moon phases

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: moon phases

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:48 am

Interesting Dan. I'm going to check my trail cam pictures with the moon phases and see what happens. I have nothing to lose. I do agree weather trumps moon phase. I'm trying to figure this out though. If my trail cameras are picking up deer pictures during a certain moon phase then the next guys cameras won't be taking pictures of those deer on the same moon phase so what does that tell the next guy?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:11 am

I don't get what your saying Stan? The next guy is probably getting pic's of different deer?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:22 am

dan wrote:I don't get what your saying Stan? The next guy is probably getting pic's of different deer?

yes i would think so dan.... just becase stan your getting pics of one or two bucks dosent mean the another guy aint... you have to remeber theres other deer in the woods and you may not even be getting all the deer on cam so we cant rule out that the moon dosent affect deer movement.....

im not attacking you stan :| just my opoin ;)
Last edited by BigHunt on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:32 am

Stanley wrote:Interesting Dan. I'm going to check my trail cam pictures with the moon phases and see what happens. I have nothing to lose. I do agree weather trumps moon phase. I'm trying to figure this out though. If my trail cameras are picking up deer pictures during a certain moon phase then the next guys cameras won't be taking pictures of those deer on the same moon phase so what does that tell the next guy?

If he's going by the moon phase, like most people, he'll think it's just a crock of bull. But apparently he's in the wrong spot....... at that particular time. Just because the moon phase is right, doesn't mean you're going to get pics of all the bucks. You still have to be where you need to be.

At least I think that's what you asked.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:10 am

What I'm trying to say is the deer are somewhere at all times. Because I have them on camera, on a certain moon phase means they are not somewhere else. If I have 5 cameras out they will be on one not all five. That is what I'm eluding to. If I have a pile of corn out in front of a camera the corn would supersede the moon phase. The corn is real, the moon phase effect is non tangible. Thus we could say the corn caused the deer to be in front of the camera not the moon phase.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:25 am

Stanley wrote:What I'm trying to say is the deer are somewhere at all times. Because I have them on camera, on a certain moon phase means they are not somewhere else. If I have 5 cameras out they will be on one not all five. That is what I'm eluding to. If I have a pile of corn out in front of a camera the corn would supersede the moon phase. The corn is real, the moon phase effect is non tangible. Thus we could say the corn caused the deer to be in front of the camera not the moon phase.

why not all five..... how far are they spread out ...stan i the moon is real too it has an effects on ALL living things....... even the oceans tides(not living)so to say its not real is out of the ball park ...like dan ive seen way to much activity during hot moon phases to dissmiss that possilblity......agin i not attacking stan just trying to shed light on the subject for you...and yes i can also see how corn a strong food sorce wil also show deer out early but here in wisconsin thats not possible until the opener
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:43 am

I have a fair buck on camera on the 8th of Sept at 6:56 AM headed for bed. Just curious what the moon phase says for that day? I don't have a chart to look it up.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:51 am

BigHunt wrote:
Stanley wrote:What I'm trying to say is the deer are somewhere at all times. Because I have them on camera, on a certain moon phase means they are not somewhere else. If I have 5 cameras out they will be on one not all five. That is what I'm eluding to. If I have a pile of corn out in front of a camera the corn would supersede the moon phase. The corn is real, the moon phase effect is non tangible. Thus we could say the corn caused the deer to be in front of the camera not the moon phase.

why not all five..... how far are they spread out ...stan i the moon is real too it has an effects on ALL living things....... even the oceans tides(not living)so to say its not real is out of the ball park ...like dan ive seen way to much activity during hot moon phases to dissmiss that possilblity......agin i not attacking stan just trying to shed light on the subject for you...and yes i can also see how corn a strong food sorce wil also show deer out early but here in wisconsin thats not possible until the opener

Hey it's just constructive conversation. Some people swear Bigfoot exists and will argue about that. I have personal friends that believe it.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:54 am

Stanley wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

Hey it's just constructive conversation. Some people swear Bigfoot exists and will argue about that. I have personal friends that believe it.

constructive conversation is well said stan .....i think its the best way to learn new things what tat bigfoot is real........what do you think about that
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:11 am

why not all five..... how far are they spread out ...stan i the moon is real too it has an effects on ALL living things....... even the oceans tides(not living)so to say its not real is out of the ball park ...like dan ive seen way to much activity during hot moon phases to dissmiss that possilblity......agin i not attacking stan just trying to shed light on the subject for you...and yes i can also see how corn a strong food sorce wil also show deer out early but here in wisconsin thats not possible until the opener[/quote]

Hey it's just constructive conversation. Some people swear Bigfoot exists and will argue about that. I have personal friends that believe it.[/quote]

constructive conversation is well said stan .....i think its the best way to learn new things what tat bigfoot is real........what do you think about that[/quote]
I have a feeling you will have a harder time yet proving that to me. ;) :lol: :lol:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:17 am

Stanley wrote:why not all five..... how far are they spread out ...stan i the moon is real too it has an effects on ALL living things....... even the oceans tides(not living)so to say its not real is out of the ball park ...like dan ive seen way to much activity during hot moon phases to dissmiss that possilblity......agin i not attacking stan just trying to shed light on the subject for you...and yes i can also see how corn a strong food sorce wil also show deer out early but here in wisconsin thats not possible until the opener

Hey it's just constructive conversation. Some people swear Bigfoot exists and will argue about that. I have personal friends that believe it.[/quote]

constructive conversation is well said stan .....i think its the best way to learn new things what tat bigfoot is real........what do you think about that[/quote]
I have a feeling you will have a harder time yet proving that to me. ;) :lol: :lol:[/quote]

i have my opions too about it :? :roll: :P :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but hey lets get back to deer hunting
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:18 am

Stanley wrote:I have a fair buck on camera on the 8th of Sept at 6:56 AM headed for bed. Just curious what the moon phase says for that day? I don't have a chart to look it up.

September 8th was not a "good" moon day... The moon was under foot at 10:18 AM
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:20 am

dan wrote:
Stanley wrote:I have a fair buck on camera on the 8th of Sept at 6:56 AM headed for bed. Just curious what the moon phase says for that day? I don't have a chart to look it up.

how are we going to explain this one dan :? :?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:24 am

Deer, especially mature bucks are generally bedded in day light... The day you have the buck eating the corn in front of your camera in daylight is likely the day you have good moon position. The day he comes in at night is probably bad moon... Some of the cameras I tested this on had corn in front of them too, and some were on food plots...

Numbers of photo's changed, but not a lot. The real change was what days, and especially mornings we had day time pics. You can't shoot them at night, so if a certain moon position brings them out further earlier, or gets them to bed later, it is certainly worth noting.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 am

BigHunt wrote:
dan wrote:

how are we going to explain this one dan :? :?

We can not predict what they will always do... I go by what they do most the time.
I will say though that 2 days earlier his time would of been right on, and the day before would not of been off by much.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”