Size of rub vs size of buck ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Size of rub vs size of buck ?

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:00 pm

]
Schultzy wrote:[
No Idea. I'll have to take a closer look when I go back out there to check my cams.[/quote]
where are they about on your body

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I have been reading Greg Millers books and he puts a ton of work into finding rubs and is very successful hunting them. He said that any rub thats bigger than your wrist is usually a buck worth looking into. He says rubs are scent posts similar to a scrape, and how a deer will almost always rub his forehead on a rub and sometimes his face by his eye to leave scent behind for other deer. The other thing he goes in depth on is how you can get a good idea on where a deer is bedding and feeding by finding and following a rub line. He says with practice you can tell the buck that made the rub with reasonable certainty based on the size of the rub, height on the tree, damage to other trees, and direction of travel based on the side of the tree thats rubbed. He also says a lot of deer prefer to rub certain types of trees I.e pople, aspen, cedar, oak etc. and you can learn their rubbing habits. Another thing he said that was interesting is if you see a rub thats really rasped up, its most likely left by a buck with a lot of beading around his beams which could indicate a larger older animal. He shot a deer that he figured was a non typical because on his rubs there was deep gouging on the sides away from the direct rub. He eventually killed the buck on his rub line and it was an 18 point non typical with weird abnormal points on the side which was responsible for the special scaring on the trees. I think this is absolutely invaluable information and I will be putting it to good use this fall! Any body who hasn't read his books owes it to themselves to read them, there is so much I picked up that was just common sense that I just always over looked.

yes good book i aslo have and read it many times but ... the point is rubs all arnt what they seem i have seen nubby bucks rub on 6 -8 inch diamiter trees so you cant just say a thick tree is a good buck.......usally from my experiance is the higher the rub the bigger the deer the older the buck....about belly buten high is what i look for
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:09 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Brad Lamont wrote:I have been reading Greg Millers books and he puts a ton of work into finding rubs and is very successful hunting them. He said that any rub thats bigger than your wrist is usually a buck worth looking into. He says rubs are scent posts similar to a scrape, and how a deer will almost always rub his forehead on a rub and sometimes his face by his eye to leave scent behind for other deer. The other thing he goes in depth on is how you can get a good idea on where a deer is bedding and feeding by finding and following a rub line. He says with practice you can tell the buck that made the rub with reasonable certainty based on the size of the rub, height on the tree, damage to other trees, and direction of travel based on the side of the tree thats rubbed. He also says a lot of deer prefer to rub certain types of trees I.e pople, aspen, cedar, oak etc. and you can learn their rubbing habits. Another thing he said that was interesting is if you see a rub thats really rasped up, its most likely left by a buck with a lot of beading around his beams which could indicate a larger older animal. He shot a deer that he figured was a non typical because on his rubs there was deep gouging on the sides away from the direct rub. He eventually killed the buck on his rub line and it was an 18 point non typical with weird abnormal points on the side which was responsible for the special scaring on the trees. I think this is absolutely invaluable information and I will be putting it to good use this fall! Any body who hasn't read his books owes it to themselves to read them, there is so much I picked up that was just common sense that I just always over looked.

yes good book i aslo have and read it many times but ... the point is rubs all arnt what they seem i have seen nubby bucks rub on 6 -8 inch diamiter trees so you cant just say a thick tree is a good buck.......usally from my experiance is the higher the rub the bigger the deer the older the buck....about belly buten high is what i look for

I agree, any rub could be made by any deer depending on how much time they work on it. I think its just another tool to help put us in the right direction, and combined with proper scouting and a knowledge of the way the land lays, could be a very good way to hunt. Greg said several times in the book that a deer will rub how it wants to wether its high or low or however. and that all deer are different. I think its a good rule of thumb but just an educated guess as much as anything. Kind of how you cant base everything on the size of the track by itsself. More times than not a big track is from a larger deer, but I have shot does with frankenfeet and bucks with little hooves. In the end its just another peice of the puzzle, but I do know I will be spending a lot more time studying rubs this year!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

I agree, any rub could be made by any deer depending on how much time they work on it. I think its just another tool to help put us in the right direction, and combined with proper scouting and a knowledge of the way the land lays, could be a very good way to hunt. Greg said several times in the book that a deer will rub how it wants to wether its high or low or however. and that all deer are different. I think its a good rule of thumb but just an educated guess as much as anything. Kind of how you cant base everything on the size of the track by itsself. More times than not a big track is from a larger deer, but I have shot does with frankenfeet and bucks with little hooves. In the end its just another peice of the puzzle, but I do know I will be spending a lot more time studying rubs this year!

i agree brad o ya 8-) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:33 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:Never seen a Buck in the process of rubbing a tree, so to me, it's all up to your imagination to dream if he's big or not...

I have noted regularly and would think when I see a decent size sappling, say 1 1/2-2" in diameter, that requires great force to bend it towards an adjacent tree - that in fact a big powerful buck pushed it hard enough to gouge the back tree.

I have spent a time or two personaly trying to push the very same tree back enough to reinact the force required for tines to tickle that back tree. Maybe a little more scientific verses dreaming :)

well ed i dream is real because its not hard too say if you find rubs in a bed or near a bed and its about belly butten high or higherf then its safe to say its 3.5 old ...theres some small 3 year old and some big ones. its up to you to get close enough and get a shot at him or at least a glance then youll know when your on to it (trust in your scouting). another thing is if you can see any tracks that tells alot too. just use the finger trick ... if its a three finger track then its at least 2.5 to 3.5 if its a four finger track then you realy know its a good buck

and deer are alot stronger than you think... a cople years ago we did a drive some shot a doe and it wasnt dead when we walk up on so..........stupid me decided to jump on it ...yes i said jump on it a slit its throat...........

WELL THAT D@M THING KICKED MY A$$ i grab on and in a flash she was up and runing full boar with me on here back i lasted 2 seconds but when i slid under here she kicked me a few and thank good i had thick close on it felt like i got hit my tyson or something.... lets just say im never doing that agin ...the guys were laughing so hard it was bad

my point is deer are alot stronger than you think ...just a little basket rack buck will be able to do that as well all it needs is some antlers and b@lls and it will do damage... the deer that attacked me was wounded in the body and still had it in her to get me off and still ran off

not being mean just letting you know that rubs arnt what they seem ...sometimes ..and dreams are possible 8-)

I agree - that's what I implied... Most likely EYE candy unless you saw the buck creating the rub line... Beds, of course, are/can be a different story...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Little Rubs :|
Thrashed Brush :D
Big Rubs :o
Big Rubs + High Rubs :shock:

I have also had a lot of nice rub lines lead me right into a great buck bedding areas so those make my cool list. 8-)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:04 pm

headgear wrote:Little Rubs :|
Thrashed Brush :D
Big Rubs :o
Big Rubs + High Rubs :shock:

I have also had a lot of nice rub lines lead me right into a great buck bedding areas so those make my cool list. 8-)

8-) 8-) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:33 pm

Here is a rub cluster I found in northern Wisconsin this past spring. It was located 8 yards away from a 3 1/2 finger buck bed in hilly terrain. The bed appeared to be well used.

There are three different aged rubs visible.
notice that the older and smoother the rub, the lower it is. It seems to me that as this buck got older and taller he also developed burrs on his antler bases that caused progressively more shredding each year. I have never seen this buck but I do plan to hunt him this fall. Looks like a good example of a single buck getting a bit taller each year.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:40 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Here is a rub cluster I found in northern Wisconsin this past spring. It was located 8 yards away from a 3 1/2 finger buck bed in hilly terrain. The bed appeared to be well used.

notice that the older and smoother the rub, the lower it is. It seems to me that as this buck got older and taller he also developed burrs on his antler bases that caused progressively more shredding each year. I have never seen this buck but I do plan to hunt him this fall. Looks like a good example of a single buck getting a bit taller each year.

That's what I'm talkin about right there! Go get it done buddy!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:45 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Here is a rub cluster I found in northern Wisconsin this past spring. It was located 8 yards away from a 3 1/2 finger buck bed in hilly terrain. The bed appeared to be well used.

my point excatly ..im glad you showed taht thats a perffect pic and example
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Great example Klemz!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:58 pm

headgear wrote:Great example Klemz!

definlty 8-) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm

I definitely agree that high rubs are of big bucks....little bucks don't make high rubs. Generally a big buck depending on the ground around the tree won't want to bend down and make the low ones. I'm 6' tall and like to find them from my hip to my chest with heavy shredding(good beadwork)

heres just a couple from this spring....these are in a wet area and I would imagine the buck sank down in the grass a little and still got good height on these rubs.

When better is possible, good is never good enough
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:19 pm

nice another good example 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Great example of rubs there guys.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”