Magicman54494

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Magicman54494

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:45 am

I wanted to do this one before, but there's no time like the present. I'm really interested in Magics techniques. Especially the snow tracking. That's something I do to, but not on a trophy buck level. I'm sure others would like to know how the Magic happens. :mrgreen:

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: Magicman54494

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:54 am

Would love to hear this as well!

Speaking of Magic, I was just thinking the other day..where the heck is he? Havent seen or heard from him in a while now..
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:01 am

If Im not mistaken there is a thread discussing his tatics. BTT either way.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:04 am

Yeah....Where the heck are you Todd? Not the same place without you.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:15 am

Indianahunter wrote:Yeah....Where the heck are you Todd? Not the same place without you.

I was wondering the same thing, haven't seen him on here in a long while.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:18 am

Talked with him very briefly today.....he is still in MN with no interenet and poor cell reception.

Could be weeks before he decides to come out of the big MN northwoods.....you all know magic. 8-) :lol:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:46 am

i also have a question for him on cabin repaire
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:06 pm

ttt
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:18 am

Wanted to bump this thread, don't think Magicman saw it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:38 am

The Magic show would be good.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:45 am

I'm curious about Magics tactics also! Just keep the thread active til he gets back from the bush!! LOL!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:43 am

Spysar wrote:I wanted to do this one before, but there's no time like the present. I'm really interested in Magics techniques. Especially the snow tracking. That's something I do to, but not on a trophy buck level. I'm sure others would like to know how the Magic happens. :mrgreen:

Well there ain't really much magic, sorry.
I got interested in tracking and did a bunch of research and there isn't much info out there. The Benoits and Hal blood have published some stuff. There is another family out east - I dont know the spelling - Berniers? they published a book but it's out of print and the used ones are out of my price range.
I read the books and watched the DVD's until I almost memorized them. I got out on the snow and started following tracks. I was frustrated at first but decided that no one gets good at anything until they work hard and practice harder. I had success my first year and early success does flame the fire! The books and DVD's help to get you started but you really won't learn much until you hit the snow.
Some pointers from a rookies' point of view.
1. You are going to lose your track often. You need to get good at staying with your track before you will have any success. This requires a lot of practice so just keep trying and eventually you get better. Start out on fresh snow because there are less trackes to mess you up.
2. The books will tell you tendancies like when they feed they will bed. This might be true but don't count on it. I followed one this year that fed for 2 1/2 miles.
3. You can't shoot the deer if your looking down at the track. You have to learn to spend very little time looking down or you will miss your chance.
4. Scan left and right constantly. It's easy to just look in the direction the deer is traveling but they turn a lot and often hook off to the side to bed. If your only looking forward you will miss out.
5. your first encounter will be your best chance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. no matter how many times you fail you have to believe that it works. It does if you don't give up.
7. You will most likely be taking running shots so practice at getting on target and one thing I like to do is pull on birds and animals and just try to stay on them. I don't shoot them but just swinging with them is great practice at getting on moving targets.
8. The deer tell you a lot when you follow them. I enjoy just reading what the tracks tell me as much as getting a deer. Things you will learn are where they travel, what they eat, where they bed, and much more! I've learned more about big buck behavior in a few seasons of tracking then in all my other years combined. That alone is worth the effort.
9. Sitting in a stand all day is boring as heck. LOL

I had a good year and probably only put on 30 miles. I think there is luck involved and I also think that I'm getting better. The year before I know I walked 100 miles. Snow conditions make a huge difference as well. Crunchy snow is tough!

The one area I'm working on is how to approach tracking once I have made contact. The Benoits believe in pushing them until they give you a chance. Hal Blood says to wait an hour then start in again. I'm playing with both techniques with limited success.

I have 4 years under my belt and I see improvement but I know I have a lot to learn. I've done well though and it by far my best technique for taking deer. I have killed 4 bucks that ranged in age from 2-6 years old (estimate). I have also missed 2 deer and I let 2 walk and swung on another without pulling the trigger. This is in areas where most guys are just happy to see deer.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:37 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Spysar wrote:I wanted to do this one before, but there's no time like the present. I'm really interested in Magics techniques. Especially the snow tracking. That's something I do to, but not on a trophy buck level. I'm sure others would like to know how the Magic happens. :mrgreen:

Well there ain't really much magic, sorry.
I got interested in tracking and did a bunch of research and there isn't much info out there. The Benoits and Hal blood have published some stuff. There is another family out east - I dont know the spelling - Berniers? they published a book but it's out of print and the used ones are out of my price range.
I read the books and watched the DVD's until I almost memorized them. I got out on the snow and started following tracks. I was frustrated at first but decided that no one gets good at anything until they work hard and practice harder. I had success my first year and early success does flame the fire! The books and DVD's help to get you started but you really won't learn much until you hit the snow.
Some pointers from a rookies' point of view.
1. You are going to lose your track often. You need to get good at staying with your track before you will have any success. This requires a lot of practice so just keep trying and eventually you get better. Start out on fresh snow because there are less trackes to mess you up.
2. The books will tell you tendancies like when they feed they will bed. This might be true but don't count on it. I followed one this year that fed for 2 1/2 miles.
3. You can't shoot the deer if your looking down at the track. You have to learn to spend very little time looking down or you will miss your chance.
4. Scan left and right constantly. It's easy to just look in the direction the deer is traveling but they turn a lot and often hook off to the side to bed. If your only looking forward you will miss out.
5. your first encounter will be your best chance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. no matter how many times you fail you have to believe that it works. It does if you don't give up.
7. You will most likely be taking running shots so practice at getting on target and one thing I like to do is pull on birds and animals and just try to stay on them. I don't shoot them but just swinging with them is great practice at getting on moving targets.
8. The deer tell you a lot when you follow them. I enjoy just reading what the tracks tell me as much as getting a deer. Things you will learn are where they travel, what they eat, where they bed, and much more! I've learned more about big buck behavior in a few seasons of tracking then in all my other years combined. That alone is worth the effort.
9. Sitting in a stand all day is boring as heck. LOL

I had a good year and probably only put on 30 miles. I think there is luck involved and I also think that I'm getting better. The year before I know I walked 100 miles. Snow conditions make a huge difference as well. Crunchy snow is tough!

The one area I'm working on is how to approach tracking once I have made contact. The Benoits believe in pushing them until they give you a chance. Hal Blood says to wait an hour then start in again. I'm playing with both techniques with limited success.

I have 4 years under my belt and I see improvement but I know I have a lot to learn. I've done well though and it by far my best technique for taking deer. I have killed 4 bucks that ranged in age from 2-6 years old (estimate). I have also missed 2 deer and I let 2 walk and swung on another without pulling the trigger. This is in areas where most guys are just happy to see deer.

Great tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to share.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:50 am

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 am

Good Stuff!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”