scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

scrapes

Unread postby tim » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:50 am

just seen my first scrape of the year, my buddy has an apple tree in his yard and the deer opened a scrape underneath it in the past week. funny thing is i had a camera pointed on that tree till monday cause the apples are done and thought id take it off :roll: figures.

tim
500 Club

Re: scrapes

Unread postby tim » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:54 am

speaking of crappy timing 2 years ago i had a camera on a scrape on my property in vernon county and i decided to take it out of there as to not scare the deer any more and after i took it id say about a 150" 9 pointer was killed in the scrape i believe by fighting, it was laying dead in the scrape. if only id have left my camera there :? . there was nothing on this deers body to show he died any other way and i was getting good pics of him till then and he had a big body and seemed otherwise healthy.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:55 am

Never too late to put your camera back up. :D Apple tree's are great scrape locations. They concentrate deer and have branches at the desirable height. You had your camera out prior to the scrape showing up, did you get any buck pics?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:04 am

there was at least 7 different bucks showing up maybe 8 , hard to tell in a few pics of certain bucks. only 1 is of interest for that certain area just not sure yet if id be willing to burn my tag if he shows up early season id have to see him in hard horn fully developed.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:08 am

The deer are busting up the apple trees in my yard right now, knocking down apples and branches. I watch them when i get up, they put on a pretty good show. Good news about the scrape, sorry you missed him with the cam.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:52 am

kenn1320 wrote:Never too late to put your camera back up. :D Apple tree's are great scrape locations. They concentrate deer and have branches at the desirable height. You had your camera out prior to the scrape showing up, did you get any buck pics?

Agreed.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:12 pm

scrapes and rubs popping up here in WNY
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:54 pm

A couple scares In my neck of the woods as well. Also saw a very nice rub. He kicked the crap out of the some very small sapplings with In a couple feet of the bigger tree he was rubbing. Velvet Is coming off now! I also saw a 1.5 year old buck without velvet while putting out some mock scrapes with camera's on them.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:15 pm

From my experience and "training" the first rubs of the year are the most dominant mature buck in the area....and for me they are usually on dogwood clumps....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:41 am

gjs4 wrote:From my experience and "training" the first rubs of the year are the most dominant mature buck in the area....and for me they are usually on dogwood clumps....

Deer seem to like the willows here (soft and put up a nice fight).
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:51 am

I love those first early rubs!!! 8-) Can lead you to a real good buck right out of the gate!! ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:02 am

Stanley wrote:
gjs4 wrote:From my experience and "training" the first rubs of the year are the most dominant mature buck in the area....and for me they are usually on dogwood clumps....

Deer seem to like the willows here (soft and put up a nice fight).

it seems that if there is a big hards with one lone pine right in the middle of it is tore up .......does any one know why bucks like rubbing on pine trees :?:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:42 am

..does any one know why bucks like rubbing on pine trees

They like certain trees because of the odor they have when rubbed. I think they like that strong smelling sap that comes out and gets in there antlers and on the forehead..
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:45 am

dan wrote:
..does any one know why bucks like rubbing on pine trees

They like certain trees because of the odor they have when rubbed. I think they like that strong smelling sap that comes out and gets in there antlers and on the forehead..

i assume thats what make these nice dark antlers
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”