marsh/swamp bedding?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swamp-assassin
500 Club

marsh/swamp bedding?

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:33 pm

In a marsh, when you walk along the transition line, do bucks tend to bed on the cattail side of the line or in the timber side?

"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
headgear
500 Club

Re: marsh/swamp bedding?

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:49 am

swamp-assassin wrote:In a marsh, when you walk along the transition line, do bucks tend to bed on the cattail side of the line or in the timber side?

For most of my spots they bed on the cattail side or on one little hump or next to a lone tree/pile of brush out in the cattails.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:07 am

headgear wrote:
swamp-assassin wrote:In a marsh, when you walk along the transition line, do bucks tend to bed on the cattail side of the line or in the timber side?

For most of my spots they bed on the cattail side or on one little hump or next to a lone tree/pile of brush out in the cattails.

X2...I've seen them bed anywhere from 30-300 yards out into the cattails or bog on a little hump under a tree
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:36 am

Mainly in the cattails. But I,ve also seen the bed on the tips of the points that jut out into the cattails.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:10 am

Good information.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:24 am

what if instead of cattails, there was canary grass and alder. the swamp im thinking of has all the same terrain structure as a cattail marsh (islands, points) but instead of cattails, there is just grass and thick brush. would they still be bedding out in the "sea" so to speak?
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:36 am

I hunt some similar stuff swamp-assasin. A lot of it is floating bog with grass/brush mixed in. It can be bed specific so while some of the beds are pretty close to the timber the majority of them are out a little ways. If you run into an ocean of the stuff you are talking about it can be pretty hard to pinpoint because the beds could be anwhere in there. In those cercumstances I try and look for any transitions within the swamp, sometimes it works other times I don't find anything.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:24 am

from what i understand they bed in the cattails just off the trasition line
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”