Help me dig into this a little deeper.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stump

Help me dig into this a little deeper.....

Unread postby Stump » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:16 am

A couple points I'd like to hear your opinions and explanations on if you don't mind.

1)The Moon. Underfoot....Overhead. This is when the moon is at it's highest/lowest correct? Outside of the dates Dan provided, does anyone know of a website that tells you this information?

2)Pressure....Barometer readings.

Let's hear what you believe and how you hunt the readings. Does it change what you do and where you hunt or how you hunt?

NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: Help me dig into this a little deeper.....

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:31 am

This might help you get started with your first question: http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8826

I use to pay close attention to the barometer readings. When it was rising or dropping between 28 and 30 I would be hunting. Later I found that I had more success just paying attention to storms and fronts. If a big storm front was coming, the deer would be moving. And right after a big storm had moved through, they would be moving again. My 2 cents.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:50 am

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomi ... one-day-us

Just put in your zip code, and it will retrieve the moon overhead ( moon transit ) for the day you specify....
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 am

So if I understand this right, for today as long as I'm out hunting at 2:20am and/or 12hrs on the flip side......they are "the" best times to hunt?

Wednesday
14 September 2011 Central Daylight Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 6:22 a.m.
Sunrise 6:52 a.m.
Sun transit 1:10 p.m.
Sunset 7:27 p.m.
End civil twilight 7:56 p.m.

MOON
Moonrise 7:38 p.m. on preceding day
Moon transit 2:20 a.m.
Moonset 9:12 a.m.
Moonrise 8:02 p.m.
Moonset 10:13 a.m. on following day
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:37 am

Stump wrote:So if I understand this right, for today as long as I'm out hunting at 2:20am and/or 12hrs on the flip side......they are "the" best times to hunt?

Wednesday

SUN

MOON

Correct ! But you might need a spotlight ! :D

but ya, that's how I take it too.... The moon transit, is the overhead we talk about, and then I think the other time , underfoot, is usually like 12 1/2hrs later....
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:47 am

Is there a general consensus though that says if the overhead or underfoot is after X time that a morning will not be good to hunt....or an afternoon wouldn't be good to hunt?

So maybe a scenario would be......

1)Overhead or underfoot at 12-2pm, a morning hunt won't be that great, but anything mid-day till dark will be good?
2)Overhead or underfoot at 7-9am, an afternoon hunt wouldn't be that great, but mornings would?

I'm just trying to understand this a little better. ha, ha But it just seems like I've noticed that if I see a moon rising at mid day/early afternoon....I always see deer out in the fields eating while driving home from work. I'm trying to see if I can 2&2 together.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:13 am

Stump wrote:Is there a general consensus though that says if the overhead or underfoot is after X time that a morning will not be good to hunt....or an afternoon wouldn't be good to hunt?

1)Overhead or underfoot at 12-2pm, a morning hunt won't be that great, but anything mid-day till dark will be good?
2)Overhead or underfoot at 7-9am, an afternoon hunt wouldn't be that great, but mornings would?

I'm just trying to understand this a little better. ha, ha But it just seems like I've noticed that if I see a moon rising at mid day/early afternoon....I always see deer out in the fields eating while driving home from work. I'm trying to see if I can 2&2 together.

I'm not sure I can give you a great answer to this, but I will try....
I think from what I have learned so far about this moon transit subject is this..... It seems like when the moon transit combines with the first hour or two of daylight, and the last couple of hours of daylight, will be your best relsults.... In the morning, the deer tend to get back a little late to their beds, and at night it may get them up off their beds a little bit earlier than normal to feed.....
So, lets say the sunset is at 7:00 pm. If you have a moon transit anywhere within an hour or less of that.... is good ! I think it goes, the closer the better. So if the transit was at 6:55pm it would be great ! Now, again, don't think it's just make deer go nuts and be running all over the woods like crazy, it's just a another tool that suggest these deer seem to start moving a little more than usual....
Now middle of the day ? Not sure about this one. All I can say is, I did have more trail cam pics last year of daytime photo's when the transit was for the middle of the day...

I don't know, I'm not a scientist, but there does seem to be something to it....

I know Dan has said that Andrae runs bunches of cameras, and he would compare daytime pics to when the transit was suppose to be, and the results were shocking....

So I think there is something to it, others may disagree.......
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:17 am

That is pretty much how I understand it dreaming. I do wonder if a mid-day moon transit during the rut would have the deer up and moving during those hours, I kind of remember talking about this before but I'm not sure. Might be a good topic closer to the rut to see if guy are seeing movement during those peak times.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:38 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
Stump wrote:So if I understand this right, for today as long as I'm out hunting at 2:20am and/or 12hrs on the flip side......they are "the" best times to hunt?

Wednesday

SUN

MOON

Correct ! But you might need a spotlight ! :D

but ya, that's how I take it too.... The moon transit, is the overhead we talk about, and then I think the other time , underfoot, is usually like 12 1/2hrs later....

That is funny!

thanks for the info too! I am trying to understand the moon times a little better myself.
go DEEP or go HOME
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:01 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
Stump wrote:Is there a general consensus though that says if the overhead or underfoot is after X time that a morning will not be good to hunt....or an afternoon wouldn't be good to hunt?

I think from what I have learned so far about this moon transit subject is this..... It seems like when the moon transit combines with the first hour or two of daylight, and the last couple of hours of daylight, will be your best relsults.... In the morning, the deer tend to get back a little late to their beds, and at night it may get them up off their beds a little bit earlier than normal to feed.....
So, lets say the sunset is at 7:00 pm. If you have a moon transit anywhere within an hour or less of that.... is good ! I think it goes, the closer the better. So if the transit was at 6:55pm it would be great ! Now, again, don't think it's just make deer go nuts and be running all over the woods like crazy, it's just a another tool that suggest these deer seem to start moving a little more than usual....
Now middle of the day ? Not sure about this one. All I can say is, I did have more trail cam pics last year of daytime photo's when the transit was for the middle of the day...

I don't know, I'm not a scientist, but there does seem to be something to it....

I know Dan has said that Andrae runs bunches of cameras, and he would compare daytime pics to when the transit was suppose to be, and the results were shocking....

You understand correctly sir, and I agree with your assessment whole heartedly.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:26 am

dreaming bucks wrote:

I'm going to do some bumping numbers and trail camera pictures against the moon charts this year. I'll use my cameras that are running now and have been for a month. I won't check these cameras until early/mid October. I'm not a moon guy but am interested in finding out if there is a pattern.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”