mid-day bucks during the rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: mid-day bucks during the rut

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:01 pm

jclaws wrote:During the rut it could happen at anytime.Ive killed them at 7:00 am 1:00pm and 5:00 pm.I prefer to hunt every single chance i get from oct 25th-nov 31st.You really never know when a whopper is gonna show up.

Same here, all hours of the day.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:26 pm

The biggest buck I ever laid eyes on came through at 11:45 am on Oct. 28 2007 in Wi, no doubt out scent checking a doe bedding area and a field edge, would have had him if I hadn't botched the shot, he was a true 180" plus. :cry:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:53 pm

jclaws wrote:During the rut it could happen at anytime.Ive killed them at 7:00 am 1:00pm and 5:00 pm.I prefer to hunt every single chance i get from oct 25th-nov 31st.You really never know when a whopper is gonna show up.

Same here. During the rut I sit all day and have seen bucks at all times of the day. The only time mid-day action stops is when the temps are unseasonably warm.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:55 am

Dewey wrote:
jclaws wrote:The only time mid-day action stops is when the temps are unseasonably warm.

I think it probably slows down but not stops, my dad shot a mature buck during the rut at high noon, thermomoter said 70 degrees. Everyone else was back at the shack having some lunch and a few cold beverages to fight off the heat. I was young and not much of an all day sitter then but that sure was eye opener.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:56 am

I never really understood the going out after it gets light out or midday sits besides the fact of catching up on sleep. I've seen deer and shooters all times of the day. In fact the biggest one was right at shooting light. Just because the best time is from xam - xpm doesn't mean I won't be in the tree as soon as shooting opens! :twisted:
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:23 am

headgear wrote:

Same here, all hours of the day.

Same here all hours.... which is nice, since it allows for a little more flexibility if you can make it out early.
go DEEP or go HOME
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:07 pm

Czabs wrote:I never really understood the going out after it gets light out or midday sits besides the fact of catching up on sleep. I've seen deer and shooters all times of the day. In fact the biggest one was right at shooting light. Just because the best time is from xam - xpm doesn't mean I won't be in the tree as soon as shooting opens! :twisted:

Only reason I sometimes wait for gray light to enter stands is to get there more quietly and do so without a light. True, you may get some bucks moving right at first light, but in all my years of hunting I think I have only killed one right at daybreak......late morning during pre-rut/rut has been MUCH better.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 am

I would miss a evening hunt before a morning or a midday, espcially on public land mid day durring the rut has produced my best hunts.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”