How far are your sets from buck beds.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: How far are your sets from buck beds.

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Before 2 years ago I'd hunt with In 200 yards of where I "thought" a buck was bedding. The last 2 years I've been getting a little closer to his beds. Sometimes with In 50 yards. Spooked him once doing so not knowing he was bedding In this particular spot before. He came back 4.5 hours later and I almost shot him. :(

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Depends on visibility and ease/sound of intrusion. Most are 60-200 yards. I may have pushed under 60 in marsh country.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Swampthing wrote:The wind changed that day , so it was a spur of the moment hunt. I thought the stars were alligning for me that day. Oh well, if you never screw up ,you never learn anything new.

excatly i hear ya swamp thing 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DeereGuy

Unread postby DeereGuy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Mine are 50 to 200 yards...wind and evening or morning will determine which I use.
Be safe and enjoy!
Bob
2011 Parker Enforcer
1976 Bear Kodaik Magum Recurve
Summit Viper SD climber
Ameritech Stackhouse ground blind
Grim Reaper 100gr. Razor Cut SS 3 blade 1.75 broadheads
2 Wildgame D8 trail cams
Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport 450 RF
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm

In the AM I sit right over the top of the bed in a lot of my set ups. 20 yards. They don't seem as consistant to staying on the trail in the morning. Especially on wind based beds. Although they seem to leave a bed on the normal rought to the staging area before moving off to food, in the AM they tend to like the wind to there backs so they can smell if they are being tracked to there bed...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:07 pm

dan wrote:In the AM I sit right over the top of the bed in a lot of my set ups. 20 yards. They don't seem as consistant to staying on the trail in the morning. Especially on wind based beds. Although they seem to leave a bed on the normal rought to the staging area before moving off to food, in the AM they tend to like the wind to there backs so they can smell if they are being tracked to there bed...

is this for hill country or marsh may i ask :?:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:35 pm

BigHunt wrote:
dan wrote:In the AM I sit right over the top of the bed in a lot of my set ups. 20 yards. They don't seem as consistant to staying on the trail in the morning. Especially on wind based beds. Although they seem to leave a bed on the normal rought to the staging area before moving off to food, in the AM they tend to like the wind to there backs so they can smell if they are being tracked to there bed...

is this for hill country or marsh may i ask :?:

Both
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:17 pm

at frist when you say right over the bed... you make it sound like right in the exact tree the deer is bedded under :? :?

and i thought in hill country from my experiance that deer come into there bedds with the wind in there face scent checking the beding area then turn around bed with the wind on there back smelling whats behind them and looking and wacthing there entry trail
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:17 pm

BigHunt wrote:at frist when you say right over the bed... you make it sound like right in the exact tree the deer is bedded under :? :?

and i thought in hill country from my experiance that deer come into there bedds with the wind in there face scent checking the beding area then turn around bed with the wind on there back smelling whats behind them and looking and wacthing there entry trail

My experiance has been that deer usually approach beds with wind to back so they can smell tracking predators.
The exception in ghill country is we see a lot come from below apparently to bed in relation to thermal currents, but often those currents have not yet taken effect yet at the time they bed... I still hunt where I can shoot to the bed and try and use wind and terrain to keep my funk away from the bucks nose.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:34 pm

dan wrote: My experiance has been that deer usually approach beds with wind to back so they can smell tracking predators.
The exception in ghill country is we see a lot come from below apparently to bed in relation to thermal currents, but often those currents have not yet taken effect yet at the time they bed... I still hunt where I can shoot to the bed and try and use wind and terrain to keep my funk away from the bucks nose.

So are you saying that you typically sit upwind of the bed and try to shoot the buck as he passes you, or do you sit like 20 yards downwind from the bed and shoot the buck when he gets to the bed?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:26 pm

dan wrote:
BigHunt wrote:at frist when you say right over the bed... you make it sound like right in the exact tree the deer is bedded under :? :?

My experiance has been that deer usually approach beds with wind to back so they can smell tracking predators.

good info dan nice 8-) your funk huh :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:37 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
dan wrote: My experiance has been that deer usually approach beds with wind to back so they can smell tracking predators.

So are you saying that you typically sit upwind of the bed and try to shoot the buck as he passes you, or do you sit like 20 yards downwind from the bed and shoot the buck when he gets to the bed?

I try and sit high... ON THE CROSS WIND side that is least likely to be up wind of the bucks approach. Its going to vary with each set up.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:10 am

The exception in ghill country is we see a lot come from below apparently to bed in relation to thermal currents, but often those currents have not yet taken effect yet at the time they bed... [glow=red]I still hunt where I can shoot to the bed[/glow]and try and use wind and terrain to keep my funk away from the bucks nose.

I think this is key, otherwise you could be there all day looking at this buck with no possible shot. Sooner or later your likely to get busted, before you get him up and in a shooting position. This morning technique seems to work well for Andrea on his farms (as seen on the dvd Dan sells) but Dan dont you find morning hunts on public extremely difficult, since those bucks are getting back prior to day light?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:32 am

kenn1320 wrote:
The exception in ghill country is we see a lot come from below apparently to bed in relation to thermal currents, but often those currents have not yet taken effect yet at the time they bed... [glow=red]I still hunt where I can shoot to the bed[/glow]and try and use wind and terrain to keep my funk away from the bucks nose.

I think this is key, otherwise you could be there all day looking at this buck with no possible shot. Sooner or later your likely to get busted, before you get him up and in a shooting position. This morning technique seems to work well for Andrea on his farms (as seen on the dvd Dan sells) but Dan dont you find morning hunts on public extremely difficult, since those bucks are getting back prior to day light?

Ken, I see a little more nocturnalisim on the public pressured land, but still see good results by hunting the right moon. If anything, I would say its even more important on pressured land...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”