How many times do you hunt ONE bed ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

How many times do you hunt ONE bed ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:13 am

Let's say you have a buck targeted, and you have a real good idea where he beds. How many times can you hunt that bed ? Let's say he doesn't show up the first time you set up on him, do you wait a week and try again, or stay away longer ?

Brandon
500 Club

Re: How many times do you hunt ONE bed ?

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:19 am

the few beds I have I plan to hunt the most promising set 1st, then move to where I havent walked or distured to cover an alternate exit route if he doesnt show.

If I hunt the bed 2 evenings, 2 days in a row, at 2 different sets in 2 different trees and I dont see anything I will prob move on to another area\bed, and possibly come back in a month or more if I have any info that a buck is using that bed.
You can't kill em on the couch
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:57 am

Most of my beds are hunted once a year, I try to get to my best beds twice but the wind doesn't alwasy cooperate with me. Some beds I just don't get to hunt because the my free time and the wind don't line up for the setup.

I do feel I need to have better early season hunting locations, I have a couple spots that should be good for early season and later in the fall but most of my spots are only good once the leaves are down and the pressure is up.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:03 am

Kind of depends where I'm hunting but in the past I like to hang my stand and hunt the afternoon then come back and hunt it one more time in the morning.

I see in the past there was a lot of error in this process mainly because I didn't think things through enough. I will do the same this yr but only with the right wind forecasted for the following morning. I also think this yr I may sneak in and set up to hunt and if it doesn't pan out or I see the deer get up and go the other way Iwill move my stand closer in the dark and return in the morning...if I don't see anything at all I won't come back.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:25 am

If you scout correctly and have the right position for your stand generally if he is bedded there you get your shot 1st sit... If he don't show, he is not bedding there at that time. I give it a 30 day or more rest. Most spots I only hunt once a year. If I see the buck but don't get a shot, I hunt it again the next day. Hunting a bedding / true staging area more than 3 times in a season is reall pushing it and asking for it to dry up.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:09 am

twice is the most I hunted a bed, I might hunt it more if i have probable cause...I also let it set for at least 3 weeks
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:17 am

I have a couple of spots that as long as I do everything perfect...quiet, wind, the entrance to them I am convinced will allow me to get in there as often as I want all things being perfect.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:46 am

Indianahunter wrote:I have a couple of spots that as long as I do everything perfect...quiet, wind, the entrance to them I am convinced will allow me to get in there as often as I want all things being perfect.

Indiana are there any special cirsumstances for these spots? I don't want to doubt you but if you are hunting one spot over and over I just feel like the buck will eventually figure it out, most likely crossing your entrance and exit routes at night. Unless of course you can access by boat or have some other way to cover your tracks.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:42 am

Indianahunter wrote:I have a couple of spots that as long as I do everything perfect...quiet, wind, the entrance to them I am convinced will allow me to get in there as often as I want all things being perfect.

You dont thnk the remaining ground scent will spoke the deer coming after youve left?
You can't kill em on the couch
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:31 am

headgear wrote:

Indiana are there any special cirsumstances for these spots? I don't want to doubt you but if you are hunting one spot over and over I just feel like the buck will eventually figure it out, most likely crossing your entrance and exit routes at night. Unless of course you can access by boat or have some other way to cover your tracks.

I have one spot that I can access from the road at a culvert and I can walk in about 1/4 mile through the 3 inch deep flat limestone bed stream super quiet, no scent, in the dark well before he gets there. The tree I have preped is out of site around a bend from his bedding area. I LOVE THIS SPOT!

The other is located near a stream that I can walk in as well, completely undetected and far enough aways from the bed.

Now I think I could, but that doesn't mean I will.....I would hate to kill these spots, but I think I can get a few good hunts in anyway.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:41 am

1 time sometime you get lucky and get two but thats rear ...once to get your scent in there and the deer smells it its all over for a while
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Dan, if the buck does not show, how do you know that it did not just get up and walk the other way without you being able to see him?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:41 am

Indianahunter wrote:
I have one spot that I can access from the road at a culvert and I can walk in about 1/4 mile through the 3 inch deep flat limestone bed stream super quiet, no scent, in the dark well before he gets there. The tree I have preped is out of site around a bend from his bedding area. I LOVE THIS SPOT!

The other is located near a stream that I can walk in as well, completely undetected and far enough aways from the bed.

Now I think I could, but that doesn't mean I will.....I would hate to kill these spots, but I think I can get a few good hunts in anyway.

Cool setup, I figured water might be involved.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:00 am

Indianahunter wrote:
headgear wrote:

Love that approach.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:07 am

I usually hunt scouted buck beds only 1 time per season. Some I had on the list to hunt twice but never did, sometimes due to wind conditions or time constraints. I have a pretty good pile of beds to hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”