How would you hunt a buck bedded in the middle of CRP.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

How would you hunt a buck bedded in the middle of CRP.

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:11 am

What would your strategy be for hunting a buck bedding in the middle of crp no trees? Take into consideration most crp is highly erodible ground so its not flat, but not considered hill ground.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dreaming bucks

Re: How would you hunt a buck bedded in the middle of CRP.

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:29 am

Ok, I will take a shot at this one....

How about scouting that bed early in the spring to look for his access and exit routes ? If he is coming out of your woods in the morning and bedding in the CRP, just maybe you could get a crack at him as he is coming out of the woods ?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:56 am

Maybe push him out of that bed to an area you can more easily hunt, see Indiana's recent stacking thread. I also might try to determine his entrance to his bed and hunt him in the morning when the moon is right.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:00 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Ok, I will take a shot at this one....

How about scouting that bed early in the spring to look for his access and exit routes ? If he is coming out of your woods in the morning and bedding in the CRP, just maybe you could get a crack at him as he is coming out of the woods ?

Good plan.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:01 am

headgear wrote:Maybe push him out of that bed to an area you can more easily hunt, see Indiana's recent stacking thread. I also might try to determine his entrance to his bed and hunt him in the morning when the moon is right.

Not a bad idea.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:16 am

Find his main routes/trails going to his bed(s) and dig little teeney pit blinds on downwind sides of the trails. By pit blind I mean dig it down so you can sit your but on the lip of the hole and your feet are the only things actually in the hole. 15/20 yards off the trail should give you a good shot opportunity. Drive your truck across the field perpendicular to the trails to make a shooting lane he won't think twice about And it only leaves truck scent rather than yours.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:20 am

muddy wrote:Find his main routes/trails going to his bed(s) and dig little teeney pit blinds on downwind sides of the trails. By pit blind I mean dig it down so you can sit your but on the lip of the hole and your feet are the only things actually in the hole. 15/20 yards off the trail should give you a good shot opportunity. Drive your truck across the field perpendicular to the trails to make a shooting lane he won't think twice about And it only leaves truck scent rather than yours.

My thoughts were on this approach also (pit blind). Great idea.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:30 am

great idea. Would be nice to see a pic of this field.
Scout this bed in the off-season and figure his entrance/exit routes....Use the dips in the field to make your entrance to a pit blind set-up. and drive over the crp in a truck accordingly......either that or build a giant pit-fall on his exit route during this offseason ;)
When better is possible, good is never good enough
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:34 am

If you're not opposed to gun hunting Then drop a big round.d hay bale here and there according to several wind conditions and sited park a blind next to them or build a blind next to them using regular hay bales. Be an early to the blind situation And likely sit all day in areas you can see the area well.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:01 am

I know this question is hypothetical so here is a crack at two scenarios and offer some clarification on stacking. Like others have said if there is available timber whether in a fence row bordering a crop field or just a wood lot I would find his entrance and exit trails from the bed in the off season and intersect him with his entrance to crop fields being the most preferred. If there is no available timber nearby to ambush him then some type of blind may be necessary unless you are an exceptional stalker however I feel a blind set up WELL before season is the best plan of attack with no other cover. Stacking. If I could set up on the buck any other way I would, however if you have a chunck of woods or CRP and there is no other option for approach then stacking could be an option. You have to be pretty sure WHERE he is going to locate to before you every attempt this and in this particular scenario I would personally go with a blind. I haven't hunted many CRP fields where it would be impossible to set up in a blind. If this were a real situation though I would personally feel it is too close to season even now to set up a new structure close to a bucks bed without spooking him and causing him to avoid coming through the area. I would set a blind in July if no cover was available and I would push him out preparing the area using a tractor or quad or somethng before I just walked out there. They are less likely to be irreversabley spooked for the season as they are acustomed to seeing people on machinery. The bale blinds would be awesome.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:17 am

I like the pit and blind ideas as well. Hypothetically this deer is screwed! :D
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:28 am

How about a Trojan Deer approach :)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:34 am

RaisedByWolves wrote:great idea. Would be nice to see a pic of this field.
Scout this bed in the off-season and figure his entrance/exit routes....Use the dips in the field to make your entrance to a pit blind set-up. and drive over the crp in a truck accordingly......either that or build a giant pit-fall on his exit route during this offseason ;)

This is just a hypothetical scenario. I saw a similar question on another site and though it would be a good brain exorcise. Plus some guys do hunt CRP ground might be beneficial to them.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:53 am

Without a map and aerial to view, I would say have your buddy push him out during gun season. :mrgreen:

Now bowhunting?... would need somemore details.
You can't kill em on the couch
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:56 am

If I could get up high from afar and see exactly where the deer was bedded in the field on a windy/rainy day, I would try a stalk on him. It's more risky, but some of my funnest and most memorable hunts have been stalks. If you do it right, even if he suspects something and blows out of there, you can still dig your pit blind and wait for him to come back the next morning.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”