WI bow hunters can now hunt through gun seasons.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

WI bow hunters can now hunt through gun seasons.

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:19 am

Subject: Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources White-Tailed Deer Update

New Rules for the 2011 Hunting Season
You are subscribed to White-Tailed Deer for Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
Earlier this year, the Natural Resources Board approved several new rules pertaining to the current license year hunting seasons. These rules were not immediately in place because they needed to undergo a legislative review process. This process is now complete for these rules, and they will be in effect starting this fall. These changes are not reflected in the printed version of the hunting regulations, but will be updated in the online versions of the regulation booklets in the near future.
These new rules are:

1. Rifles will be allowed in Waupaca County for the 9-day firearm deer season.
2. The fall turkey hunting season will be extended for turkey zones 1-5. Turkey hunting will be allowed from November 28 – December 31. This late season has occurred for the past two years during a trial period, but is now a permanent season that will occur annually.
3. The archery deer season will now be open concurrently with the 9-day firearm deer season. In 2011, the early archery season will run from September 17 – November 17 and the late archery season will run from November 19 – January 8, 2012. Bow hunters will be required to comply with the blaze orange clothing requirement any time a firearm deer season is occurring in the area of the state where they are hunting.
4. Each period of the spring turkey season will be extended by two days. The dates for each period during the 2012 season are as follows:
1. Period A April 11-17
2. Period B April 18-24
3. Period C April 25- May 1
4. Period D May 2-8
5. Period E May 9-15
6. Period F May 16-22

KLEMZ

Re: WI bow hunters can now hunt through gun seasons.

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:41 am

I'm gonna be bowhunting the CWD zone this year. It sure would extend my hunting opportunities if I bowhunted during the MANY gun hunts. But it seems like there could be lots of problems....

-I'm imagining guys watching me walk through the more open areas of the marsh using their rifle scopes
- It seems like you could be broadcasting you bowhunting locations while wearing the orange
-I would think there would be alot more hunters in the field than what I'm used to while bowhunting

does anyone have any experience bowhunting during gun season? Is it worth it?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:09 am

DB... are you sure about the spring turkey seson, if so thats AWSOME H$LL YA....i cant wait... to hunt to more days is sweet

can we get
more details on this

thanks tyler
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:18 am

I have bowhunted through the gun season here in MN, and had plenty of opportunities. I dont go to my best spots or anything, so advertising my spots really isnt any concern to me. The only difference is Im just at a handicap compared to the gun hunters.

I am really happy to hear they changed the law. I like bowhunting wisconsin, but havent in the past because I always had to buy a gun tag to hunt with my family during gun season, and after spending that money, I didnt wanna spend another $160 to bow hunt there...but now I can just buy an archery tag and bow hunt while my family gun hunts..
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:55 am

BigHunt wrote:DB... are you sure about the spring turkey seson, if so thats AWSOME H$LL YA....i cant wait... to hunt to more days is sweet

can we get
more details on this

thanks tyler

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I got all of that in an email, so I copied & pasted to here, so I'm not sure if its on the WDNR website or not, I haven't checked that yet..
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:46 am

cornfedkiller wrote: I didnt wanna spend another $160 to bow hunt there...but now I can just buy an archery tag and bow hunt while my family gun hunts

Thats cool!

cornfedkiller wrote:I have bowhunted through the gun season here in MN, and had plenty of opportunities. I dont go to my best spots or anything, so advertising my spots really isnt any concern to me. The only difference is Im just at a handicap compared to the gun hunters

You're right, I have many secondary spots I could hunt during the gun seasons. Or I could hunt a good buck bed if it is buried in thick cover, one that may not even be used until the gun pressure starts. No broadcasting of my spot because it is too thick to see. I'm pumped up to give it a go. Of course now I have to buy orange clothes. :roll:
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Looks like it's all true, and the way I read it, turkeys will be registered over the phone or online........

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/DNRNews_Lookup.asp?id=291#art1
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:33 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:Looks like it's all true, and the way I read it, turkeys will be registered over the phone or online........

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/DNRNews_Lookup.asp?id=291#art1

this is awsome an extra two days of spring gobbler season ....sometimes i need those extra two days like this year :evil: :evil: :evil: o well life goes on ....bring on next spring im all ready to rock a gobblers jellyhead 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks for posting that info DB! 8-)
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:05 am

thanks for the info, good post!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:11 am

Yep good post.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”