hunting journal

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

hunting journal

Unread postby Brad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:25 pm

I have decided that 2011 is the year that my hunting becomes more productive. I am going to hunt hard every time out and want to make the most of each trip. I have enjoyed success in the past with a bow but its sporadic. I was thinking how a hunting journal could be a good idea to start keeping so I can notice trends that I might otherwise overlook. I want to record the date, time, animal sightings, approximate time of animal sightings, how many etc. prevailing wind direction, thermal activiity, terrain wind direction (based on the milkweed), moon phase, temperature, and the mood of the deer, and why I hunted where i did. Is there anything I am missing? Anyone else keep detailed notes?

Dewey

Re: hunting journal

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:32 pm

I actually started a thread on this awhile back about scouting but could apply to hunting as well. Check it out...... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4063&hilit=scouting+journal
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks for posting a link to that thread Dewey..that was a great thread with a lot of good information!

I bookmarked it this time 8-)
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Just thought I should also include gps coordinates and weather i hunted on the ground or in the air. Im loving the link, lots of good info there!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:06 pm

Good stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:48 pm

I don't, but I should. Here is a good one you can download off of Google Docs......

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... N2Vl&hl=en
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:34 am

In my area there are sporadic farm fields that get planted differently every year. I make notes of what is planted in each field. It makes a difference some years on where the deer are bedding. I can look back through my journal and have an idea of where the deer will be based on how the crops are planted.

I also like to make general notes about the season, such as overall temperature, acorn crop, overall weather conditions, soft mast, etc.

What I am really looking for with my journal is a pattern or recurring theme that I can then exploit. Plus it's fun to read back through it this time of year and get PUMPED!!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:25 am

xpauliber wrote:In my area there are sporadic farm fields that get planted differently every year. I make notes of what is planted in each field. It makes a difference some years on where the deer are bedding. I can look back through my journal and have an idea of where the deer will be based on how the crops are planted.

I also like to make general notes about the season, such as overall temperature, acorn crop, overall weather conditions, soft mast, etc.

What I am really looking for with my journal is a pattern or recurring theme that I can then exploit. Plus it's fun to read back through it this time of year and get PUMPED!!

Good advice, what the deer are eating and suspected bedding areas. Keep em coming guys!
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Have an iPhone app, aptly called Huntjournal, that does all of this....may scrap the tried/true hunters log book
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”