Front yard plot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike

Front yard plot

Unread postby Mike » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Took some pics of a plot we got going in the front yard at the property. Its just off the driveway and next to the road. We screened it with switchgrass and made a bedding area of switch next to it as well, along with some giant miscanthus. We are getting solid daytime activity in the plot, my plan is make great hunting around the house so as dad get older he can hunt right off the yard.

Before:

After:

BigHunt

Re: Front yard plot

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:08 pm

nice....can you see it from the p@@per in the house if you can then you have all you need to hunt... just poke a hole in the screen and a way you go :lol: :lol: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Mike wrote:...my plan is make great hunting around the house so as dad get older he can hunt right off the yard...

Great idea. I'm sure that the older he gets the more he will appreciate it too.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Looks great. Like the switch blade grass idea.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Stanley wrote:Looks great. Like the switch blade grass idea.

Hard to tell in the pics but the switch grass is about 6.5 feet tall and thick! I am curious to see how the deer like it, we have been putting in a decent amount around the property and this year its thick enough to hold them I think. The miscanthus is about 9 feet tall! That stuff makes a great screen.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:15 pm

Mike wrote:
Stanley wrote:Looks great. Like the switch blade grass idea.

Hard to tell in the pics but the switch grass is about 6.5 feet tall and thick! I am curious to see how the deer like it, we have been putting in a decent amount around the property and this year its thick enough to hold them I think. The miscanthus is about 9 feet tall! That stuff makes a great screen.

mike have you seen any deer useing it yet .... do you have any cameras on it :?:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:22 pm

No not the stuff in the front yard, but other places I have seen tracks in and around the switch. I think as the leaves come down they will use it more. Also as bucks disperse I hope they will find solitude in some of the other patches I have around the property. Really its so close to the house I don't know if this patch will have a lot of activity but I know it will be used for fawning next spring for sure, which is cool with me.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Mike wrote:No not the stuff in the front yard, but other places I have seen tracks in and around the switch. I think as the leaves come down they will use it more. Also as bucks disperse I hope they will find solitude in some of the other patches I have around the property. Really its so close to the house I don't know if this patch will have a lot of activity but I know it will be used for fawning next spring for sure, which is cool with me.

thats cool good luck with it.... tell the ol man we wish him luck 8-) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:06 pm

Nice tactic...
Nice place too, it look very close then what you can find in Belgium. Where are you located Mike?
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:49 pm

Great Idea and the plots look really good. hmmmm, so that stuff around the border is switch grass? Does it have a seed head that looks like this?

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:13 am

Cool... 8-)
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:42 am

Liberty-Hunt wrote:Nice tactic...
Nice place too, it look very close then what you can find in Belgium. Where are you located Mike?

Thanks, the farm is in western wisconsin.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:50 am

kenn1320 wrote:Great Idea and the plots look really good. hmmmm, so that stuff around the border is switch grass? Does it have a seed head that looks like this?

The tall green stuff is miscanthus, the fuzzier looking stuff is the switch. It does look like your pic, but yours may be different because I don't think the lateral seed branches come up from a single point on the stem, but are evenly distributed all the way up the central leader. (if that makes sense, not sure of the terminology)

THe 5th pic shows the seedheads the best above
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:05 am

BigHunt wrote:
Mike wrote:No not the stuff in the front yard, but other places I have seen tracks in and around the switch. I think as the leaves come down they will use it more. Also as bucks disperse I hope they will find solitude in some of the other patches I have around the property. Really its so close to the house I don't know if this patch will have a lot of activity but I know it will be used for fawning next spring for sure, which is cool with me.

thats cool good luck with it.... tell the ol man we wish him luck 8-) 8-)

X2

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”