Size of rub vs size of buck ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

Re: Size of rub vs size of buck ?

Unread postby adrenalin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:51 am

I have a decent example of a buck that left me some evidence. So last January shed hunting I found some night beds from a group of buck in a crp field. All 3 of the bucks were 3-4 finger tracks with big beds. After a few days of these guys feeding in the crp I followed one of the bucks track to find his bedding area. This buck was a solid 3 finger pushing 4 finger track. His tracks lead me to a fresh rub he made with a scrape in front of it. So I knew he still had his horns. I followed the tracks as close as I could to his bedding area and left knowing where he was going to bed and hopefully drop his horns. A week later I went back to his bedding area and found one of his horns about 15 feet from his bed. The same track that lead me to the rub and his bedding area was in his bed by the horn he dropped. I would have to say by the size of the track, the big beds he had and assuming his other side was close in size this buck was 3.5-4.5 years old. He would score mid 130's. From the beds he would be over 200 pounds. The hight of the rub was about waste high, being the only indicator to someone that it was a bigger deer, because it was on a small tree. Hopefully this is helpfull.
His night bed in the crp
His 4 finger track that was easly recognizable
The rub with scape in front of it with his tracks leading to it
His shed right by his bed

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks adrenalin, that is exactly what I'm talkin' about! Nice detective work. very helpful.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:56 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Thanks adrenalin, that is exactly what I'm talkin' about! Nice detective work. very helpful.

X2! I plan on doing a lot more following tracks in the snow next season....I think it might be the best way in those areas that have seemingly endless transition edges and bedding potential. Thanks for sharing
When better is possible, good is never good enough
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:52 am

yea i appreciate the pics and evidence.. hopefully will help me determine the size buck that made some rubs i been checking out..and find more sheds this yr. thnx
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:48 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:Thanks adrenalin, that is exactly what I'm talkin' about! Nice detective work. very helpful.

X2! I plan on doing a lot more following tracks in the snow next season....I think it might be the best way in those areas that have seemingly endless transition edges and bedding potential. Thanks for sharing

x3...i think getting out in the snow may be the only way to scout/find bedding in the swamp where i hunt. thick canary grass with miles of alder thickets and a endless but not well defined transition line. impossible to tell in spring when its full of water, cant see anything now but come snow, it should be alot easier! 8-)
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”