to access this area so that keeps out 99% of the other public land hunters. I don't know if the privates practice qdm but I do know the public land holds mature bucks. Now should I call it managed private land if they do practice qdm or is it ok to call this public land?

Another spot I am looking into is across the road from a military base known for big deer. What I have found is the land across the road from the base is public and gets pounded with bowhunters so I am now looking into accessing the islands on the river that borders the base.

Well said headgear.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:33 am

Dewey wrote:

Yeah..he obviously does it right. He's been killing mature bucks where very few do for over 30 years. I do agree though..he is a pre rut/rut guy..in fact he rarely hunts early-mid October anymore. I got into a long discussion with him over this topic as I've had good luck with October bucks in Michigan..he thought it was a waste of time in high pressure areas.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:31 am

ozzz wrote:Ive got his first two books and think they are great. Really one of the only resources out there that can provide useful information on hunting in realistic situations. I dont know why anyone would have anything bad to say really.

If anyone is including my comment about his video's being a disappointment then Get them and see for yourself. It's just my opinion. I expected more out of John. He is a very good hunter that works hard to find his spots and shoot the bucks he dose. He is a good guy and hunter as far as I'm concerned, but his book is much more detailed and thorough than his videos. He even says on his DVD to get his book if you want much more detailed and in depth information on his hunting techniques.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:53 pm

just got the new book in the mail today- not sure how different is ..but then again just flipped pages and havent started reading it yet

Will still say theyre good informative guys regardless
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:37 pm

I traded a old bow release to a guy on a different forum for his 3 hunting dvds and his archery dvd. I was happy with the hunting ones, haven't watched the archery one yet but I picked up a few tips. He hunts pretty much the same as we do here for the most part. My only gripe is promoting the scent lok products, but if it gives him confidence then great he needs to keep using it. I haven't shot even one buck with a bow over 100" yet, so I certainly wont complain about his methods because obviously he is getting it done consistently, and in a state not known for trophy deer. I might pick up a saddle if I can get a good used one for a decent price, I can see times where it could be beneficial. All in all I would recommend buying the series, (pretty much have to as they sort of build off one another), they areant very entertaining, but they show you how to kill deer, instead of watching celebrities shoot deer.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:53 pm

I must live in a cave, I've never heard of the guy.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:32 pm

I have a ton of respect for the guy, noone can say he bought his deer or just happens to hunt awesome land. His deer are earned for sure. He has a system of hard work, smart hunting and MOST important he belives in himself and his tactics.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:36 pm

Swampthing wrote:I have a ton of respect for the guy, noone can say he bought his deer or just happens to hunt awesome land. His deer are earned for sure. He has a system of hard work, smart hunting and MOST important he belives in himself and his tactics.

Yeah, Im with you here. It is super rare to find guys like this these days when you are looking for somwehat "big time" hunters who might actually be able to offer some useful advice.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Swampthing wrote:I have a ton of respect for the guy, noone can say he bought his deer or just happens to hunt awesome land. His deer are earned for sure. He has a system of hard work, smart hunting and MOST important he belives in himself and his tactics.

He also told me that a big key to his success was that he has a job that has him on the road all the time all over the state which has enabled him to find good places to hunt. This might be his second most important asset. Plus he works very hard at it, stays in shape, etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”