jclaws

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: jclaws

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:58 pm

So you say you hunt a lot of areas with big rubs, do you normally do that on rut hunts or early season/late season? Reason I ask is I have been reading Greg Millers books and he has some pretty good success over rubs and a lot are big woods [glow=red]public bucks[/glow] early season (pre-rut). I think I am going to start paying a lot more attention to rubs from now on!

Interesting as every show I have watched of him and his boy is all outfitter hunts. I have a friend who does better then average and he says if your not around big rubs your not in the right area. On the other hand I have a friend that knocks down the bruisers out of state and he claims he cant hardly find a rub on the ground he hunts. The first guy hunts all season, the second guy is a rut hunter.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
jclaws
Facebook: Joe n Tracy clawson

Unread postby jclaws » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:07 am

Brad Lamont wrote:So you say you hunt a lot of areas with big rubs, do you normally do that on rut hunts or early season/late season? Reason I ask is I have been reading Greg Millers books and he has some pretty good success over rubs and a lot are big woods public bucks early season (pre-rut). I think I am going to start paying a lot more attention to rubs from now on!

I am talking about early season rubs.During the rut i dont think you can pattern a deer.But during early season if i find an area in the timber concentrated with big rubs.Im hunting it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:24 am

jclaws wrote:
Brad Lamont wrote:So you say you hunt a lot of areas with big rubs, do you normally do that on rut hunts or early season/late season? Reason I ask is I have been reading Greg Millers books and he has some pretty good success over rubs and a lot are big woods public bucks early season (pre-rut). I think I am going to start paying a lot more attention to rubs from now on!

I am talking about early season rubs.During the rut i dont think you can pattern a deer.But during early season if i find an area in the timber concentrated with big rubs.Im hunting it.

If you are hunting November and have an area that overnight, rubs and scrapes show up it's a good place to set up. Means a doe is in heat in the area. There will be a lot of residual scent left from the doe and bucks will cruise through sniffing. You can often get a couple days out of this type situation.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:24 am

Interesting as every show I have watched of him and his boy is all outfitter hunts. I have a friend who does better then average and he says if your not around big rubs your not in the right area. On the other hand I have a friend that knocks down the bruisers out of state and he claims he cant hardly find a rub on the ground he hunts. The first guy hunts all season, the second guy is a rut hunter.[/quote]

I agree all of his "newer hunts" are all outfitted or premium land with super limited access, but a lot of his earlier year hunts were the big woods in northwest/north central Wi. He can be cocky, but I think he is one of the very few hunters that are "professional" that can hold their own away from the guided hunts if need be. I have read proven whitetail tactics, rub line secrets, and aggressive whitetail hunting, and now I am reading his most memorable hunts book or whatever its called. I recommend every serious hunter reading these books, I have honestly learned a ton from his books in the past month and a lot is "beast" style. I think he is very knowledgeable and his career could really take off if they dropped the guided hunts and went back to the public hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”