Overhead moon FYI

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike

Overhead moon FYI

Unread postby Mike » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:30 am

Last week I was paying attention to the moontimes and one night called for the overhead moon to be at 8pm-ish, but noticed something that seemed weird. The moon wasn't over my head, it was up at a 45degree angle or so in the sky. Some may know this but the reason for this is the "overhead" means directly over the earth in relation to the sun, not directly overhead like the sun is at midday. So the only way the overhead moon would be directly over your head is if you were on the north pole. FYI

BigHunt

Re: Overhead moon FYI

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:00 am

interesting :geek: sweet info man 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:08 am

Some of those charts you have to adjust for time zone. Also, they give a time, usually like 5:30pm-7:05pm so you have an exact time. I generalize my moon phase info a lot and am not concerned about the exact overhead time but weather or not it will happen during hunting hours.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 am

So does deer movement peak when the mood is directly overhead of us, or directly overhead the earth in terms of the moon like you mentioned?
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:33 am

Mike wrote:Last week I was paying attention to the moontimes and one night called for the overhead moon to be at 8pm-ish, but noticed something that seemed weird. The moon wasn't over my head, it was up at a 45degree angle or so in the sky. Some may know this but the reason for this is the "overhead" means directly over the earth in relation to the sun, not directly overhead like the sun is at midday. So the only way the overhead moon would be directly over your head is if you were on the north pole. FYI

Thanks for the info :D
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:34 am

It peaks when the moon is overhead/underfoot the earth in relation to the sun

The top pick is an example of overhead
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Good point mike... I was aware of that, but think I may have neglected to state that info.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Mike wrote:It peaks when the moon is overhead/underfoot the earth in relation to the sun

Good info, and thanks for the pic..it really helps to understand what is exactly happening..

So the peak movement is still as they predict correct? When the charts show that the moon is overhead/underfoot?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:53 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
Mike wrote:It peaks when the moon is overhead/underfoot the earth in relation to the sun

Good info, and thanks for the pic..it really helps to understand what is exactly happening..

So the peak movement is still as they predict correct? When the charts show that the moon is overhead/underfoot?

Correct. But there is a time offset of 4 minutes per degree you are off of the meridian.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:32 am

dan wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:

Correct. But there is a time offset of 4 minutes per degree you are off of the meridian.

Do you mean the longitude meridian the chart is based off of? Im assuming its just like the sunrise/sunset charts??

Never seen Murray's guide, but does he use like the 90 degree longitude, and then you base everything off that or something?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:39 am

Central time zone is based of of 90 degrees west.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”