stand site /wind direction?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

stand site /wind direction?

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:13 am

so usually i know exactly which wind direction i need for a certain set, BUT there have been some areas im not so sure. my question is this. how many of you guys if uncertain will purposely hunt a stand every wind direction to find out. i know you may bump them out on the first wrong wind if your guess is wrong. i have a spot that i wasnt sure cause it is an urban area and because i didnt care(at first) on the impact i had on the area i thought i would experiment. so over a few years time i have continued to hunt this 1 stand setup with multiple winds. i stopped this last year midway through the season after i was convinced of my results. over a few years time and multiple sits with all different wind directions i have only seen deer on 1 wind direction . why i did this ? because i had nothing really to loose other than time and now that i have my answer i dont have to waste any more of it :lol: . but almost like clock work if i sit the right direction im seeing deer more so than not. and i guess im that way i wanted to know so i just kept sitting it, and i couldnt get away with even the slightest shift in the wind and it meant no deer. now all i have to do is wait for the right wind and right deer. i really had no idea where these deer were bedded cause it being an urban area and these deer adapt to strange situations. sometimes these urban areas make for some strange hunts, dogs barking ,horns honking, radios in cars blasting, kids yelling, neighbors hiking etc......... hard to get used to for sure :roll:

Brandon
500 Club

Re: stand site /wind direction?

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:21 am

I hunt a few urban spots and I wont hunt it if
A] my scent is blowing thru the woods when I enter or
B] my scent blows towards the direction(s) I think the deer will come from.
Usually in an urban envirnoment you should be able to figure there general direction of travel.
I know all about lawn mowers, leaf blowers, kids kissing behind the house, smoking in the woods, car horns, people yelling, ect.
Im glad i dont do it much anymore.. I enjoy the silence.
You can't kill em on the couch
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:10 am

I never really hunt an area with a bad wind direction. So agree with you.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:20 am

me neither stanley i thought i knew where they would bed and was wrong. it is a very small area and since i wasnt sure and didnt care at first i just experimented. now i see some potential so its strictly the right wind.plus with the experimenting i know for sure its right :oops: the funny thing i realized is they are bedding very close im almost surpised i get away with the setup :lol: im a bit embarrased i couldnt figure this tiny setup out without doing what i did it seems as though it would have been easy as its such a tiny area :oops:
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:23 am

Huge value in windmapping stands with a smoke bomb in a coffee can....things change w the seasons but you will have a better idea on thermals and wind directions

Though each buck varies.....most i have seen like quartering to winds or a snout full between bedding and food....with winds being a lesser issue on returning to bedding from the primary food source.....come chase phase....they get sloppier with consitency BEYOND the aspect of being down wind of everywhere a doe or danger could be.....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:39 am

well from my experiance a buck beds on the wind for that spot for a reason. when i scout in spring its easy to determine why the deer is there the wind,cover,terrian ,ect..... if the wind is wrong for that set up i dont even think about it because the deer is there for that reasoned wind if the wind is wrong it probly wont be there
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”