If you botch a buck on a bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

If you botch a buck on a bed?

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:53 pm

Let's say you booger a buck on bed you knew he was using. In theory that bed should be good for later on same year or next year? Thoughts?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: If you botch a buck on a bed?

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Stanley wrote:Let's say you booger a buck on bed you knew he was using. In theory that bed should be good for later on same year or next year? Thoughts?

I would agree with your theory. Once enough time passes that the buck isnt worried about it anymore, your scent is long enough gone that another buck comes along and deems it as safe, depending on how bad you "botch" the buck that was there, the bed could be good to go again later that season, but I would say the amount of time varies. Someone who knows more about it and has more experience than myself will hopefully be able to give a better reply.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:48 pm

I f it was a truly mature deer I have not had much sucesss on the same deer in the future if I make a mistake unless the deer makes it to the next season. I am sure others here have been successful with this but it just never seems to work out for me. I hunt very pressured public and the mature bucks do not tolerate much and relocate very easily.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Dewey wrote:I f it was a truly mature deer I have not had much sucesss on the same deer in the future if I make a mistake unless the deer makes it to the next season. I am sure others here have been successful with this but it just never seems to work out for me. I hunt very pressured public and the mature bucks do not tolerate much and relocate very easily.

Interesting.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:14 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
Stanley wrote:Let's say you booger a buck on bed you knew he was using. In theory that bed should be good for later on same year or next year? Thoughts?

I would agree with your theory. Once enough time passes that the buck isnt worried about it anymore, your scent is long enough gone that another buck comes along and deems it as safe, depending on how bad you "botch" the buck that was there, the bed could be good to go again later that season, but I would say the amount of time varies. Someone who knows more about it and has more experience than myself will hopefully be able to give a better reply.

Kind of what I was thinking.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:10 pm

well that also depends on the situation...... ive never done it...... if i were to bump a buck off his bed i would set up your stand right there and then and try to hunt them that next mourning ....but im perty sure that the moon phase has to be correct for this tactic or its useless
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:02 am

BigHunt wrote:well that also depends on the situation...... ive never done it...... if i were to bump a buck off his bed i would set up your stand right there and then and try to hunt them that next mourning ....but im perty sure that the moon phase has to be correct for this tactic or its useless

Yep..Joe (PredatorTC) killed a nice buck using this exact tactic last fall..
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:21 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
BigHunt wrote:well that also depends on the situation...... ive never done it...... if i were to bump a buck off his bed i would set up your stand right there and then and try to hunt them that next mourning ....but im perty sure that the moon phase has to be correct for this tactic or its useless

Yep..Joe (PredatorTC) killed a nice buck using this exact tactic last fall..

I was just going to bring this tactic up, but you guys beat me to it.....

The old " bump and dump " has worked great for Andrea, but yes, I think he relies on the right moon pattern, or correct weather for that next morning.... But still, you have to ask yourself, why do these bucks feel comfortable coming back to their bed the very next morning, when they were clearly bumped off of their bed by a human being ? I mean, here we are talking about only hunting a certain buck maybe once a year because we get our scent in their bedroom, and Andrae goe out there and is banking on that buck coming back the very next morning..... Seems remarkable in a way, that the buck would come back feeling safe.....
But...... like Andrae points out in Dan's videos, " That deer feels like his bed works, he got away, so it's the perfect getaway bed, so he will use it again, because it works ".
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:29 am

I think the "bump and dump" technique is extremely risky and only works in certain areas, with certain bucks under certain conditions. I wouldn't intentionally bump a deer off his bed in my area. I've tried it, multiple times, and they never came back. In Andrea's case where dogs or something else scared the buck off his bed, I would set up and try hunting it again the next morning.

If it was me that bumped him off the bed by accident, I would probably not hunt it again that year. Instead, I would check out how he was using it, log my observations and hunt accordingly the following year.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:38 am

I think it depends on the type of bump as well. I 've always wondered if the buck is aware of your approach and escapes, didn't that bed work for that buck? i.e. he survived, which was his goal. Now that it worked for him once won't his instincts tell him to bed there again? Now I'm sure that continously bumping a buck will drive him away, but one bump, i'm not sure. In the farmlands I hunt, they are bound to be bumped a few times throughout the entire year, just becasue there is activity, be it looging, farming, hiking, other hunters like duck pheasant, rabbit, squirrel ,coon, and coyote, some of which use dogs. So I think a buck learns to adapt to these pressures and learns how to survive. We as hunters need to use thier instincts against them.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:48 am

Stan... we had success

Haus86 and I were able to put his Dad (who drew an Iowa tag) on a buck I bumped from an unusual bed after a morning hunt in mid October 2010. I recall walking down one ridge to a valley and looking up the other ridge and spotting a 140 class 11 pointer bedding in a pretty open area in front of a small rock cliff. The buck didn't know what I was, so I just stood there until he trotted away slightly alarmed. He was to far away to shoot at ~70 yards

At this point, I recalled watching Dan and Andre talk about bumping and dumping bucks, but have never used the technique. So I called Haus86 and we scouted the area to determine stand location. Once we located the climbing stand location, they set up to kill the buck one day later with the same wind pattern. To be honest we didn't know if it would work... but time was running short to get his dad on a buck... and to get the rest of the story you can read last season post by Haus86 at the link below.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3015&hilit=bump+and+dump+success

We have scouted this area in the spring and early summer and never saw a bed... I believe the early corn harvest (the area was surrounded by 3 large corn fields) displaced this buck earlier than normal. With the success of that hunt we scouted some local public areas to locate buck beds and I was able (to miss) a large eight pointer coming back to bed around the 26th of October. (the shot still haunts me to this day).

So with the success of last year, we have a few places on public I am going to use when the time is right to sneak in early and see what happens. The technique is making my hunting season more exciting, but I still have some stand locations between beds and food for more traditional hunts, which also works well.

Buck photo:
go DEEP or go HOME
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:55 am

Dewey wrote:I f it was a truly mature deer I have not had much sucesss on the same deer in the future if I make a mistake unless the deer makes it to the next season. I am sure others here have been successful with this but it just never seems to work out for me. I hunt very pressured public and the mature bucks do not tolerate much and relocate very easily.

I think you are probably right on with you assessmet of public land, or even remote wilderness areas where the deer rarely even see a human. They could come back but the pressure might have been too much for them, we can hope after enough time another buck could move in and take over that spot. One thing is for sure, it's nice to have a lot of these bedding areas in your because chances are you will mess up a lot more than you will tag out.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:57 am

lynchpin wrote:Stan... we had success

Haus86 and I were able to put his Dad (who drew an Iowa tag) on a buck I bumped from an unusual bed after a morning hunt in mid October 2010. I recall walking down one ridge to a valley and looking up the other ridge and spotting a 140 class 11 pointer bedding in a pretty open area in front of a small rock cliff. The buck didn't know what I was, so I just stood there until he trotted away slightly alarmed. He was to far away to shoot at ~70 yards

At this point, I recalled watching Dan and Andre talk about bumping and dumping bucks, but have never used the technique. So I called Haus86 and we scouted the area to determine stand location. Once we located the climbing stand location, they set up to kill the buck one day later with the same wind pattern. To be honest we didn't know if it would work... but time was running short to get his dad on a buck... and to get the rest of the story you can read last season post by Haus86 at the link below.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3015&hilit=bump+and+dump+success

We have scouted this area in the spring and early summer and never saw a bed... I believe the early corn harvest (the area was surrounded by 3 large corn fields) displaced this buck earlier than normal. With the success of that hunt we scouted some local public areas to locate buck beds and I was able (to miss) a large eight pointer coming back to bed around the 26th of October. (the shot still haunts me to this day).

So with the success of last year, we have a few places on public I am going to use when the time is right to sneak in early and see what happens. The technique is making my hunting season more exciting, but I still have some stand locations between beds and food for more traditional hunts, which also works well.

Buck photo:

Great tactic on getting that buck. Love it when a plan comes through. Good job and good luck on that tactic in the future. Missing an opportunity is just bowhunting. I also believe a missed opportunity adds to your resume, you just don't get to hang him on the wall.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 am

Stanley wrote:
lynchpin wrote:Stan... we had success

Buck photo:

Great tactic on getting that buck. Love it when a plan comes through. Good job and good luck on that tactic in the future. Missing an opportunity is just bowhunting. I also believe a missed opportunity adds to your resume, you just don't get to hang him on the wall.

I agree... that was my first shot ever (with a bow) at a buck...It happened so fast, I forgot to think :o Lesson learned
go DEEP or go HOME

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”