How far are your sets from buck beds.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
GRFox
500 Club

Re: How far are your sets from buck beds.

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:35 am

This year will be my first setting up on bedding, most are 75-150 in the open hardwoods.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:36 am

Most range from 100 to 200 yards.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:01 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
Stanley wrote:....I also think hunting public land is different and a more aggressive approach is necessary as you must to be the first hunter to have an encounter with a certain buck.

Not only that, but highly pressured deer rarely venture very far from their bed until after dark.. The
closer you are, the better chance you have of catching him during shooting hours..

Right, it ,s a fine-line.

Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:07 am

I had a buck last year that gave me only 2 tree options. 1 was 125 yards from bed. On that hunt the buck came under me with no shooting light left. Tree # 2 was only 35 or 40 yards from bed. I had sticks placed and was 1 strap away from setting stand. And one of the strap buckles swung into my stand. Clunk and the buck busted outta his bed.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:14 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:Most range from 100 to 200 yards.

X2
I'm too clumbsy to get any closer :roll:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:28 am

most are 30 to 100 yards. the area i hunt early season is one big bedding area with afew corn fields around the outer edges and a CRP right in the center of it all.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:04 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
Stanley wrote:....I also think hunting public land is different and a more aggressive approach is necessary as you must to be the first hunter to have an encounter with a certain buck.

Not only that, but highly pressured deer rarely venture very far from their bed until after dark.. The closer you are, the better chance you have of catching him during shooting hours..

Agree.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:07 am

Swampthing wrote:I had a buck last year that gave me only 2 tree options. 1 was 125 yards from bed. On that hunt the buck came under me with no shooting light left. Tree # 2 was only 35 or 40 yards from bed. I had sticks placed and was 1 strap away from setting stand. And one of the strap buckles swung into my stand. Clunk and the buck busted outta his bed.

Would you that bad luck or bad preparation? Just curious.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:16 am

It depends on the terrain I am hunting. Hill country open woods about 100-150 yards in an old clearcut 50-100 depending on the area and how open or thick it is.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:57 am

Stanley wrote:
Swampthing wrote:I had a buck last year that gave me only 2 tree options. 1 was 125 yards from bed. On that hunt the buck came under me with no shooting light left. Tree # 2 was only 35 or 40 yards from bed. I had sticks placed and was 1 strap away from setting stand. And one of the strap buckles swung into my stand. Clunk and the buck busted outta his bed.

Would you that bad luck or bad preparation? Just curious.

Bad preperation, I was rushing the set. And that.s when a guy often slips up.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:29 am

cornfedkiller wrote:[
Not only that, but highly pressured deer rarely venture very far from their bed until after dark.. The closer you are, the better chance you have of catching him during shooting hours..

thtas when you hunt the staging areas ........."ive" noticed in hill country that even pressured bucks will stage with in 40 to 50 yards of there beds

i think the only way they stay bedded until dark is when there alerted or know something or someone is near by
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:48 am

Swampthing wrote:Bad preperation, I was rushing the set. And that.s when a guy often slips up.

were you pressed for time or just excited? This will be my first year setting up close to bedded bucks and i can see myself making that mistake.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:52 am

TIP:
Go real early... Bucks are "groggy" midday but lay in there beds more alert mid to late afternoon.
You can get away with a little more setting up early, and if you accidentally make a noise it allows enough time for the buck to forget about it... Also, being early affords you the ability to take your time and go snail slow.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:56 am

KLEMZ wrote:
Swampthing wrote:Bad preperation, I was rushing the set. And that.s when a guy often slips up.

were you pressed for time or just excited? This will be my first year setting up close to bedded bucks and i can see myself making that mistake.

some friendly advice ;) go slow, slow down..did i mention slow .... slow is the key you have all the time in the afternoon to make it to yor stand with plenty of time... you need to make time if you dont have it wait to hunt it another day when you have that time , i also dont like rusing into my set ups, i like to go slow ,look ,listen, and feel the wind, it all goes together with success.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:21 pm

The wind changed that day , so it was a spur of the moment hunt. I thought the stars were alligning for me that day. Oh well, if you never screw up ,you never learn anything new.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”