egg tag

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

egg tag

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:52 am

just wondering what your thoughts were on the agricultural tag,..... were i hunt in western wisconsin the amsih down the road registerd at least 40 deer last year beacsue they eating in his hay feild :roll: come on are you joking 40 deer no wonder why theres no does around any more ....and who know how many he shot and just dragged to the barn and buchered them with out registering...

idk im just venting :evil: :evil:

theres no reason for this herd controll is killing the population off and its showing big time

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Re: egg tag

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:15 am

It depends on the area, I have shot deer on ag tags in areas that were literally overrun with deer, but there are also areas where they are very few deer. In the areas where there is a definite overpopulation, its a nice option, but in areas where there are low deer densities, it needs to go.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:19 am

Brad Lamont wrote:It depends on the area, I have shot deer on ag tags in areas that were literally overrun with deer, but there are also areas where they are very few deer. In the areas where there is a definite overpopulation, its a nice option, but in areas where there are low deer densities, it needs to go.

i hear ya brad but when more than have of the deer were does just think thats posibly three fawns for every does thats shot ...it perty sad if you ak me
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:36 am

Farmers can be just as bad.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:47 am

Stanley wrote:Farmers can be just as bad.

ya i know the farmer next to me hates deer to becasue there eatin the tops of his corn ....so i asked if i could bow hunt and he said no ...some guys have mixed feelings about it
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:50 am

BigHunt wrote:

ya i know the farmer next to me hates deer to becasue there eatin the tops of his corn ....so i asked if i could bow hunt and he said no ...some guys have mixed feelings about it

I know of private ground that is overhunted because of this. Farmers let anyone hunt to kill deer.

Corn is $7.00 a bushel that doesn't help.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:53 am

Stanley wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

I know of private ground that is overhunted because of this. Farmers let anyone hunt to kill deer.

Corn is $7.00 a bushel that doesn't help.

its frustaring when your trying to manage to land then the guy next store is taking them out one by one bucks and does....how are we going to grow big bucks if hes shootin them as yearling and 1.5 year olds :roll:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:06 am

One has to assume if the amish guy can shoot 40 deer, there must be a pretty big herd of deer in the area. While it might seem like a lot (and I agree it might be too many) remember that you have to shoot 30% of the does every year, or the herd numbers go up. We all want to see lots of deer, but that isn't always whats best for the deer, or the land. As an example the 80 acres I hunt I think there is a good number of deer, but if I shot every deer that set foot in the neighbors 40 acre field, I bet I couldn't shoot 40 all season. Do yourself a favor in July and try your best to drive the area and do your own census. Then compare that to what the dnr thinks your dpm is and see where your at. Up by my dads the dpm target set by the dnr is 25 I believe. Ill know next weekend the local qdm co-op has a meeting and an officer from the dnr will be there. We try to keep the herd at what they have targeted.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 pm

I'm pretty sure you can only shot does with ag tags. At least that's what I was told by a farmer in the program. Also the farmers have to show kills or they get kicked out of the program.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:21 pm

adrenalin wrote:I'm pretty sure you can only shot does with ag tags. At least that's what I was told by a farmer in the program. Also the farmers have to show kills or they get kicked out of the program.

ya but not every ones honist...how many deer are shot that arent registered...its hard to say
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:01 pm

I think the Dnr has the option of letting people shoot bucks depending on the size of the herd. One benefit to it is if you want to successfully manage for QDM, a huge part of that is controlling the does. If you have someone taking the does down in the summer, there will be a lot more competition when the rut comes on. If your going to take a doe to manage your herd I would say mid to late august would be the ideal time.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:23 am

what time frame do these ag tags have cause if its late season, i dont know of any amish farmers having standing crop fields . matter of fact all the amish around me are the first to drop there crops and they dont leave a spec. for the deer. the best way to combat that is leave yourself some standing crops to deter them away from the amish. the amish around me will buy farms without barely any woods then they want to hunt your woods. i tell em no. then they try to pull the old i guess ill get ag tags and shoot em in the fields, i say go ahead, in your fields. then i tell them that sound like a good idea i think ill do the same, they dont like that. i even let the amish use my open land for free but next year they will be leaving standing crops on my farm by my request that way they have no reason to wander into there fields as much without any crops. PLUS i let them know hom MANY cameras i have placed around the farm to deter them from trepassing and believe me it works. :lol:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:20 am

tim wrote:what time frame do these ag tags have cause if its late season, i dont know of any amish farmers having standing crop fields . matter of fact all the amish around me are the first to drop there crops and they dont leave a spec. for the deer. the best way to combat that is leave yourself some standing crops to deter them away from the amish. the amish around me will buy farms without barely any woods then they want to hunt your woods. i tell em no. then they try to pull the old i guess ill get ag tags and shoot em in the fields, i say go ahead, in your fields. then i tell them that sound like a good idea i think ill do the same, they dont like that. i even let the amish use my open land for free but next year they will be leaving standing crops on my farm by my request that way they have no reason to wander into there fields as much without any crops. PLUS i let them know hom MANY cameras i have placed around the farm to deter them from trepassing and believe me it works. :lol:

tim i
didnt say winter i said last year and the feild is hay ...last summer before season he regesterd at least 40 deer ... im good freinds with the owner of hardware hank were they register deer
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:08 am

so they can shoot em in the summer, that sucks. can they shoot them year round? some of our rules are so out of whack, yet they dont want people hunting but claimn they dont want the deer around cause of crop damage :roll:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:31 am

tim wrote:so they can shoot em in the summer, that sucks. can they shoot them year round? some of our rules are so out of whack, yet they dont want people hunting but claimn they dont want the deer around cause of crop damage :roll:

i dont acutaly know but from what i heard he registered A LOT OF DEER 40 plus
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”