FINALLY got a picture of a shooter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

FINALLY got a picture of a shooter

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:00 am

Now I'm pumped!! Got a picture of this guy in a secluded area that is loaded with apples. I need to check the weather history and see what wind he was using this at. Come on October 1st!

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: FINALLY got a picture of a shooter

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:04 am

Ooooooh that's a dandy....awesome mass! Now go get him buddy!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:09 am

NICE PIC the tips of his rack are showing cant belive hes not out of velevt yet ....looks to 140-145 ish nice buck dude good luck with him
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:14 am

Nice one xp, a stud for sure! + daylight photos, looks like he likes to get up for a midday snack.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:19 am

Dandy buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:10 am

:o :mrgreen:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:35 am

:D
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:43 am

Dandy indeed. Hope to hear the story this fall.
DeereGuy

Unread postby DeereGuy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:48 am

Yea man..thats what we are all looking for....great buck and good luck.
Be safe and enjoy!
Bob
2011 Parker Enforcer
1976 Bear Kodaik Magum Recurve
Summit Viper SD climber
Ameritech Stackhouse ground blind
Grim Reaper 100gr. Razor Cut SS 3 blade 1.75 broadheads
2 Wildgame D8 trail cams
Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport 450 RF
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Nice buck ! Is that a ground blind set-up behind him ?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Is that the only pic you got of him? The reason I ask is the midday pic tells me your likely near his bedding area, and they don't tolerate human invasion in a safe zone ( around there bedding ) I used to get a lot of pictures like that when I put cameras right where I intended to hunt, or when I put them near bedding areas I did not intend to hunt, and usually I would get a pic the 1st or second day of a mature buck and then after smelling my presence there would be no more pic's... Not every time, but most of the time.
If it were me, regardless of why you put the camera there, I would remove it and stay out till kill time.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:42 pm

In the background is an old rusted out car. There are quite a few old Ford cars that look like they are from the 40's or 50's that people just abandoned here and now it's completely overgrown with some apple trees thrown in and a beaver dam which funnels the deer movement pretty well from the looks of the trails.

Dan, yes this is the only picture I got of him. I set my cam on Sunday and pulled it the following Sunday. I got this picture of him Tuesday. I have really taken your advice about trail cam usage and haven't been putting it where I hunt even though I've been dying to. Instead, what I have been doing is using it to scout areas that I have never hunted before but had an interest in, so getting this picture is kind of a bonus because I would have never hunted this area this year because it is so out of the way and a smaller piece (exactly why other hunters probably pass it up and exactly why he is here.) I will definitely be in there hunting this year though! I am not going back in there until kill time for sure. Next time I get in there I will be hanging with my bow in my hand!

I'm pretty sure my scent didn't spook him because when I set the cam, I set it to take 3 pictures, and in the 2nd and 3rd pics, I can see the trail he headed down and when I scouted this area on Sunday, I actually walked out the trail he walked in on. We had some heavy rainfall all day Monday from the tropical storm that came up the East coast, so I think it washed my scent away before he came upon it on Tuesday. When I pulled my cam, I took the best route I could to it, grabbed it and went back out the same way. I didn't walk around anymore than I had to.

What sucks though is my cam was up for 7 days, and I got 1 picture of him at 11 am. Those arent very good odds for picking the right day to go in there and hunt him.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:45 pm

What sucks though is my cam was up for 7 days, and I got 1 picture of him at 11 am. Those arent very good odds for picking the right day to go in there and hunt him.

I hear that... But it might help to look at weather and wind for that day and try and hit the same conditions when you give it a go.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:10 pm

dan wrote:

I hear that... But it might help to look at weather and wind for that day and try and hit the same conditions when you give it a go.

Sounds like a plan. I know there are tons of doe in that area, so I may give it one early season hunt then hope the apples keep the doe in the area closer to the rut and hope to catch him in November.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:51 pm

great lookin' deer....they always taste a little better after they eat some apple's too
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”