Late Scouting Approach

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AR Hunter

Late Scouting Approach

Unread postby AR Hunter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:31 am

My in-laws saw a nice ten behind their house last night feeding in a pasture. I'm generally familiar with the area, but have not scouted it extensively because the area (at least their acreage) does not really "hold" deer. They only seem to pass through at certain times of the year. Our season doesn't start for three more weeks. If the buck is still even around by that time, I would like to get on him. What would the best approach be to figure him out this late in the game without blowing him out of the area?

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Late Scouting Approach

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am

I would start with the intel you have, and a aerial map and topo.

What time was he seen? What were weather conditions, wind, rain?, ect?

Do you know where he came from? What direction maybe?

Those are a few peices to start putting together the hard "puzzle" of a mature buck.

I would not stomp around the woods this close to opening day, glass froma distance... look every night, and maybe you can see a pattern, or know where is coming from and going to.

I know thats not much, but its how I start.
You can't kill em on the couch
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:05 am

I agree with Brandon, don't go in there. Use what you know of the area and see if you can't take a guess at where he might be bedding. Have the in-laws keep an eye out for the buck to try and find any kind of pattern, when they see him note the weather, moon, and wind on that day. Maybe post up some aerials/topos and we might be able to help you out.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:12 am

Brandon gave good solid advice.

I like to use my Matrix 360 to glass an area I just set it out in the open.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:21 am

I would try to glass from afar and ask your relatives to keep an eye out for the buck to see if he is on a pattern. If he's on a pattern, you should be able to figure out where he's coming out from. Sometimes they bed really close to feeding this time of year. Try to determine the closest bedding where he may be and set up on opening day accordingly.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:42 am

Multiple cams may work if you have an open area food source or travel route.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:27 am

headgear wrote:I agree with Brandon, Have the in-laws keep an eye out for the buck to try and find any kind of pattern, when they see him note the weather, moon, and wind on that day. Maybe post up some aerials/topos and we might be able to help you out.

Agreed you can never have enough eyes looking out for big bucks. I have my nephews looking for me, since they live right where a lot of my hunting is.
I ,

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:34 am

headgear wrote:I agree with Brandon, Have the in-laws keep an eye out for the buck to try and find any kind of pattern, when they see him note the weather, moon, and wind on that day. Maybe post up some aerials/topos and we might be able to help you out.

Agreed you can never have enough eyes looking out for big bucks. I have my nephews looking for me, since they live right where a lot of my hunting is.
I ,

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:48 am

My opinion would be to see if he is still there 3 weeks from now. IMOP that would be doubtful. If he is I think a sneak is your best bet. To pull this off you need some help from the weather. Real windy day, rainy day. Something to help put the odds in your favor.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:23 am

I would assume he is bedding nearby. Like others said try to figure that out based on what you already know. You said it was a pasture, are there any farm animals using it now? Like Stanley said he may not be there in three weeks, but you never know. Have you inlaws try to keep an eye on him for you.
AR Hunter

Unread postby AR Hunter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:33 am

Thanks for all the good advice guys-- I really appreciate it. I'll see if I can get an aerial up. My only fear is that their acreage doesn't have his bedding area. It is pretty open (the woods joining the pasture) and from where he was spotted, there are only about a hundred to two hundred yards before I start hitting property lines. And no farm animals are using that pasture right now right now. :|
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:47 am

That would make me take a serious look at what was happening the day the buck was out there, you best bet might be to hold off on actually hunting the area until you get some similar weather or wind patterns. Keeping the pressure down might also help you get on this deer during the rut too if previous hunts don't work out for you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”